Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Is southern mantis better than northern.

no worries, its sarcasm. i wanted to troll ego haha. i was bored...

ZhouJiaQuan:

Farmers from the south tried in vain to imitate all the fancy movements but in the end settled for imitating the name.

One thing I'll say about southern mantis is their strength in conditioning exercises. In regualr training, they'll spear their fingers in hot sand and practice chun choy kuen (iron head fist). In fact that's all they'll do, condition their hands and then other parts of their body.

Northern mantis relies on foot work, like a western boxer not to get hit. If a northern mantis gets cornered, they'll cover up and roll with the punches. Bouncing on your toes gives you mobility like boxercise.

Southern mantis will take the blows because they are not as fast on their feet.

As far as my historical knowledge of southern mantis, It developed completley independent of nothern mantis.

Hence, your statement,

[They]tried in vain to imitate all the fancy movements but in the end settled for imitating the name.
    is false.

(hehe this is fun)

first of all to ego-
    if you think SPM is so inefficient and ineffective, please feel free to come down to houston and fight anyone at my si gung henry poo yee's mantis school. u can fight others, but i have no affiliation with them and therefore have no idea if they accept challenges.

you trolls smoke too much...and they say us teenagers are always on drugs...

second about SPM and mantis

- i personally feel the movement of the body in SPM make it resemblea mantis more than northern styles do.

third who is better?

-i hate these questions. how can you say one style is better? every style has its own legacy. one style may take longer to perfect than others like taiji "taiji shi nian bu chu, tai ji does not come out for ten years", but this does not mean in the end one style is "better" than another. you would never find out, for most masters have cross trained at least two styles. my sifu for one, was one of the disciples of gong bao zhai (gong bao tian bagua chuan) in taiwan, and his proficiency in bagua allowed him to learn other styles faster, for he was able to find teh connection between them. right now he belongs to the last group of discipes of si gong henry poo yee, and due to his internal background, is able to grasp the internal essence of jook lum. skill builds over time, and one can of course gain high skill with just one style. but is southern mantis really more "deep" than northern? if one looks at the known masters today of southern and northern, in my opinion the sotuhern have reached a higher level of gong fu. this is not to discredit teh northern at all, and realise i said KNOWN masters. james syun of eight step mantis is also highly skilled. his teacher wei hsiao tang in the past was reportedly to have fought 70+ people and managed to injur many. wei hsiao tang is a prime example of northern skill.

Re:

Hello htowndragon! Hopefully Ego will accept your offer(highly doubt
    it)and if Ego feels Houston might be conveniently too far for him to
    go then if Minnesota is any closer to Ego then he may also come here
    and test my hands or others at the St.Paul school.
    Last edited by Jook Lum; 05-12-2004 at 09:00 PM.

htowndragon,

first: I stand by what I say about southern mantis.

Second: What sort of kung fu practitioner are you to issue a challenge but getting your poor old si gung to fight in your place. You are a joke.

thrid: But to be totally serious with you, if you dare issue a personal challenge with me, I will accept and defeat you even though I'm in a wheel chair.

Be careful... Ego is good...

but only at being a troll...

serisouly hes gotten good at this trolling thing. see how he avoids certain points, then changes others (ie the si gung fighting thing)... possibly its just poor reading comprehension, but i think the first possibility is more likely

challenge

this is my last reply to ego cuz this is the only first time i have talkin to him and i am already tired of him.

i dont represent southern mantis, i have not yet begun fully training spm, i only train the tin sing chi kung and a few hands.

i am currently training gong bao tian bagua, and my sifu has told me that i must complete one or at least reach a certain level in one style before training the other, and it makes perfect sense. in other words, fighting me would prove nothing about SPM

about challenging me, well im 16 and if you came looking for me my mom would freak out and use her mama fu and kick ur ass before i could even get my shoes tied. so ya no challenge.

do u always like to twist peoples words?

y hasnt gene banned this guy?

ego, how high did you score on your SATs?
    Last edited by htowndragon; 05-13-2004 at 02:43 PM.

ego is a dysfunctional sophist *******. He can kiss my ass from his chair if he can't see the point in respecting others. All the time he spends typing on here is a waste of oxygen.

I say this because I love him.

-David

htowndragon,

You should listen to your sifu and not pick fight when you're not ready. Your sifu might have been beaten enough times to know not to mess with northern kung fu.

In anycase, you need parental consent from your mummy, that's only if she remembers to tie your shoe lace. If she's in a bad mood, you probably go to bed hungry without dinner.

Fancy that, a mummy's boy trying to be tough by learning southern kung fu. You're nothing but a mummy's boy and probably a cry baby that gets picked on at school by juniors and girls.

David,

It sounds like htowndragon has now gotten you to take up the challenge on his behalf. It looks like you're on the way of accepting this - which makes you an @ss kissing fool.

Talking

first off about the not ready thing, well probably so. i guess growing up being trained in houston's chinatown and crossing hands with peopel for 7 years doesn't really count does it? but of course i can't measure up to your ultimate northern skill which is so much better than wei hsiao tangs eight step mantis descendants, han ching tan tai zu long fist people, northern shaolin people.. (rambles on the different styles in chinatown)..

why you hate the southern styles so much? is it just mantis? or southern in general? and i never said northern sucked i clearly stated that it depends on the person and i wasn't picking sides. i don't purely do southern mantis. hell, im still training my bagua before my sifu will let me train mantis, but like you, im just sticking up to what i believe which is, it depends on the person, there is no one that is "better".

btw ego, wut style do u do

Originally posted by dturner
    and whats the diffrence between northern kung fu and southern.
    i am currently writing a book for a school project on the origins and history of chinese martial arts. i included a section on the differences when talkin about mantis:

1. In Northern China, the weather was cold, and the ground was more solid. Because of this, the people could afford to move around more, and have "longer bridges" and longer movements.

2. Southern China was more icy, and people traveled on boats a lot. Take wing chun for instance, many of the early practioners were opera people on the "junks". therefore the couild not move around as freely, and had to maintan close contact to their opponent, and moved in shorter steps.

there is a saying "northern legs, southern fist", but every good style manages to blanace this out. every good style has three energys, long, short and middle, but the outter characteristics are still pretty accurate.

htowndragon,

No you probably can't measure up to even a 7 year old because you can't tie even your shoe lace and have to run to your mummy for protection.

You ain't one bit like me. I was in nam at your age doing real sh1t.

I think your school project is cr@p. China is a big place, were exactly is the northern ground more solid than the south? It is true that some southern styles were developed on boats. The boats were called junks because they became closely associated with those styles. They performed in operas instead of fighting the government soldiers because they're junk.

How does someone bound to a wheelchair use all of the high flying kicks and spins? Maybe you should take up boxing.
    CPA's current P4P List:
    -Bas Rutten
    -Captain Jack Sparrow
    -Cindy Lauper
    -Lester Moonvest

LOL! The closest Ego has been to "Nam" is sitting on his couch watching war movies on Pay-Per-View! And, no, he's not in a wheelchair (he's not even old enough to have ever been in the Vietnam conflict, though he may have changed his birthdate on his profile, I haven't checked recently). He's just a troll out trolling for responses by saying foolish things which he knows are foolish, that's all.