Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: If it looks like a duck.....

Unhappy

Originally posted by EarthDragon
    merryprankster, if you went to chinese resturant to eat some real chinese food and the cook was mexican you would stay?
    obviously you guys have never eaten authentic cusine. In NY we are very race oriented, and a good resturant hires people that are suposed to be there. maybe in the midwest you guys dont know the difference i dont know but i feel sorry for you , go get a real brittish mexican tamala's

master killer, I left the ACMAF not the system. you can still work for the company and not the office.
    Holy ****ing ****. Not only are you clearly announcing your pride as a ****ing racist, you're also saying that the citizens of New York are racist.

Sweet ****ing sesame street. I pity those who study under you. Whatever your martial skill (which is not being discussed for the pro or the con here) your personality is most obviously toxic, your views of humanity scornful, and your ***** small.

You are no different from the confederate flag waving, "let's lynch the dude" freaks we have in abundance here in the south. And that attitude just described is the end of the road on which your views start.
    BreakProof BackŪ Back Health & Athletic Performance
    https://sellfy.com/p/BoZg/

"Who dies first," he mumbled through smashed and bloody lips.

Its seems a little racist.

just a little.....

I'm starting to think Tit Sa and ED are the same person.

In NY we are very race oriented, and a good resturant hires people that are suposed to be there
    There are laws against this. EQUAL OPPORTUNITY.
    CPA's current P4P List:
    -Bas Rutten
    -Captain Jack Sparrow
    -Cindy Lauper
    -Lester Moonvest

Originally posted by EarthDragon
    merryprankster, if you went to chinese resturant to eat some real chinese food and the cook was mexican you would stay?
    obviously you guys have never eaten authentic cusine. In NY we are very race oriented, and a good resturant hires people that are suposed to be there. maybe in the midwest you guys dont know the difference i dont know but i feel sorry for you , go get a real brittish mexican tamala's
    Mystified.

I'll be glad to let any of my friends disabuse you of the idea that I don't know my food....

I don't care who cooks it as long as it's right. Would I leave if I saw a mexican cooking the food? Hell no. I'd leave if the food was bad or wrong.
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

If I saw latin people at a Dim Sum place it WOULD seem odd. Not that they can't do it, but it would be suspicious, but you'd have to taste it to find out.

but it would be suspicious

why because they aren't chinese?! Don't be obtuse!

I guess not really suspicous, if I could even tell the difference

really dug yourself in deep on this one didn't you Earth Dragon.

Last time I checked, Americans spoke American.

You, red5, moo.

strike!

In regards to language it doesn't matter as long as the idea isn't lost in the translation. Look at how the word uke is now used to mean "block" in most karate schools. Sometimes the original name is conveying something that doesn't translate into a single English word or phrase.
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

dang dude....

Nothing with breathing, or biomechanics as we understand it. I just don't believe in the mystical Qi

Blog Entries
    Originally posted by TaiChiBob
    Greetings..

We will all drink the same chemical compound, H2O.. many cultures will call it different things, some names we won't understand.. but, when we are handed the glass of water, the words are no longer necessary.. So it is with the lessons, they are learned through doing, not hearing..

The appreciation of Tea may lead me to the ritual of the Tea Ceremony.. but, the ritual of the Tea ceremony will not necessarily lead me to an appreciation of Tea..

Be well...
    (Nelson Muntz)Haha...your example betrays your own point. Western scientific CULTURE calls it H20 ie 2 Hydrogen atoms and 1 Oxygen molecules. These were discovered by use of the scientific method and unique western historical events. You would have to know something about Western culture to know why we call it H20.

The Chinese have another name for water. I forget the phonetics but it is composed not of a chemical formula but a little stylized picture of a stream or something. Maybe there's a little story behind the character, a little moral lesson.

Granted water is water and we all make use of it in the same way (nice try at a little zen parable BTW.) But the unless we understand the cultural context we would have no idea that we were even talking about. If you gave an alien a glass of water and glass of poison that looked like water and they were labeled H20 and Poison he'd drink either one thinking they're both water and the symbols on the glass would be meaningless. Only if he understood the context of the symbols would he know which one to drink.

Convention-al knowledge is not useless. But I agree we must not mistake the forest for the trees.

Blog Entries
    Originally posted by rogue
    In regards to language it doesn't matter as long as the idea isn't lost in the translation. Look at how the word uke is now used to mean "block" in most karate schools. Sometimes the original name is conveying something that doesn't translate into a single English word or phrase.
    Exactly my point. Look at the abuse of the word CHI for christ's sake. Everyone takes it to mean what they want it to mean.

1- Ying Mian Tou Chui

2- Kao Shen Bi Chui

3- Dun Shen Kua Chui

4- Nian Shou (na) Xiong Chui

5-8 Shuang Xi Liang Zhou Si Chui
    (Shuang Qi Shuang Zhou)

BTW- this list comes originally from Fan Xudong via Wang Yongchun.

This is what I mean. these techniques can be translated to 3 different things. To know thier original meaning you must have a firm grasp on the language in which they are written. If all you care about is fighting and trying to beat people up then you are missing a major part of your art.
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."