Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Saw a bar fight tonight

Don't argue like that in bar... If you're going to fight you better make sure that it is something you are willing to risk debilitating injury, grevious harm to your body, or even death over because it is quite possible that's what will happen if you lose.

On being a "good" guy

I agree that being a "good" ( we won't go into the philosophical discussion of what is "good') guy avoids a lot of problems.

But this winter I was taking a nap in my car in Chinatown waiting for class and I hear some guy behind me cursing and then notic ehim doing something to my rear fender. I get out and noticed he keyed my car.

So of course I ask him what the hell he's doing and he points to a dent on his front fender and says, "look what you did."

I asked him if it ever occured to him that I just parked here and the guy here before me did that backing out. Then he just had a stupid look on his face and got in his car.

It wasn't until he drove off that O noticed he strached my car. It wasn't too bad, and the guy was like 50-something maybe older Chinese guy so what am I going to do about it anway.

Point being, sometimes trouble finds you anyway. Like if your new girlfriend just dumped some juice-head quido with little self esteem and feels the need to trace you down.

Be prepared. When anyone that is not a friend stands close to be I tend to have my hands folded at my chest and one hand on my chin in the "hhhhmmmmm" position but keep changing and moving them so as not to look retarted but keep them somewhere where they can shield.

This sounds nuts, but I find myself doing it unconsciously. But when out at clubs and some strange guy leans over at the bar in to point out some chicks a$$ or something you don't know what it's about. It's been engraned in me.

Also have learned that Hsing-I's Chicken step and Ba Gua walking are great for getting through dancing drunk crowds.

As MA we should generally be aware and prepared.

I think mat said it best when he said:
    "The simple answer to this one is Brad pointed out, wear protective clothing at all times.

Or as Christopher M pointed out, become a totally wired basket-case."

Obviously being a bit sarcastic, his point is that neither of these is a valid solution. What IS a valid solution is avoiding these kinds of situations.

Obviously the hitter dude was either:

A) pretty ****ed about something

B) a total nut job

The solution for these problems is simple:

A) Don't **** people off, or put yourself into situations that they will percieve they need to get ****ed at you

B) Stay away from wackos

Another reply kinda triggered something in me that probly is worth mentioning, the simple link to barnes and noble "Bar Room Brawling" guide. How about staying out of bars? I mean one guy was even talking about moving him and his date down a few chairs to avoid trouble. I dunno, if you gotta date, there's probably alot more creative things or interesting places you could be doing/at.

Bars are a haven for morons and over-reactive putzes. Just add alcohol and blammo, instant confrontation. Bars suck, if you wanna have a drink, theres plenty of places you can get one that aren't chock full o' tards. Basically any type of locale (bar) that has its own fighting style (bar room brawling) is probably some place you don't want to frequent.

Sakko's tips for avoiding instant explosive deadly combat are:

1) be nice

2) don't go places there's lots of fights at

3) choose your friends wisely

4) avoid putzes, drunks, hotheads (basically anyone without a good personality)

5) (optional) don't drink

If you follow even a few of these rules you will avoid this type of combat almost completely. If you follow all of them, you will avoid it 100%, IMO..
    -Sakko

All true.

But if I am not drunk, don't even drink, can I still get slammed by some other drunk guy running a light or stop sign at 95 m.p.h.?

The point, in NYC there's always someone out of control drunk, high, crazy, ect., talking to themselves -- even trying to stop traffic -- all times of the day and night. Forget about taking the subway.

You can evoid only so much. Once you walk out the door anything can happen, as learned by the D.C. sniper case. Prepare for what you can. It's not that hard to keep a casual eye out. Someone you know is passed at you should be kept at arms lenght .... there's a reason for that phrase.

So what can you do to eliminate that situation of living in a place under constant threat of attack?
    -Sakko

die.

no other way around it. this universe is not under our control and that won't change any time soon. even if one day all humans behave nicely, tires will blow out, flower pots will fall from balconies, earthquakes will rumble, lightning will cook and asteroids will do whatever they **** well please. so as long as we're alive, we run the risk of death.

hm. that sounds like something either of the two frontrunners in the 2000 presidential election would have said.
    " i wonder how many people take their post bone marrow transplant antibiotics with amberbock" -- GDA

I was just reading about a theory on why so many people love conspiracy theories: they find fear in the notion that we live in a world of chaos.... it's hard for them to grasp that a lone loser can kill someone like JFK, ect.

