Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chinese and Japanese Martial arts

Chinese and Japanese Martial arts

Hello Everyone,

I am wondering what the main differences between these branches of martial arts are. I dont have very much experience with Japanese arts, and only a little with Chinese, and I recognize there are vast differences within Chinese martial arts itself.

But for those of you who have trained in both, what are the differences (main ones?) is it a matter of footwork or power generation? are there internal components to the Japanese arts like their Chinese counterparts?

I am curious because their is a Ninpo school close to where I work and I am thinking about dropping by and checking it out, it offers ninpo and jujutsu.

I realize this is kind of a broad question, but I am interested in peoples opinions and experiences

Thanks
    Scott

Heh, heh. "Kind of a broad question"? Well, that's ONE way of putting it. In fact, it's SO broad, it's completely meaningless.

It's like asking "what is the difference between people named John and people named Mike?".

Narrow your question down a bit or go to your local library (or just browse the internet) and do some reasearch.

One group is from China.

One group is from Japan.
    BreakProof BackŪ Back Health & Athletic Performance
    https://sellfy.com/p/BoZg/

"Who dies first," he mumbled through smashed and bloody lips.

Originally posted by Vash
    One group is from China.

One group is from Japan.

Yeah, but the first group greatly influenced the second group (infact WAS the second group, but just transplanted, with some bits missing).

The second group then went on to become Sholin Do....which is kind of...sort of......well, almost chinese.

The main differances between the chinese and jap arts would have to be the mind set of the japenes. Its hard to describe so I will not even try, but I will say that it tends to be totaly messed up here in the west and is just an excuse for shouting at students and inflicting meaningless pain on your juniors.
    LOL.. really, what else did you hear?.. did you hear that he was voted Man of the Year by Kung-Fu Magizine?

i think jap martial arts is generally a harder style because i cant really think of any internal styles but chinese martial arts is very diverse but im not sure if theres an internal martial art for jap if there is can some one let me know thanks..
    I also think that jap martial art is very rigid and hard just take karate for instant all the blocks are hard and punchs and stuff , i think that karate is too hard any way just tryin to add sum info lol prove me wrong if you disagree with any thing .
    [+?] J [Empty Your Mind]

The Japanese have Aikido, Shintaido, and some systems of Jujutsu that are very "internal" in nature.

Wikid009, what style of Karate have you trained in? To generalize all Karate as "rigid" or as "hard" shows that you don't really know anything about Karate.

lol

I guess not ..... oh yeah i also forgot about aikido oops ah well my post was a waste of time ..... and ive never trained in karate its just what i generally thought of it are there any internal or softer styles of karate ?
    [+?] J [Empty Your Mind]

let's not forget sanchin...
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

These days it's difficult to label a style of Karate as just one thing or another. Many people think of Shotokan as the "Hardest" style of Karate, but I've seen teachers who constantly emphasized relaxation & full body coordination as the correct way to develop power. There are just too many branches of too many styles to make sweeping comments about any art .

Imagine someone asking "What is Kung Fu like?" What... internal or external systems? Northern or Southern systems? Which branch of which system? There are over 1000 different systems of Kung Fu with some as different from each other as night and day.

ok

Ok thanks any way i understand what you mean and i'll try not to be so narrow minded now lol
    [+?] J [Empty Your Mind]

St jean sur richelieu (Montreal south shore)
    i doubt shintaido is an OLD style plus aikido.. no comments
    lets just say.. china is the rot for most japan things

No, Shintaido is not old. No one ever said "old JMA".

china is the rot for most japan things
    Well said.
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

Some have the common roots. Some are unique.

Okinawan Karate (Tang hand or China hand) may be traced back to Southern Shaolin Tiger or 5 ancester?

Judo, Jujitsu or Aikido are similar to Qin Na and Suai Jiao.

However, Qin Na and Suai Jiao are integral parts of almost all schools of Wushu.

There are 4 main technical categories of Wushu/Gong Fu.

1) Hitting (punch and kick, Da and Ti).

2) Grappling (Qin and Na)

3) Throwing (Suai).

4) Tripping to fall (Dei)

Any form of Wushu is consisted of at least 2 categories of the 4.

Budo or Bushido are similar to Wu Dao or Wusi Dao.

However, Chinese have a lot more wars and integrations of "outsiders". Wushu is much more diverse and far more complexed.

let's not forget sanchin...

Reply]
    Which is found in the Southern Tai Tzu Quan--------> 5 Anscestor's Fist-------------->Okinawian Karate.
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a