Thread: Cost of Kung Fu

Cost of Kung Fu

A couple of questions:

1. What do you currently pay for lessons and what do you get for your money? - ( please do not give your school name, but please include the city you live in and your style. )

2. What would you pay for personal, one-on-one training and what would you expect for such price?

3. What would be a fair price for lessons only twice a week with limited access to facilities?

In the past I have taught for free, seeking more teaching experience than profit, and I taught outside at a local park. I am not convinced that business would be so great that I could teach fulltime, or even go so far as renting a facility (but wouldn't that be great?) But I do have access to indoor, spacious facilities.

Thanks,

Bob
    From One Thing, Know Ten Thousand.

My old Sifu taught for preservation of the art, so I got some free lessons. Nowdays I think he charges $50 a month and classes are two days a week. One-on-one classes at my other school were $50-$65 dollars depending on what I wanted to go over.
    CPA's current P4P List:
    -Bas Rutten
    -Captain Jack Sparrow
    -Cindy Lauper
    -Lester Moonvest

I pay $50/hour for private Chin Na lessons in Tulsa.
    Last edited by MasterKiller; 05-05-2004 at 01:42 PM.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

$20 a week for two formal 90 minute classes with use of the kwoon any time it's open and no classes in session. $20 for a 30 minute private lesson. (this is in Denver).
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

I own a school and charge $65 a month classes are M-F. 10 classes a week, 5 kung fu and 5 taichi
    Privates $100 a month 3x a week.......... Buffalo NY
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

normally the school i go to charges 55 a month for 3 times a week. my school that i teach at charges 55 a month. the new enfield school is 200 every 3 months. i pay nothing
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

$108/month for unlimited classes. I generally go around 4 times a week for about 4 hours at a time.
    "hey pal, you wanna do the dance of destruction with the belle of the ball, just say the word." -apoweyn

I pay $75 a month for unlimited bjj, judo and muay thai classes. muay thai classes are twice a week, judo is twice a week and bjj is four days a week. classes range from 1.5 - 3 hours. Also, we are welcome to come train on the mats, hit the bags, etc. anytime the school is open.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    Asheville NC (275,000)

Currently: $50/month 3 - 90 minute classes a week in a community center.

The Asheville market is $75 - $90 a month at a school in it's own space w/ a wide variety of class times available. I just did a market survey as I look at trying to find my own space within the next 4-6 months. My plan is to charge $75 a month for 4 one hour beginner classes a week and 4 - 90 minute intermediate/advanced classes a week. intermediate/advanced students will be able to train 2 1/2 hours a night if they wish.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Chicago seems to be about $100 a month for the good schools. TKD is about $55 to $65 for 3X a week, and maybe $85 for full scedual use of the facillities.
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Buena Park, CA

$70/month, for 3 classes, 1 hour each.

We do shaolin and mantis, plus some weapons.
    -Sakko

I pay approx 100$/month for 2 classes a week. We train Taiji and wing chun. Wing chun classes are up to 4 hours sometimes and taiji classes run about 3 hours. So I am getting approx 7~8 hours kung fu/week @ $100/month.

In all fairness I train at a pretty nice place with padded floors so we can toss people around. They also have weights, wooden dummies, heavy bags, sparring equipment, etc. So I am also help paying rent for the kwoon and upkeep on equipment. Therefore, I feel 100/month is fair. Not to mention what I am learning is considered in my mind as priceless.