Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Is southern mantis better than northern.

Ive never studied NPM so I wont tell you what it is not. Instead I will tell you what SPM is. To say that SPM doesnt imitate the movement of the praying mantis is just plain wrong. The hanging out of the arms and crushing in/ripping out movements of the Sarm bo jin are evidence of this. The use of the drop fist also illustrates my piont. Also the aggresive and evassive tactics the mantis displays are employed in the system(Chow Gar). I have seen demonstrations of NPM and have to say that it looks pretty effective even though I dont understand a lot of the movements. I like to think of NPM practisioners as cousins not rivals. The fact that we have both claimed the insect does not mean that we cant share it. So to conclude the movements of the mantis are present in SPM just not as obvious due to the compact nature of the techniques.

Cerebus:

It seems like you're a troll.

CFT:

I'm not aware of chinese to know that hakka dislikes southerners. I always thought that hakka was a war dance by the New Zealand natives.

BenGash:

You're a troll who probably stalks girls in real life not to mention having an unhwholesome interest in the goktimus website.

htowndragon:

It must be the case then that you won't want to do big movements when it's humid or when you're in a boat. The southerners also got it all mixed up will chinese opera which happened to originate from red junks. Those style you mentioned are junk boat styles from farmers who turned fishermen. Cerebus is disagreeing with you as he probably thinks you're a syupid kiddo.

guy incognito:

So you're speaking out of ignorence. SPM doesn't look like a mantis at all. where's the famous hook hand hold in that style. Instead it's replaced by a boring pheonix eye fist.

Southern Mantis does often look like the insect its named after and its techniques take after it even more.

No time like the present to get a life, ego extranious.

Rgds,
    David

Re:Ego

The empty vessel makes the most noise!

And wow are you loud!

The best part about it is that you are actually in your posts having
    an argument with yourself and losing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by Jook Lum; 05-19-2004 at 09:17 PM.

Oh, sweet irony
    "The man who stands for nothing is likely to fall for anything"
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk

David,

No it doesn't look like a mantis. the hand shape is all wrong. If you want to be good with your hands, it's best to learn western boxing, it can take the spm head clean off.

Jook Lum,

It is southern kung fu that bangs on gongs and drums to make plenty of noise with dressed up lion in a deafening fanfare. Accordingly I have to 'speak loud' on this forum to such practitioners.

Losing? who's keeping score.

Ben Gash,

What irony, no takers for your fetish over goktimus. It's sad to think that you studied his pictures to point out his faults. He must have really gotten under your skin, might even by your ex-boy friend.

Originally posted by Ego_Extrodinaire
    It is southern kung fu that bangs on gongs and drums to make plenty of noise with dressed up lion in a deafening fanfare. Accordingly I have to 'speak loud' on this forum to such practitioners.
    There are "Northern" lions as well, not just Southern ones!

he hates the lions...

cuz hez scared.

Can't you come up with anything more constructive than random personal attacks? Oh, wait, I forgot, you're a languages teacher.
    "The man who stands for nothing is likely to fall for anything"
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk

Ego, I've been studying spm for over 6 years and can confirm that it has many methods that resemble the praying mantis insect. Dao sao, gao choi, clawing progessions/seizing & twisting setups, the emphasis of the elbow in whipping out pain and the general suddenness of it all.

Statically, npm may have a more mantid appearance but you see spm respond to an attack and you'll know what I mean.

Are you learning, today?

Rgds,
    David

CFT:

Northern kung fu came from the military, there was no time to lion dance. true some jing mo schools adopted lion dancing, but those schools are sadly diluted. I don't consider them northern kung fu.
    It seems like it is sourtherns are a bunch of gongs making the most noise.

htowndragon:

Learn to spell kiddo. you ain't been to nam, you don't know what scared means. Your greatest fear is pimples on your face.

Ben Gash:

But your attacks are off target. I'm not goktimus / kelvin or whoever you make me up to be. Typical southern fool, slow, poor aim and ineffective.

David:

Clawing, siezing and twisting are found in all arts. After the years you have learned, the kiddo had correctly pointed out that spm is similar to wing chun in movement. As a result you try to move fast but sacrifice power. 6 years of spm and what have you learned that couldn't be achieved in 6 weeks of kick boxing?

Ego Extrodinaire

You seem to know alot about kung fu. How did you learn so much about all the different styles?

Originally posted by Ego_Extrodinaire David:

Clawing, siezing and twisting are found in all arts. After the years you have learned, the kiddo had correctly pointed out that spm is similar to wing chun in movement. As a result you try to move fast but sacrifice power. 6 years of spm and what have you learned that couldn't be achieved in 6 weeks of kick boxing? [/B]
    Take the cork out of your ass.

If everyone had the attitude that you take then 2 weeks of kickboxing could defeat them no matter how many years training they have. Don't project your inadequacies onto the rest of the world or you may end up with a twisted view of reality... Oh, I see... Nevermind.

love,
    David

brothernumber9:

I dedicated my life to learning fighting arts. as such I have travelled to remote parts of the world to learn from the masters.

David:

I give you the benefit of the doubt that the inadequacy is your style and not you. A kick boxer will simply chop away at your legs and there is nothing you can do about it. Even Ben Gash knows that and will agree every time.

Originally posted by Ego_Extrodinaire
    CFT:
    I'm not aware of chinese to know that hakka dislikes southerners. I always thought that hakka was a war dance by the New Zealand natives.
    Then you can't be very knowledgeable about Northern and Sourthern Mantis. References to the Hakka Chinese frequently pop up in both arts.

htowndragon:
    Learn to spell kiddo. you ain't been to nam, you don't know what scared means. Your greatest fear is pimples on your face.
    You haven't been to Vietnam either! As I pointed out in a previous post in this thread, there is no way that a 12 year old (which you were at the time the USA ceased combat operations in Vietnam), would have seen action in Vietnam.

How old are you? Do the candles still fit on the birthday cake your mommy bakes you?