Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Is southern mantis better than northern.

Originally posted by Ego_Extrodinaire
    CFT:
    I'm not aware of chinese to know that hakka dislikes southerners. I always thought that hakka was a war dance by the New Zealand natives.
    Then you can't be very knowledgeable about Northern and Sourthern Mantis. References to the Hakka Chinese frequently pop up in both art.

htowndragon:
    Learn to spell kiddo. you ain't been to nam, you don't know what scared means. Your greatest fear is pimples on your face.
    You haven't been to Vietnam either! As I pointed out in a previous post in this thread, there is no way that a 12 year old (which you were at the time the USA ceased combat operations in Vietnam), would have seen action in Vietnam.

How old are you? Do the candles still fit on the birthday cake your mommy bakes you?

CFT:

I'm aware of Haka references that's why I seriously doubt your sweeping statement that "they" dislike southerners can hold true. In any case, racial tension has nothing to do with kung fu.

I wasn't 12 during the vietnam war. I had made that clear to you private in the last post. Obviously your comprehension is way below your age what ever it may be.

Racial tension has everything to do with kung fu and there is likely no better example than the case of the Hakka who went to the extent of training all their citizens in martial arts just because none of their Southern neighbours liked them or left them alone.

Sometimes the Hakka startd trouble themselves - such as raids on neighbours to secure food. But it was because the neighbours were antagonistic to them that the Hakka had to resort to this tactic.

Hakka women forced the retreat of an invading army on one occasion after the main hakka force (the men) were drawn into battle in the opposite direction. Afterwards. The women were celebrated as heroines for their courage and resourcefulness.

There is now a tradition of suspicion and distrust between Hakka and others that has accreted around martial instruction. The Hakka had a word for everyone else which was "Punti" and there were numerous Hakka/Punti wars.

I understand that the recently departed Chow Gar grand master Ip Shui, being Cantonese, was not easily accepted by his Hakka classmates, the irony being that their antagonism provided Ip Shui with the opportunity to demonstrate his worth and rise to prominence.

It's a complete pain in the ass learning a style made secretive by politics but things are opening up as time goes by.

Beyond Hakka, China's general history is littered with extremes of bloodshed such as the rest of the world can never have experienced. This goes back a very long time. Tens of its nations have been eradicated in huge wars. Amongst all this fighting and in-fighting, people found plenty of oportunity to develop fighting methods.

Rgds,
    David

I'm aware of Haka references that's why I seriously doubt your sweeping statement that "they" dislike southerners can hold true. In any case, racial tension has nothing to do with kung fu.
    I think your ignorance is compounded by your short attention span. In case you have forgotten, this is what you wrote about your knowledge of the Hakka:

I'm not aware of chinese to know that hakka dislikes southerners. I always thought that hakka was a war dance by the New Zealand natives.
    Traditionally, and perhaps to a smaller extent these days, there has always been an animosity/wariness between the Hakka Chinese and the "indigenous" occupants of Southern China.

The practice and use of martial arts can arguably be all about rivalry, whether it is racial or merely local. There used to be serious fights between villages in the New Territories of Hong Kong. Before that there were bandits, hence the existence of walled villages some of which survive to this day.

I wasn't 12 during the vietnam war. I had made that clear to you private in the last post. Obviously your comprehension is way below your age what ever it may be.
    You have not sent me any private messages, nor replied to me on this topic in public in this thread. I say again that given the birth date in your profile you would have been 12 at the time that the USA ceased combat operations in March 1973. There was no need at that time for the USA to take 12 year olds on a campaign that had already wound down.

My comprehension is fine for my age, but yours isn't so good for someone who has seen 43 years. If you want to troll, then at least be aware of what you have already written. Falling over your own words just makes our jobs too easy
    Last edited by CFT; 05-25-2004 at 02:39 AM.

Well let's see Ego, the evidence for you being Kelvin Chan:
    Exhibit A: Your stance and content are identical to every other Kelvin Chan character.
    Exhibit B: Your literary style and use of language is very similar (and, indeed, not very American).
    Exhibit C: The timings of your posts indicate that you are not posting from the continental United states (indeed, pretty consistent with evening/night time in Australia).
    We should believe that you aren't lying about Vietnam becuase you lied to us about something else?
    "The man who stands for nothing is likely to fall for anything"
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk

Hey Ego

"..as such I have travelled to remote parts of the world to learn from the masters"

just curious

1. what parts of the world have you gone to study at ( afew will do)
    2. what schools (or just 2 or 3) did u study at?
    3. what are name of some of the "masters" u study/studied from? (2 or 3 will do.

u can answter in point for such as:
    1. x,y,z countries
    2. x,y,z school names
    3. z,y,z teacher's names

thank you.

