Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Nick Scrima`s 2004 Tournament

Thumbs up Good fun

I am certainly looking forward to July and am sure all will enjoy. I personally feel that I do not have the body for flash but I will do my best to look as smooth as possible, with lots of power. Acrobatics is not practical in a fight IMO as a flip takes to long and you have to be really good to make it useful. I plan to do my form with the in your face moving forward. With my Sifu’s help I have a straight forward smack down form that I simply enjoy doing. If I score low I will be disappointed but my intention is to get the most out of the training that goes into the preparation. The amount of time and effort put in just for a 60 second form sequence is the true benefit. The second thing will be to meet some of you. I have talked with many of you of the last few years but have yet to meet most. I consider myself bipartisan and hope that I can get to know some of you on more personal not so much I train here you train there level. Good luck to all.

Tommy
    RibHit
    RibHit
    “Being fast is fine but accuracy is everything.”
    Wyatt Erupt
    Feeling jumpy!!!
    Thread Killer...>>>
    Tommy M

Well said Frogman, flips and yelling don`t do it for me. The power you mentioned, if I can only see people using more of the Fa-jing energy. This" in your face" statement reminded me of something Master Ilya Profatilov told me. The Praying Mantis has a spirit like no other, FEARLESS!

"A man was napping by a road, he noticed a Mantis down in the worn groove made by the passing of wagons. The Mantis was facing towards the oncoming carts with claws outstretched.The man saw an approaching wagon and jumped to save the Mantis from doom. The Mantis quickly returned to his spot in the road, with claws held defiantly upwards toward another cart coming his way. The Mantis attacked at the giant wheel of the cart, and hopped out of harms way"
    I am still a student practicing - Wang Jie Long

"Don`t Taze Me Bro"

Talking

Yu shan,
    That’s a great story, the mantis spirit is without a doubt more then just legend. I once found a mantis sitting on a truck tire and as I approached the little guy turned and squared off to me. I had to laugh to myself but I could see that this bug was serious… If he could speak he probably would have said, “You want a piece of me!!, Ya like that, come on!!”
    I try to use this intensity in my forms and workouts. Most likely your not going to see me doing a lot of jumping “Frogman” is just a screen name. You will hear me though. My voice carries well and I pull it from deep using it to emphasize my energy. Not to be confused with yelling.
    Are there any plans for a KFO gathering? If Kung Fu magazine was on the ball they would set something up, hint.. regardless as the time grows near we should talk more about it. Might be a good thread. I don’t have the time now as it just came to me but if I have time latter I may just do that.

RibHit
    fm

RibHit
    Wyatt Erupt
    Feeling jumpy!!!
    Thread Killer...>>>
    Tommy M

Greetings..

This sounds like a great opportunity for love of the art to outshine the struggle for power and control.. so many of you guys sound sincere and focused on the essence, it could be a really great gathering.. As always, i am willing to set the past aside in favor of a new beginning.. if the "powers that be" could do the same it could be the beginning of a CMA revival..

I extend on open welcome to all that wish to visit the school where i am fortunate to call Home, Extreme Harmony Martial Arts Academy.. it is about 30-40 minutes from the tournament site on S.R. 417.. (about 5 minutes from Wah Lum).. I hope to host a gathering of interested people to promote true fellowship and harmony in the Arts.. but, likely most folks will want to stay near the tournament.. perhaps we can get together informally, not to bash the obvious but to set a new course.. a way to help the student through references, cross-training agreements between schools, etc.. suppose one of your students is in town for a few days, i would welcome them at our school for training or just good fellowship.. hopefully, you could do the same..

In any case, i am looking forward to seeing all of you guys.. CMA and NPM in particular, is a unique group of warriors.. fellowship and unity can only make it better..

Be well..
    TaiChiBob.. "the teacher that is not also a student is neither"

I had another question about the tournament. I'm sure this will develope over time and it may sound silly to some people, but I have just been having a lot of problems yelling with punches, kicks, etc. I keep hearing that a lot of your score will be determined on your spirit and I know there are other good reasons for yelling and expelling qi. I know that no one will think I'm stupid for doing it. And I can lecture software in fornt of my students no problem. But for SOME REASON maybe because I am shy, I have difficulty doing it. Some days are better than others but it's a continous battle, something I have to remind myself to do. It's funny because I used to grunt and scream like a banshee during rowing races and people did make fun of me about that. But now that it's become more important I can't do it... anyway, I thought maybe the tournament would serve as a good goal, a place where I could really feel serious and see other people doing it as well. So while I'll continue to work on it, any words of advice or stories? Sometimes with me, someone will just have to say one profound thing and it'll all make sense again... thanks!

