Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Is southern mantis better than northern.

I was gonna say...
    CPA's current P4P List:
    -Bas Rutten
    -Captain Jack Sparrow
    -Cindy Lauper
    -Lester Moonvest

Htowndragon, you've never been to southern China have you? It never freezes, the temperature never drops below 7 celsius. As opposed to the north, where it snows heavily every winter. Why's Wing Chun the way it is? Because it's descended from Fujian systems, which often utilise the same stances, nothing to do with boats at all.
    Which is better, northern or southern mantis? I don't know, I find them both unnattractive, and I'm sure they're both just as effective in a fight.
    Here's a thought, is southern mantis more about the internal anmimal character? While there's little physical mimicry in SPM, I can see how some techniques would imply a mantis spirit or flavour. This is true of certain other animal styles, so maybe here as well.
    "The man who stands for nothing is likely to fall for anything"
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk

ben

nope. never been to china, my family is from taiwan and are scared sh1tless of the political crap so i wont be going until 2008 with my sifu for the olympics.

as i recall, both parts of china are cold, and i had a friend from fujian told me that it gets very cold there. and as for the wing chun thing, i am positive im correct on that. the "junks" and all. well, maybe that isnt the complete reason, but i know that it is part of the reason. (interviewed many reputable wing chun schools)

Weather

Well, everything always depends on definitions, doesn't it?

Cold...I used to live on the Gulf of Mexico for a few years. In the wintertime, it got to be below freezing a few times. They say it also snows once every 5-10 years, but the snow doesn't stick. Well, given the fact that the summers are scorching hot and humid (by any standards), it is no surprise then that the locals thought it was really, really cold during some of those winter months. As for me, I loved it...

But to say both parts of China are cold is a little peculiar as that would indicate they are cold by the same definition. In the case of China, that might not be the case. Of course, then we would have to define "north" and "south" first, but...

Fuzhou is in Fujian. Annual lows are above freezing (http://www.travelchinaguide.com/climate/fuzhou.htm), so it isn't all that "icy"..(except if the Gulf Coast is "snowy" then, too... )

Here's some more weather info on China: http://www.travelchinaguide.com/climate/index.htm

Not that this whole thing really is a big deal or anything, but to correct any possible misunderstandings...

Peace

Mika
    ”The freethinking of one age is the common sense of the next.” Matthew Arnold

Exercise Masters
    Potkua!
    Fen Lan Tang Lang Men

Originally posted by Ben Gash
    Which is better, northern or southern mantis? I don't know, I find them both unnattractive, and I'm sure they're both just as effective in a fight.
    Really? Hmm...I mean, it's a matter of personal opinion, of course, but since you are a Choy Lee Fut fighter (right?) I would think you might appreciate some Northern Mantis a little as there are quite a few similarites, from my limited experience - as well as there are differences.

http://www.mantismartialart.com/demofight-2.WMV

Like that at all? No matter, just curious...

//mika
    ”The freethinking of one age is the common sense of the next.” Matthew Arnold

Exercise Masters
    Potkua!
    Fen Lan Tang Lang Men

Originally posted by Ego_Extrodinaire
    You ain't one bit like me. I was in nam at your age doing real sh1t.
    A good job he is not like you, because he would be a liar!

Your profile says you were born in December 1960, which means you could only volunteer or be drafted when you were 16, i.e. December 1976. I'm not sure how long basic training is in the US armed forces, but it should take at least 2-3 months, which means you couldn't possibly have been in Vietnam before March 1977.

But Saigon fell at the end of April 1975, effectively signalling the end of US involvement in Vietnam. You would have been 2 years too late to see action. See http://servercc.oakton.edu/~wittman/chronol.htm for a timeline.
    Last edited by CFT; 05-17-2004 at 08:37 AM.

CFT:

I had to lie about my age to sign up for nam. I was a big guy for my age.

Ben Gash:

You have not been to china. The last I heard you're an english boy trying to learn french.

htowndragon:

ben Gash is right, so stop trolling kiddo. Southern china is much warmer than the north. If you haven't figured out what's hot or cold you have no hope.

In anycase, why do you want to learn southern kung fu when it's clearly junk kung fu. I am one who is prepared to rock the boat. It's about time someone spoke out.

Mika:

Are you saying that people fight differently when it's hot or cold. That could be why Russians do a lot of wrestling to keep nice and warm. Whereas, wing chun does short and abbreviated movements because in the south it doesn't take much to work up a sweat.

CLF was developed when wing chuners fell off their junks and into the water. Those poor ole farmers who could not swim thrashed around until they drowned. their threshing around became clf.

lol, anyone ever seen ego's old website?

htowndragon:

ben Gash is right, so stop trolling kiddo. Southern china is much warmer than the north. If you haven't figured out what's hot or cold you have no hope.

In anycase, why do you want to learn southern kung fu when it's clearly junk kung fu. I am one who is prepared to rock the boat. It's about time someone spoke out.

