Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A Challenge

A Challenge

Did I get your attention?
    I pretty much dismiss this board as it tends to cater to children. Not meaning to be insulting but let's face it. A lot of the people who post here are teenage wannabes. That's fine. I was one myself many years ago. When I was young Kung Fu was on TV. THen a karate guy came to my small New England Town and did a demo and said he would have classes at the YMCA on Thursdays...Wait that's when Kung FU was on. So...... did I really want to do it or just watch it? So, I did it. And still do.
    So here's my challenge. Let's make this small part of this board (as internal martial artists) worth reading and responding to. I am a very busy real estate investor, teacher and dad. I will try to do my part. You have seen in the past what a waste of time it is to have someone like backbreaker here simply because they might buy tapes. So you decide. I'm tired of the stupid sniping. What do you want from this board. The mods seem to be gutless (and yes Phil, I'm talking to you). BTW you have to unban Bai He
    That's all,
    Buddy

Yeah, why was Bai He banned? He went apesh!t on trolls but I never saw him argue with anyone who had anything worthwhile to say. Unless you banned him 'cause you somehow associate him with the trolls (who NEEDED to get smacked down anyway). That seems a bit arbitrary.

The banning of BAI HE and backbreaker was a decision not just by me. I warned BAI HE and backbreaker more times than I have fingers on my hand. We exchanged private messages back and forth and I told both of them to stop this crap and petty bickering. BAI HE agreed he would leave backbreaker alone and backbreaker the same to BAI HE.

Let's try and put it this way, in a bit of an extreme sense. If a man steals from my dad, I have no right to steal from that man. When one person trolls, flaming the troll will get you in just as much trouble. I observed the stuff that backbreaker and BAI HE said to one another. I told both of them that if one starts trouble, to send me a message. What did it for BAI HE was when he made a statement about backbreaker's mom and the Hell's Angels biker gang when backbreaker, in the thread, said nothing to him. backbrekaer then defended himself, and BAI HE quickly sent me an e-mail to say that backbreaker was starting crap. I read the thread, and saw that backbreaker had said nothing to BAI HE and BAI HE appeared on the thread flaming backbreaker. I then locked the thread until Gene could look at it.

I have no power over banning. My job is to let the adminitrators know who is causing trouble. Once they saw what was going on, they decided that BAI HE has had enough warnings. Then backbreaker, being the bright fellow he is (and I told him several times to stop flooding the message board), decided to start slamming you Buddy. So I locked the thread and sent a message to Gene. 15 minutes later I got a response and backbreaker was gone. I then reopened the thread.

The reason BAI HE was banned was because he decided to take it upon himself to insult backbreaker and insult his mother. backbreaker got banned because he decided to be rude to you. I respect you Buddy, and I understand what you are getting at. But the fact is, my job is to be sure people are not cursing one another out, making insults about there mothers, and what not.

I tried to be mature about it, I tried to find alternative methods. I spent an hour and a half sending messages back and forth when I gave my final warning to both of them. BAI HE had no reason to insult backbreaker, just like backbreaker had no reason to do it to you. That is why they are banned. I hated doing it, I really did. I felt it as the last possible choice, and went as far as to weed out threads that had the 2 of them bickering back and forth to try and keep a decent discussion. When BAI HE decided to insult backbreaker, then came whining to me, I realized it would never end. I can not be here 24/7 removing every unwanted post. If people want to talk about other people's moms, don't bring it to the public.

If BAI HE wants to return, tell him to e-mail Gene. His e-mail can be found in the About section of the site. Maybe Gene will let him come back.
    Last edited by PHILBERT; 05-01-2004 at 11:40 PM.
    I have a signature.

So, when you get rid of a perreniel trouble maker, you take the expedient way out to show you're impartial by jacking someone who called him on his bs?

Bai-He is a good guy who often contributes meaningful thought out statements to our community.

Backbreaker is an annoying maggot who on one occasion last year threatened to break my bones and smash my face for telling him he was annoying. He didn't man up then either.

Philbert, you are giving off the energy of an adolescent trailerpark mother who unable to deal with the fact that she has responsibility, hits anything that annoys her so she can get back to the important business of Oprah and a Benson and Hedges.

I encourage you to take it on yourself to look at the records of both involved "in depth" and maybe say you were a little wrong and that happens and let Bai-He back.

It's the right thing to do, man.

S

You fail to realize, there are RULES to viewing these boards. You are not paying them to look here. You came here and post here for free. They make the rules and regulations. If they want to ban someone for no reason, they can, and there is nothing you can do to stop them. This is not a democracy on these boards, so you can't vote who stays and who goes.

By following the rules, you will increase the chances of staying. By breaking them, which BAI HE did, you will be banned. BAI HE wrote libel about backbreaker's mother. Wheather or not backbreaker was a troll was beside the point. I told BAI HE on more than one occasion to stop insulting backbreaker. I told backbreaker on more than one occasion to stop insulting anyone on here who disagrees with him. BAI HE agreed. backbreaker agreed. Neither lasted 2 months and both got banned. As I said, if BAI HE wants to return, e-mail Gene and apologize. Maybe Gene will allow him back.
    I have a signature.

The point I'm trying to make is that you ignored these "rules" with backbreaker for a million years.

If you don't want to be seen as inconsistant, judgemental and petty give Bai-He the same chances you gave someone who is a thousand times worse.

