Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Nick Scrima`s 2004 Tournament

frogman

I don't have any problems with any of the people in WL, look forward to meeting some of the people who post here and training with them if they can, or helping you guys with your wah lum stuff.
    The problem i have is the way that MC operates, it was all started by a WL student and we(pong lai) are being punished for it. Our Shrfu has tried to smooth things out, called MC, wrote letters and eventually just drove over to the temple to talk to MC.
    But as you can see, MC was not willing to work it out. That is not cool in my book, especially if you have the characters for learn kindness and fellowship on your altars. What's up with that?
    It shows the character of the person, banning us from tournaments, etc. Why not work it out? We have no problem with you guys, our shrfu has sent lion dance shows to your school when we couldn't make it, he refers people to your school when they come to check our class out. He tells people to go try the other schools and come back. He is confident in his kung fu, that is why he tells them to check everyone else out.
    I'm sure we don't get that from WL.
    MC complains our shrfu stoled students, how do you steal a student? We left because we were not happy with our training in WL.
    Anyways, hope everyone has a good time at the tournament.

hua lin,
    i agree with what you said 100%. but i think you're missing my point. with the expectation that you are spreading the art, supporting various functions, and staying within the boundries/confines of the "rules", it would seem something ought to come back when you need it. heck, it should come back b4 it's needed.

Originally posted by Starchaser107
    I'll be there.
    i hope it's fun, it'll be my second time competing overseas.
    You're coming all the way from Jamaica? Wow! This is my first tournament and I heard it's pretty big, but do you know if a lot of overseas ppl come?

Oh! Something else I just remembered that I wanted toask you guys!

My mom's so cute, she's coming from Tampa as a spectator to watch the tournament. She's really excited but she was wondering a few things and I was having difficulty finding answers on the website. I know it'll cost $20 to get in, but is it beneficial for her to show up early? Maybe to "get a good seat"? And I know there's a fee for a video camera but what about a film camera? I was also having trouble finding where to park and the map wasn't really that good but I was unable to find the exact address of the hotel to put into mapquest. Is there anything else she should be aware of? Can she eat in there? That sort of thing... I guess I oculd justcall and ask them but I thought I'd post these questions in case anyone else had the same ones. Thanks!

First, 20.00 spectator fee? Is that for the whole weekend, multiple days?

Second, Video camera fee?? What the He77 is that? For Cripes Sakes this gets more and more ridiculous every year. I never heard of such krap. Let's say I'm a parent and I want to video tape my child's competition. Now you're going to charge me to do that. Get real. You don't see this krap at any other sporting events. Video camera fee..... <shakes his head>

Who want's to support this ridiculous policy? WL has always had a problem with video cameras and now have found a way to affect their use through taxation. Where does this money go to?

I really can't believe it....... <shakes his head>

WL should go back to having their private tournaments within the WL system and stop soiling the rest of the MA community with their antics.

Geeeeezzzzzzzz..
    Last edited by woliveri; 05-17-2004 at 11:37 PM.

Smile

18elders,
    I understand what you are saying. There is no doubt that there is a rift, and the root cause is a matter of perspective, it would seem. It certainly has nothing to do with me and I am in no position to suggest otherwise. I simply responded to the idea that www’s post was instigated. I was there and know that he was in fact ask not to stir the pot.
    \
    I just got back for the beach and had a chance to practice my form in the water. It’s fun to train in the water as it offers a different feel. Stances are easier, but movement is restricted. I like the way kicking and punching feels you really get a good sense of pushing you arm or leg. Even stance can be challenging in shallow water trying to hold a stance as the waves push you around like a rag doll. Waves were not that big but I still had a hard time holding my position as the water would just pick me up and move me.

Green tea,
    Those are some good questions…

RibHit
    fm
    RibHit
    “Being fast is fine but accuracy is everything.”
    Wyatt Erupt
    Feeling jumpy!!!
    Thread Killer...>>>
    Tommy M

hi green tea
    i'll be travelling with a few of my classmates, but as for other international competitors, i dunno.
    i hear that gaylord palms (wack name) is kind of farish from fast food chains and stuff, but i know they have a resturaunt at the hotel...probably with some hefty prices for food i imagine.