STOP TROLLING KIDDO????? LMAO (isnt that what youve been doing.....). i have nothing to hide i am who i say i am. 16 year old chinese american from htown. disciple of eugene chou. i am actaully well known in houstons chinese community. why do i want to learn "southern styles"? well did you know that bagua came from SOUTHERN 18 lohan from the FUJIEN TEMPLE? (most people insist that bagua is northern, but its roots are sotuhern).

AND WHAT STYLE DO YOU DO ANYWAY???????????

ok about the southern thing, wing chun, southern mantis, etc. was practiced more in the guangzhou province rather than fujien. it seems that the weather is not that hot in either of those places, but a lot of them DID travel by boat.
    Last edited by htowndragon; 05-17-2004 at 07:17 AM.

I had to lie about my age to sign up for nam. I was a big guy for my age.
    Nice try, but from the previous Vietnam chronolgy website:

March 29, 1973
    Last U.S. combat troops leave Vietnam.

There is no way a 12 year old can lie about being 16, no matter how big they are for their age.

CLF was developed when wing chuners fell off their junks and into the water. Those poor ole farmers who could not swim thrashed around until they drowned. their threshing around became clf.
    No, the creation story for CLF doesn't involve Wing Chun at all. CLF is a synthesis of Choy/Li family styles and Shaolin.

I know you enjoy trolling, but this is just too easy

CFT:

I lied about my age then and now.

That kiddo seems to think so ( creation story of CLF has to do with wing chun). Some people think that clf was created in 6 days and the farmer rested on the 7th. Based on it's quality, it seems about right.

htowndragon:

No, you're the kiddo and you're a troll. btw, cft thinks you're wrong with your creation story of clf. ever learned the theory of evolution at school or perhaps southern kung fu has reached it's evolutionary dead end.

What has being well known in the chinese community at Houston got to do with kung fu kiddo? It's either you're the runt of the litter hence infamous amongst the community members - picking challenges on the forum or you're a darn good @ss kisser with to your uncles.

The southerners knew ba gua was good so they fabricated a history to claim it as their own. Just as the southerners knew that northern mantis was good so they did a name change on their style and called it mantis. see the trend there kiddo?

Brad:

I haven't because I don't have a website.

Did you guys know that Ego is a big Smurf fan? He loves Smurfs! He sings the Smurf song all time. He even uses the word "Smurfy" in conversations. And at night he falls to sleep tucked into his bed all cuddled up with his favorite plush Smurf dolls. True.

I lied about my age then and now.
    Yes, you were not 16 in 1972; you're probably 16 now rather than 43.

Your use of language and immaturity suggests this.

That kiddo seems to think so ( creation story of CLF has to do with wing chun). Some people think that clf was created in 6 days and the farmer rested on the 7th. Based on it's quality, it seems about right.
    You're not Hakka by any chance? You seem to have a culturally inherited hatred of the Southern Chinese, especially if they're farmers and/or martial artists.

If you read any online article or book on Choy Li Fut, including the Kung Fu magazine e-zine, you will find that CLF has nothing to do with Wing Chun.

htowndragon:

No, you're the kiddo and you're a troll. btw, cft thinks you're wrong with your creation story of clf. ever learned the theory of evolution at school or perhaps southern kung fu has reached it's evolutionary dead end.
    htowndragon made no mention of CLF. The incorrect creation story of CLF was proposed by you, along with a diatribe against Southern Chinese farmers.

There is no evolutionary dead end to Southern Chinese kung fu or any other martial art, as long as the practitioners continue to train realistically, be able to apply their art against a resisting opponent, take on board new training practices and innovate where necessary.

Next ....
    Last edited by CFT; 05-18-2004 at 07:33 AM.

Shows how much you know Kelvin, I lived in HK for 2 1/2 years Haven't you got an ex to stalk?
    Mika, I quite like some 8 steps stuff which is somewhat similar, but 7 stars never really does it for me (and I've done both).
    Htown dragon, the junk story is part of Wing Chun Lore, so even very respectable teachers will tell you it. The truth is that Wing Chun lineage was within the red junk opera for a time, but the stances in Wing Chun are all but identical to those found in Fujian Crane or Wuzhuquan.
    "The man who stands for nothing is likely to fall for anything"
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk

correction about my southern/northern thing: soutehrn is more humid, there is less space, ground more muddy, therefore they use less lower body movement. MY BAD!!!!! lol sorry for the wrong info.

yeah i have noticed a lot of similarities between white cane, southern mantis, white eyebrow, southern dragon, wing chun, five ancestors, etc. i have heard that the "siem kuen" (zen/chan fist) of jook lum tong long and five ancestors fist came form the same source. as for three arrow step sam bo jim (san bu jien in mandarin), i know that jook lum (zhu lin) is not the only pai to have that form ( if i remeber correctly, white crane has it too). i have heard that okinawan karate has a three step form (which they learned from white crane and oen of the forms they kept more pure).

o and ego makes me laff. that guy cant read.