Now, life and the world is beautiful. But just as easy as you flush the spider down the toilet you get a massive heart attack and die, or a truck with highly explosive gas jackknives around the bend in front of you on a foggy road.

I don't live in fear at all, far from it. Actually maybe a little to lax. But I try to be aware of "potential" situations, like when the guy infront of me on the LIE is swerving a bit and it's 11:00 p.m. Friday night after class .... he might be drunk, procede with caution.

If I stole some guys girl, got him fired somehow, accidentatly bumped his car, ect., I'd prepare myself as best I could without making it look like I am as to not provoke. That's the best you can do.

If he does get to you, then be prepared to bring him more violence than he ever anticipated possible from a single unarmed man.... than afterwards be sorry that it had to happen that way and be glad it wasn't you.

Not pretty, not happy, not ideal -- just life unfolding.

I hope it never happens to me.

Someone above said "Don't go to bars". For me this would be hard. Vertually all my real freinds hang out in corner pubs on Friday, and Saturday night. If I want to see them, I have to go there (Especially considering everyone's busy sceduals). It's not a bad thing to do. I don't drink AT ALL, but I can usually be found at Phil's Sports bar in Elmwood Pk. or a little bar called "The Corner" in Aurora. Both bars have their share of bar fights from time to time. I have been going to Phil's since I was 21, and The Corner (A rougher bar btw) for about 6 years now. In all this time, I've fought twice I think. Both times were challenges from other fighters, or just guys who like to brawl. I lost the one, and won the other. Each time, loser bought the winner a drink. Outside of that, I've delt with aggressives by just being mellow and never had a problem. I've ever been in any real bar fight in my life.

I think what happened in this case, is an argument from elsewhere, just transplanted locations. So to me, I think the best thing to do is try not to get into arguments (I can't belive "I" just said that LOL!!), and stay out of the way of hostile people.

If you do manage to get involved in something, nonscelontly keep your hands up as sugjested by EvolutionFist. The very fact that you do that may just de-escelate things (or make them worse depending).
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

rub.. lol..

Yes, dying is an option, but the answer I was trying to prompt was "move".

If you are uncomfortable with a situation you move away from it, whether its a person, a table, a city, or a country.

Just because I could live in Pleasantville USA does NOT mean I won't get my clock cleaned by a drunk driver or disgruntled high school student. But that also doesn't mean I should move to Iraq because I have no control over my life.

We do have control over our lives. If it's your turn to go, it's your turn to go, but you should do what you can do within your power to make your life safe. Not life in a bubble, but not life on the edge either.
    -Sakko

I call BS.

Isn't Royal Dragon the one who started a thread saying he was in a bar fight and then later posted and said he was just kidding?

"If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

No, I threatened to start a bar fight, but wussed out at the last second

Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Actually, I think WATER Dragon posted that thread.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Originally posted by cerebus
    Boxers are also expecting it, so they keep their hands up, keep their head & upper body in constant motion and do what they can to minimize impact when they DO get hit (roll with punch, catch some of the force on their glove or arm, etc). Then, sometimes, they do get hit clean and, like the guy at the bar they hit the canvas.
    Sure they do. that's what good training does. They're also fighting other trained strikers. One thing I've noticed in the fights I've been in is that the avg punch from an untrained guy isn't super hard. I've been completely blindsided before - I turned a corner and got popped as soon as I did. The punch landed on the side of my face, and a fight ensued.

I'm in no way saying that sport fighters can't be dropped by an unexpected shot. But, knowing how to deal with being struck counts for alot. In a fight, there are several factors that come into play. The ones I stated in that post - ability to absorb damage and the strength of your opponent's punch - both come into play.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Even with a lousy punch most people stand there shocked at what just happened. I've even seen it in sparring when someone isn't focusing and they get hit.
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

Some people even fall down.

For the Women:

+ = & a