Does anybody know when (time) specific events will take place?
    like i know friday is registration but are there events other than superfights that night...
    does the majority of events take place on saturday?
    what happens on sunday?
    i don't recall seeing this information on the site.

green tea

i don't think she needs to get there too early, as far as her seat she will probably move to be close to the ring # you will be competing in. They usually have hot dogs and stuff like that for sale but not sure about this resort, hopefully they will have something a little better to eat.
    Last edited by 18elders; 05-18-2004 at 05:19 AM.

Most tornaments charge a video fee. It has been that way for at least ten years. I doubt that it has any thing to do with one particular style.

video

the first time i ever heard of that was at the WL tournament 2000

Originally posted by woliveri
    First, 20.00 spectator fee? Is that for the whole weekend, multiple days?

Second, Video camera fee?? What the He77 is that? For Cripes Sakes this gets more and more ridiculous every year. I never heard of such krap. Let's say I'm a parent and I want to video tape my child's competition. Now you're going to charge me to do that. Get real. You don't see this krap at any other sporting events. Video camera fee..... <shakes his head>

Who want's to support this ridiculous policy? WL has always had a problem with video cameras and now have found a way to affect their use through taxation. Where does this money go to?

I really can't believe it....... <shakes his head>

WL should go back to having their private tournaments within the WL system and stop soiling the rest of the MA community with their antics.

Geeeeezzzzzzzz..
    Umm, I was at Nick Scrima's tournament in 2002, and there was a Video camera fee back then... Is NS a WL sifu?

Oh yeah, and perhaps this has something to do with it:

"This Championship is now scheduled to be televised by Sky TV!!!"

Spectator Information

Originally posted by Starchaser107
    hi green tea
    i'll be travelling with a few of my classmates, but as for other international competitors, i dunno.
    i hear that gaylord palms (wack name) is kind of farish from fast food chains and stuff, but i know they have a resturaunt at the hotel...probably with some hefty prices for food i imagine.
    You have caught the correct. It's not too terribly far from some of the food chains near Disney, but it isn't exactly across the street.

The resturaunt's in the hotel are on the expensive side.

If this is only the second time you have seen a video fee you were not looking for one before or you havnt been to very many tournaments. I think the Karate tournaments started it a long time ago.

Dont get me wrong, I dont like the fee. They know mommy will pay anything for their kids , even buy black belts.

On the other hand, they do have to make enough money to hold the tournament.

flem
    You mean like investing in the future? You get out what you put in? Take care of your students and they'll take care of you? That type of thinking?

I don't know how much Frogman knows of the situation but he seems to have zereod in on the truth. It goes beyond anything posted here. 18elders, I know I've told you before what the issue is between our Sifus but I'll refrain from saying anything else about it here. I believe there may be some unresolved issues between Master Shr and Master Chan but I have very little knowledge of their views about each other. Better to let them work it out themselves if there is a problem. Then there's the problem of 2 competing schools in the same town whose key players seem to be an old circle of friends.

Pong Lai members (and WL if you really want to know) can email me privately about this and I'll tell you what I know and how I feel about it. Other than that, true or false, I'm not going to throw accusations around a public forum.

Geen_Tea
    There's no need for your mom to get there early other than maybe better parking and beating the crowd. The drawback is a longer stand around time waiting for things to get started. It's a really long day for spectators and most wear out well before the end of the day. They never seem to get started on time and the bigger the turnout the harder it is to stay on schedule although Nick has plenty of experience running events like this.

Like 18elders said she'll probably be moving to be near the ring you are competing in plus stretching her legs plus getting something to eat plus walking around seeing what the vendors are selling etc.

There is no fee for a film camera so she can take all the still shots she wants but it may cost you if you want your picture taken with a famous Master. Most will let you take a picture but I have seen where a booth is set up and pictures sold.