Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: If it looks like a duck.....

just an observation concerning communication between EarthDragon, Red5angel, and Vash.

It would seem that words may have been exchanged on other posts between you guys in the past ( I'm just speculating ). However, from just reading this thread, EarthDragon has been personally attacked, verbally that is.

He could have easily gotten defensive and puffed up his chest and been spiteful in reaction. Instead he more or less just tries to make his argument with little retort in the same manner from which he is attacked.

Red5angel, you have strong convictions on this matter of chinese, non chinese teachers. What was it that got your fire going to the point where you took real offense (or so it seemed)? You first claimed EarthDragon's first line in his response implied something that some may not see implied.

some of your statements make valid arguments against EarthDragon's statements, but on others you imply an implication and assume what that implication was. My point is I think what you assumed EarthDragon's implication about jealousy and envy was wrong. And if I am right in my assumption then perhaps this can be used of an example of how the point got lost in transmission (one of the points I think Earthdragon was trying to make about "americanization" of traditional arts).

But then again maybe the point would have been clearer if he said it in chinese.

Greetings..

We will all drink the same chemical compound, H2O.. many cultures will call it different things, some names we won't understand.. but, when we are handed the glass of water, the words are no longer necessary.. So it is with the lessons, they are learned through doing, not hearing..

The appreciation of Tea may lead me to the ritual of the Tea Ceremony.. but, the ritual of the Tea ceremony will not necessarily lead me to an appreciation of Tea..

Be well...
    TaiChiBob.. "the teacher that is not also a student is neither"

brothernumber9 - I explained what I saw in his posts, he did not deny them. He just continued to explain his point of view, which tells me I was right. On top of that his explanation continues to insinuate that he feels he is the subject of a situation for which most of us envy and this is not true. but thanks for trying.

Greetings..

And, as for the uniforms.. they are the most comfortable things i wear.. i often wear the pants around town in casual settings ( i carry a back-pack to compensate for loss of pocket space).. i am not concerned with cultural connotations or prejudices, almost all of my clothing is chosen with only comfort in mind.. anyone that knows me will tell you how "fashion challenged" i am.. i would wear those BLT lightweight jackets with pockets, too, but that just invites trouble.. with the pants they look enough like regular workout pants to get by..
    TaiChiBob.. "the teacher that is not also a student is neither"

It's because Earthdragon beleives in qigong. At least he didn't claim qigong is the foundation for martial arts, then he'd be in huge trouble

taichibob - I wear the pants when I work out at home often enough, they are loose fitting and breathe well. My point was that some people believe they are part of the tradition of kungfu and if this is the case then with ED's statements in mind, you wouldn't be practicing authentic chinese martial arts without wearing them.

Originally posted by intimidation
    It's because Earthdragon beleives in qigong. At least he didn't claim qigong is the foundation for martial arts, then he'd be in huge trouble

Excuse my ignorance here, but I'm a practitioner (believer) of Qigong.....I'm curious as to what you are insinuating here?
    -Mike

"If you do not wish to grasp the thorn, you should not crave the rose."

I'm saying that if you speak of qi or qigong on the internet, be prepared for an inevitable backlash, maybe even across multiple threads and forums

Say one thing that someone doesn't understand, and they may not read any of your other posts, and simply troll you because they don't like you. I'm not accusing anyone specifically, but many, many people do this kind of thing here. Even people you never saw posting before.
    Last edited by intimidation; 05-07-2004 at 12:33 PM.

Originally posted by intimidation
    I'm saying that if you speak of qi or qigong on the internet, be prepared for an inevitable backlash, maybe even across multiple threads and forums
    Thanks for the advanced warning....even if a backlash towards such a discussion seems to be the dumbest thing I've ever heard.
    -Mike

"If you do not wish to grasp the thorn, you should not crave the rose."

IMO there is a clear seperation between qigong and ritual, but not everyone shares my view.

I was the one discussing with several people, primarily ED and MK about qigong. I don't believe in it, they do. Things were going well until certain comments were made that didn't need to be. Regardless, this has nothing to do with that. When I see BS I'm going to call you on it. If your sensible enough, no big deal, we go our seperate ways and agree to disagree, I've done it dozens of times on this forum.
    However, if you continue to spout bull, then I'm going to continue to call you on it. ED has made plenty of posts between now and the qigong thread that I thought were fine, so I said nothing. however when I saw his statments on my footwork thread about athentic kungfu and how if it isn't in chinese and not taught by the chinese it isn't authentic, then I had to call him on it because it is BS. It's a ridiculous belief to go around spouting publicly, and he even went so far as to say that chinese food, cooked by mexicans is not chinese food, which should show anyone with their thinking cap on, how ignorant his view on this whole thing is.

Of course what Fu Pow brought up borders closely on the qi thing, since you indeed would have to understand the chinese mind to understand what they believe Qi is. I chose not to go to that arena because we've already discussed it.

Also to recap, for those who might be confused on the issue, I have nothing against maintaining tradition, an dI have nothing against the chinese culture, it's a subject I myself find fascinating, and I enjoy the chinese martial arts thoroughly. however, I'm not ignorant enough to believe that I cannot learn the authentic chinese martial arts from non chinese and I certainly would never claim that if a chinese person hadn't taught me an art, it wasn't as good as it could be.

redangel,
    you said........................... brothernumber9 - I explained what I saw in his posts, he did not deny them. He just continued to explain his point of view, which tells me I was right.

WHAT? I explained my point of view so that means you were right? you lost me there buddy.

My point of view has nothing to do with your thinking you know anything. I didnt deny what I said to you becuse its hopeless to disagree with you because whatever you say you think your right.

let me tell you you have a lot to learn. just becuse you dont understand something dont just disagree and tell others there wrong. That's your downfall. you cant even meet people half way or say OK you have a point or an opinon if is doesnt go along with your limited thinking.

master killer, what would make you think I was removed from my system? and who are my instructors? maybe your confused? I learned from only one man.
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

Whats your beef with "breath-work"?

strike!

Originally posted by EarthDragon
    master killer, what would make you think I was removed from my system? and who are my instructors? maybe your confused? I learned from only one man.
    I thought you were the guy in the Southern forum talking about how your teachers promoted less qualified people over you, so you left the system.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

ED - how long have you been on this forum again? Oh wait, did we hang out together in high school? Cause your making a lot of judgements about me on very little data.

You made a lotof condescending and ignorant comments about authentic kungfu, what makes it authentic. those comments involved you syaing that without speaking chinese and being taught by a chinese master, it wasn't authentic but watered down american crap, correct?
    You also implied that if a martial artists says that having a chinese master is not necessary, it is because they have never had a chinese master, correct? Or should I do some cut and pasting here? Are you backpedalling now?

The difference between you and I Earth Dragon is that I know I have a lot to learn. I also know that I can learn it from any one who knows it, and I don't have to turn to the color of their skin or their birth place to know they know it.

So tell me I'm wrong here ED. Tell me I mistook what you read and that it doesn't require a chinese master or the chinese language to keep something authentic? Tell me that it doesn't take chinese poeple to make chinese food.