Green_Tea

Greetings..

Now, what i am about to say is simply my opinion, but.. spirit is evident in your form, not in a noise.. i do all forms without a verbal sound, though you may hear an occasional grunt, whoosh or other expulsion (especially depending on recent diet )... but, verbal sounds (engaging the vocal cords) just doesn't work for me.. mostly i want to be focused on the action, not the "opera"..
    as a judge, i look for spirit in the form, in the eyes, and.. too much verbal noise will get you a deduction in my book..

Be well..
    TaiChiBob.. "the teacher that is not also a student is neither"

Same here. That's why I can't watch Karate competitions anymore. Drives me nuts.

Green_Tea
    Have someone point me out and you can ask me anything about anything.

yelling

i"m with TCB and HLL on that one. Wah lum usually only has the yell on the single finger although i have seen some of TH students trying to be karate guys or something and yell every other move. Don't like it, and it wouldn't get you any extra points if i was judging. The only one i like who vocalized alot was Tracy flemming, see if someone will let you watch one of his forms on tape. The spirit will be in your eyes, jing, and movement, not in how much you yell.

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA

vocalization

should be incidental. some movements require or create sharp exhalations of breath. if you make noise as a byproduct of that then that's ok. if you are focusing on screaming as loud as you can then you are not focused on the movement itself.

just my .02
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

I don't know if I can offer anything profound, but I also did LOG at my first tournament and had the same problem coordinating the "yee" with punches and kicks. I don't vocalize well anyway so my "yee" was this tiny little yelp.

IME the "yee" is a helpful tool in the learning process, helps you develop coordination, timing & breathing in forms. I've never really thought of it as a yell although, bringing it from the diaphragm, it can be pretty loud. None of this "kiaaaiiiiiiaaiiaiiiia!!!" stuff, however. Just "yee" where your sifu tells you to do it (in tourneys, usually at the end of sections in the form) and try to bring it from your gut.

The best part of doing LOG for tournament is that for 3 months I just practiced the heck out of that one form. And it really provided a knowledge base for the techniques I've learned since. I still review it everytime I practice.
    There is a great streak of violence in every human being. If it is not channeled and understood, it will break out in war or in madness. ~Sam Peckinpah

I know it may be too early to ask, but does anybody know what the topic of the Mantis seminars will be?

Yu Shan, I am planning on attending the seminars. Hopefully I will be able to meet up with you. I am looking forward to meeting many of the people from KFO! Take care!

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    good question...and I hope they don't have the two mantis seminars at the same time...I'd hate to have to choose.

oh, Who is Nick Scrima?????
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

seminars

there will be 2 mantis seminars, one by Su Yu Chang and another by Sun De Yao.
    Doesn't list what SYC is doing, SDY is doing plum flower hand form(doesn't say which one) and plum flower gim(i think).

here is the link:
    www.kungfuchampionship.com

Thank you to everyone, makes me feel better to know my spirit won't JUST be judged on how well I can yell.

Originally posted by SaMantis
    IME the "yee" is a helpful tool in the learning process, helps you develop coordination, timing & breathing in forms.
    Now that you mention it, I'd suspect that perhaps as you said, they tell us to do that for the learning process, because thinking back on things, I don't remember much yelling when I watched the demo team perfrom during Chinese New Year. Since I'm still new, they really need to break stuff down for me .

Originally posted by SaMantis
    The best part of doing LOG for tournament is that for 3 months I just practiced the heck out of that one form. And it really provided a knowledge base for the techniques I've learned since. I still review it everytime I practice.
    Yes! That was the deciding factor for me to compete as originally I was going to chicken out But I figured it would be better to work extra hard on basics to build a strong foundation. Same reason I waited another month to take my first test. I could have passed in it January, but I didn't want to just "squeeze by", I wanted to really know my stuff. So I gave myself another month. I figured if tears came to my eyes whenever my sihings mentioned the test, I wasn't ready yet .

Yees are the least of my concerns as I prepare for the upcoming competition. How is the judging done, is there a point scale for the amount of yelling?? I Yee on a power strikes not for anyone’s benefit but my own. Like dumping a jigsaw puzzle on to the table and having all the pieces fall into place and the Yee pops out. I have two maybe three in my form, and when I do them you will hear them!!! Maybe I’ll use RibHit instead, LOL.
    Anyway I hope to have fun and hope you do to. Seeya or maybe hearya, there.

RibHit
    fm
    RibHit
    Wyatt Erupt
    Feeling jumpy!!!
    Thread Killer...>>>
    Tommy M