Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: side stance vs. front stance

Re: Back, outside gate

Originally posted by EvolutionFist

As far as outside gate, that can be taken anytime from anystance if the other guy is better.
    True, but it's a helluva lot easier to do if the pelvis is facing you at a 45 * angle (side stance) than if the pelvis is squared off to you (front stance)

Originally posted by dodger87
    I'm just assuming this from all the clips i've downloaded so correct me if i'm wrong. But people who tend to punch more use front stance (eg. boxers) and people who tend to kick use side stance (eg. Kickboxers )?
    not really. In muay thai, we don't use that stance. The two kicks I use most roundhouse and teep are done effectively froma front stance, as can my hook and sidekick. I don't really use a hook kick anymore, but in my younger days I loved that kick. Now I only use it when playing with a newbie. The sidekick I use defensively.

Now, in my point fighting days, I used a side stance. Like JP said, I could shoot side, snapping roundhouse and hook kicks of pretty quickly off of that lead leg.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

I try to avoid stances all together. I do bend my knees a bit, but I try to avoid picking a base stance.

Any body position that you fight, move and guard out of is a stance even if its a transitional stance. If I have the benefit of squaring up in a ready stance prior to a fight, then I have my most comfortable stance, but it usually dissolves away quickly depending on the tone of the oppoent and what seems to be appropriate at the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

I fight from a front stance, mostly, but transition to a side stance when I want to setup a sweep or a spinning kick.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

I tend to sqaure off with a front stance then slip into a side stance once I close in and /or get a good feel for what side my opponant is likely to favor. Then go back to a front stance when I'm atleast 1 1/2 striking distance away.
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

Why to you go into side stance when you are close? you are easier to throw in that stance.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

My master incorporates what he calls "a shooting stance," the position you would take shooting a hand gun. It has the benefits of both the side and square stance. I can maintain it on aproaching, but when I charge in to jam a kick I tend to over do it and wind up more sideways.

But that's why I'm training.

Is there a stance that is in between these two? Like a diagonal stance?

A "shooting stance" is a good way to describe the stance I tend to fight out of most of the time. It just feels very natural. I think one normally tends to end up in more of a side stance when jamming a kick. At least I do cause I use my hip to check their body when possible.
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Originally posted by dodger87
    Is there a stance that is in between these two? Like a diagonal stance?
    San Chin is kind'a in between, but it's very aukward, IMO.

7*, I go side ways as I close in for abvious reasons. As far as why I stay that way after closing? I have no idea. It just feels more natural.
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

Front, back, side-to-side...

I have to totally agree with Sev'. Having 50% of your arsenal taken away is never good. Another couple of things to look at. One, you can't protect that lead leg as well from a single-leg takedown. Using both hands to sprawl and protect (or strike), and being able to shoot your legs back is easier to do in a forward facing stance. The side-stance is a fairly solid stance against a push from the front (against the lead leg), but it is not as strong as a good natural length and width front stance, and is also weaker against a push from the side (to your body's anatomical anterior [face side of the body]).

Most importantly the cardinal rule of fighting is to not allow your opponent to "get your back". In a side-stance you are doing half the work for him. Your rear corner/quarter is right there. Bad strategy.

For sparring it can work; in point sparring. In real jiyu kumite you better be Superfoot, because ambidexterity is more practical than "one-sidedness". There is a 45 degree horse stance in Shorin Ryu (Kobayashi). It's a transitional and tegumi (Okinawan wrestling) stance done as kihon (basic) technique. Peace.
    Last edited by 'MegaPoint; 05-05-2004 at 10:38 PM.
    The morrow beckons...

I don't undestand why 50% of your arsenal has to be taken away.

As an example, look at Ba Gua's first palm change. There is a side that leads into the circle, but one of the points of the excersise is the train the back hand punching across the body, and getting power without having to hook it.

Also, the back leg can come up the center -- protecting your lower gate -- and attack anytime .... though I admit it is slower and easier to see, if done with good timing it has a lot of power as long as the weight and momentum are going forward..... ie, not leaning back for reach/hight.

Take for example the famous navel battle between the German battleship Bismarck and the Brittish battleship HMS Hood.
    The captain of the Hood steered the bow directly towards the Bismarck to minimize the exposed profile, making her a harder target to hit, and used the fore cannons to attack the Bismarck. The Bismarck's captain turned his battleship broadside to the Hood, increasing exposed area, but also bringing most of his available arsenal into play, all 8 cannons fore and aft as well as half of the other smaller side-mounted guns on the ship.
    The Hood's captain underestimated the accuracy of the Bismark's guns and having effectively taken most of his available weapons out of play, was no match for the German battleship and was quickly sunk to the bottom of the North Atlantic.

Of course there are exceptions, but I think some of this lesson can be applied across the board for different types of combat.

Consider the sandpeople, who always ride their banthas in single file, to conceal their numbers.

The cinnabun palm is deadly, especially when combined with the tomato kick. - TenTigers