Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Nick Scrima`s 2004 Tournament

Nick Scrima`s 2004 Tournament

Sixth Annual International Chinese Martial Arts Championships in Orlando, July 2-4. Anyone planning to attend?

Two Kings of the Mantis World will be doing seminars:

Sun De Yao and Su Yu Chang.

I hope to meet some of you there.

YS
    I am still a student practicing - Wang Jie Long

"Don`t Taze Me Bro"

YS,
    Is there a link to a web page for more info? Went to the Nick Scrima site, but not able to find any mention of it.
    By the way, when did it get moved from the tampa/St. Pete area? I assume the attendance is better in Orlando.

tourn.

I think it got moved to orlando because of the florida kung fu association that nick and MC(wah lum) formed together. More wah lum people will probably go.

It's funny how you can form an organization to unite your martial arts schools in your state but we(Pong lai) are not allowed into the association. What are the true reasons for forming the organization? To unite or to roll in the almighty$$$$$$$$$$$$?

18Elders, Yu Shan,

I'm planning on going. Hope to see you guys there!
    Amitabha

So much for "Learn Kindness, Learn Fellowship...", huh? =/

Martial artists can be really sad, sometimes.

18 elders, yu shan,

why don't you guys go incognito, clean up-be happy. OR, as has been done before, quite amusingly i might add, go and do their forms but mix it up- say a "battle ax instead of an army sword! i mean the bridge is already burnt- finish the job- finish it...

p.s. atlanta southern, i lost your #
    Last edited by flem; 05-06-2004 at 05:06 AM.

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    are we making a pong lai get together out of it?

is there sparring?

if so, what ruleset?

i have a 3 day weekend that weekend so it's very possible.

I'll be sleeping under my truck and catching alligators to eat, however...very poor right now.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

flem

i was going to use two brooms and do double broadsword.
    I fugure i can sweep the floor with that one!! haha

Oso-here is a link to the tournament
    http://www.kungfuchampionship.com/

www.kungfuchampionship.com

4time, Oso

Go to site above gives all the details.

I`m glad it`s held in O`town, more to do in the area. I plan on visiting TaiChiBob and JoeMantis & their respective schools. My in-laws are in Kissimmee, so Oso, if you don`t mind Puerto Rican cuisine (free). If your stuck on the gator... plenty of lakes filled with these critters.

Flem

We are going in...... stealth
    I am still a student practicing - Wang Jie Long

"Don`t Taze Me Bro"

thanks for the link 18e.

looks like basic san shou...which I've never fought before but hadn't done lei tai till last month...see sig below....

ok, time to get my ass in gear.

I think I'm going to do another Lei Tai fight in June in Charlotte.
    And maybe some san shou there.

if it's free food I'm there...

We are going in...... stealth
    uhh, didn't you just blow cover?????

"George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

Thanks Yu Shan,

Will be a spectator this year, even though I would like to do the mantis seminars.

Even though I'm a newbi, I would like to meet the Pong lai people, and this will be a good chance because your going to be at the same place.

Did not know Nick Scrima and Wah lum had formed an association. I have trained at both, and met some great people. I hope all schools/ groups in Florida will be welcome in the future.

I will be going to the tournament and competing in the novice women's adult category. It's my first tournamnet and I'm still newto kung fu (only doing it about a year). Needless to say I'm pretty nervous (and excited). What is it like to compete in this or any competition for that matter? I'll just be doing a form, Little Open Gate.

nice avatar, Green_Tea.

IMHO, people will tell you about being nervous and possible ways to shake the jitters but it's tough to do so. You will be nervous and it will affect your performance. Irrelevant of how you do you will know if competing ''does it'' for you. If you get jacked enough by competition then you will do it again and only by competing on a regular basis will you get used to the nervousness and be able to work with it.

Good luck and maybe we'll see ya there.

For me, I listen to Green Day's "Dookie" and pace a lot.

Thanks for the words. Hmmm, maybe if I can get a song that I really like stuck in my head it might calm me down... At first I dind't want to compete because I was afraid it would make me ****y (regardless of how good I was) and make me loose sight of why I did kung fu in the first place. But I guess we'll see. I'm not expecting to win anything, I just figure all this effort my sifus and sihings are putting into really teaching me Little Open Gate will benefit me in other ways.

Oh hah hah, I guess they thought I was cursing and gave me astricks (sp?) instead. I said I didn't want to become arogant.