Otherwise your method is skewed.

S

WOW! No kidding! Shawn is SO right. What about when Crazymaddrunk (for example) was on here CONSTANTLY making comments about MY mother, father, grandparents, etc. and saying I was doing all sorts of horrible things with them? And I simply responded to him politely and calmly, again and again...and AGAIN! He was making similar comments about many others too, ALL OVER the forum, but it took forever before HE disappeared (I don't even know if he was banned or not, but I haven't seen him for awhile).

Then Bai He takes the initiative in a verbal attack ONCE and "POOF" he's gone! We all realize that this forum isn't a democracy but it would still be nice to see at least a LITTLE fairness and balance for a change.

Well I just checked and SURE ENOUGH, even with all the garbage he spewed on a regular basis, Crazymaddrunk was never even banned. It's just like the real world, where murderers and child molesters get out of jail after a year (if they even go to jail in the first place) while a guy gets caught with a baggy of pot and they "make an example" of him by putting him away for 15 to 20.

Disappointing.

PS: And telling him to go to Gene and apologize when he wasn't even as bad as many others who were never even banned is an insult. It's like requiring him to get down on his knees while the real creeps stand around and smirk about it.
    Last edited by cerebus; 05-02-2004 at 04:21 PM.

As I said before, BAI HE did not just do it once. He did it several times too, then on top of that, he sent me a message saying backbreaker started it. When I looked at the thread, BAI HE was the one who started the trouble. As I said before, I can not be here 24/7. backbreaker had a tendency to edit his posts alot, and the only times I viewed him making any insults was when him and BAI HE got into it a few weeks ago (the first time BAI HE insulted him that I saw) and when I had him banned

Gene viewed those posts too before this happened, and agreed with me. I will also say what I told them. There is an amazing button that says "Report this post to moderator". If someone flames you, then send me a message. It will send a link to the very message you chose. I will then take the appropriate actions to that person.

In the end, BAI HE did NOT just flame backbreaker on once occasion. He did it on several, then tried to make it out to where backbreaker started it when BAI HE got banned. In fact, he clicked the "Report this post to moderator" and said something along the lines of (and this isn't an exact quote) "backbreaker is doing it again. I thought you said you would take care of it." When I reviewed it, I saw that the first post by backbreaker was an "lol! " or something like that, and about 3 posts down was BAI HE making comments about his mom. Did backbreaker edit it before I got to it? I don't know. He had a way of editing his posts alot, yet he would create new posts.
    I have a signature.

Well, I HAVE seen several instances where BB would throw a bunch of insults to get someone (not always Bai He) to respond in kind and then he would go back & edit his previous post, thereby making it look like HE was being attacked. He did it to me once but I saw what he'd done and edited my own response appropriately, but most people won't go back and re-read the conversation they've been having and WOULDN'T have caught it.

This may not have been the case with EVERY post of Bai He's, but I suspect it was the case at least a couple of times.

I'm gonna send this thread to Gene and let him do his $.02 on the subject. Not pushing for anyone to be banned or anything bad to happen, but let him see what he feels on the subject of the banning of BAI HE.
    I have a signature.

Sounds fair enough.

Well, I HAVE seen several instances where BB would throw a bunch of insults to get someone (not always Bai He) to respond in kind and then he would go back & edit his previous post, thereby making it look like HE was being attacked.
    Yeah, I noticed that too. He'd almost allways edit his posts after someone responded to them.

Hi guys, sorry I'm late to the party

Let me outline the process of banning here to clear things up a bit; it's is very simple. Moderators are alerted of ban candidates in two ways - first off is first hand. They notice that a particular member is troublesome - typically its obscenity that pushes us over, but to be honest, our censor filters are far from perfect and if we deleted all the obscenity, we'd delete most of the forum. So we do the best we can. The next is from the 'report post' button that was mentioned above. This is pretty powerful. You have no idea how many people lurk on the forums and use these. Only the moderators know. Plus a lot of people PM us all the time.

Actually, there is a third method - my bosses sometimes lurk and since they pay the bills, they have ultimate veto power on anything.

Anyway, once a member has sufficent evidence against them - direct observation, reports from others, PMS etc. the moderator gives a clear warning. In a nutshell, it will say something like "behave or you will be banned". We draw a line in the sand. If the member then chooses to cross that, they will be banned. Period.

Now, banning is a very simple process. I just flip a switch on or off. Typically, troll react in one of three ways. One is they come back apologetic. In such cases, we listen to their case, and usually give a second chance. Two is they come back all mad like "why the hell was I banned?" Nevermind the earlier warning - the "line in the sand" - this is a clear case of someone who doesn't get it. With that kind of attitude, they stay banned. One of the recent banned members reacted this way. Three is that the completely ignore it - it really wasn't a big deal for them. They move on. The other recently banned member has reacted this way.

We appreciate your concerns as members of this forum, but realize this was not an arbitrary decision, but one that we have been working on for a while. Nor is it a permanent decision. Also realize that you may be spending energy to fight some one else's fight, some one who has moved on. Don't waste your self.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

And I know which member isn't terribly concerned, so I'll not argue that point any further.

However the other one simply signed on under a new name (Backbreaker also uses the name "serious harm" on other forums, seems he's using it here now too).

Oh well, it's only a matter of time before he's trolling again. Have fun when it happens. Peace. T.