C: The timings of your posts indicate that you are not posting from the continental United states (indeed, pretty consistent with evening/night time in Australia)[/B]
    this should be easy enough:

any admin or mod wanna do a quick quick on the IP ADDRESS ... or simply:

is the IP of from USA or AUST. should be a simple yes or no.. if not post it and i can say.

cheers

ps. oh year .. re: vietnam .. what unit/tours etc where u involved in.. this too can be verified..

thanks

Haha, this thread seems to just revolve around that 'Ego' fella and everyone else. Whatever this fellow thinks about SPM is entirely up to him, if he was in Vietnam or not it doesnt really matter, maybe he's making it up, or maybe its the truth...who really cares.

So, is SPM or NPM better? I suggest go and try both of them out, the person can then decide for themselves in their own minds which art is better. It's like religion, which is better? It is what you yourself believe, nobody can say which is better. It is simply personal preference.

Better or worse to train?
    Since spm is a close range style does the person want to spend time learning how to do smaller movements, precisely (with the elbow in) and accurately or do northern where on the surface at least the body moves freer in bigger movements? If the person had expereince in a long range style already ( say karate or kickboxing) they most likely will pick up npm quicker than spm. If they want close range fighting then they should go to spm which would specialize on it more.
    [i]Originally posted by [Censored]

And I would never ever train at any cult school with a "wall of shame".

David:

I don't think the period of Hakka you referred to is the same as southern praying mantis. In anycase, SPM has gone through so many name changes in the past it's impossible to keep track of the lineage. It is just totally hopeless. To them Hakkas it was a great honor to fight the northerners, but to the northerners, they were simply a mere annoyance. To think that masters of today who still harp on Hakka ancestry is just plain racism and narrow mindedness which I suspect translates to they way they apply kung fu.

CFT:

What makes you think you deserve a private message from me. As I said, I lied about my age regarding the vietnam war. Take it or leave it, but I have done more for this country then a lot of arm chair kung fu warriors on this forum.

Ben Gash:

We all know what else you do when you look at the photos of your ex. on the net He may indeed be goktimus. No one else has a sustained fascination about him as you do.

5thBrother:

Yes, I coud do all that and much more, but why should I? Ask Ben, he is the self proclaimed ego maxiums hunter and all he's done is shoot himself in the foot, and stuck the other foot in his mouth and his head up his ankle hole.

fidon:

It is only like religion if it cannot be proven, but it can, with the exception of spm players who don't seem to want to. I mean if it is a good closeed in fighthing system why do they not go up agaisnt bjj. surely spm would do well! the closest I'm come across is wing chun and you know the rest of the story.

NeedsPractice:

More than needing practice, you need to practice in the right stuff. SPM has no answer against kick boxer's round house kicks, hook punches or close in grapples like BJJ.
    Last edited by Ego_Extrodinaire; 06-01-2004 at 06:14 AM.

More than needing practice, you need to practice in the right stuff. SPM has no answer against kick boxer's round house kicks, hook punches or close in grapples like BJJ. [/B][/QUOTE]

Hello its called footwork. Anyone who gets in the way of these is a fool and deserves what he gets! You sir need to put more time into practicing your art instead of practicing hacking on other peoples arts. Get over it if you dont like it dont do spm. What are you arts responses to these techniques?

guy incognito

I agree, that's why spm NEVER steps foot into the octogan right? as for foot work, mixed martial arts has plenty of but spm has none of. Standing pretty with your wedge shaped arms and pheonix eye fist ain't going to deter a kick boxer or grappler. Hellooo sir, you're not in some farm yard in china any more.

As for my strategy, when I used to train, I did mixed martial arts. if they box me, I box back, they grapple me, I grapple back, tehy kick me, I kick back. mixed martial arts is the utimate form of fighting, the only way to beat them is to play their game better than they do. you have to keep your foot fast and light.

I thought you did SPM from your wheelchair
    "The man who stands for nothing is likely to fall for anything"
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk

never box a boxer

if they box me, I box back, they grapple me, I grapple back, tehy kick me, I kick back. mixed martial arts is the utimate form of fighting, the only way to beat them is to play their game better than they do. you have to keep your foot fast and light.
    And if they do spm, you fall over before you can start your copy-cat patty-cake.

Dude, these conversations are supposed to be about the topic and not about the person. Your ego pollutes everything here.

Well ego I dont know what to say to you. There aree several people in our school that have defeated attacks on the street. The real thing. No ref,no rules. To some peole thats more important. In my line of work(Crowd control) wrestling someone to the ground would be extemely dangerous. MMA is for entertainment. SPM is for kicking ass not rolling around on a mat gettin romantic!

Ben Gash,

I've given that up sometime ago. Thanks for asking so as a special favor to you I'll tell you the reason is because my doctor says that the breathing exercises are bad for my hernia.

David,

Are you drunk, you simply don't make sense. spm stances are very stiff. If you have 2 spms sparring then they clobber one another silly. But if you have a wrestler who charges in, true the wrestler would fall but it's likely to be on top of the spm.

guy incognito,

what about those in your school that haven't. In any case, it's silly to use the generic term as attack from the street. They can come in all forms including kids trying to steal your lolly.

So you're a crowd dontrol man. I see where spm comes in. you have your wedge shaped arms and pheonix fist hands standing ridgid in your stance.