Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Saw a bar fight tonight

Saw a bar fight tonight

It quite literally lasted a half second. These two guys were argueing by the pool tables, and then all of a sudden POW!. It was a one hit knockout. The poor slob that hit the floor never saw it comming. Neither was drunk. I saw the one have a half a beer, and the other walked in the door and went right over by him. It looked like a prexisting conflict that just erupted as soon as the two saw each other.

I don't know what they were arguing about, but the hitter never gave any sort of indication he would escalate it to the point of physical violence. He just popped him full force out of nowhere and knocked him out cold. He never pushed, or put his hands up or nothing. It was sudden, unpredictable violence.

Question for all, how do we as martial artists prepare for something as sudden, and unpredictable as that?
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

don't start sh!t with anyone. If you said it seemed past drama, then it was his own fault. You should controll yourself and always conduct yourself as a gentleman. Then you're in the clear.

If it was two strangers who just met, then this is what I would of done in that situation. I would of been suspicious if some guy just walked up and started arguing with me. So I'd back up so I could size him up and stay out of his reach. Then If he would of attacked that would of made him have to advance. I would, depending on his move in this situation, I would use his forward momentum for a throw or try to evade his attack and get to a more advantageous postition for good shot.
    Last edited by CaptinPickAxe; 05-07-2004 at 11:22 PM.
    CPA's current P4P List:
    -Bas Rutten
    -Captain Jack Sparrow
    -Cindy Lauper
    -Lester Moonvest

These two defenetly knew eachother, and the argument was prexisting. They weren't yelling in an "out of controll" rage, but you could see anger and raised voices. It was defenetly an argument, and they were close to one another wile doing it, but it really didn't seem like it was going to escelate.

The guy next to me didn't even see the hit. He only saw the other guy on the floor. He was looking right at it when it happened, and literally blinked and missed the hit and the guy going down. It happened THAT fast.
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

I'm talking about being a good guy always. Always try to have a good ground (at least not bad) and you won't have to really deal with a situation like that. Chances are the "victim" knew there was some beef between them. Try and fix your problems before going out for a drink or to shoot some pool. At least thats my take. I don't really have to fight...I seem to find a way out of it most times.
    CPA's current P4P List:
    -Bas Rutten
    -Captain Jack Sparrow
    -Cindy Lauper
    -Lester Moonvest

Hit first? If its about winning the fight, thats prolly the best idea. Doesnt mean you wont get in trouble with the po-pos. I would let him hit me, play injured, sue for damages, take his car, house, dog, and nail his girlfriend. Revenge is the ultimate kung fu.
    "If you and I agree all the time, then one of us is unnecessary."

It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument.
    - William G. McAdoo

Against stupidity, even the Gods contend in vain...

If I ever decide to do that, I am walking in like this.

Its all about distance!

The guy got hit because he let the other guy stand at perfect punching range.

What we teach in my class is that you must controle range as soon as you percive that theres a threat.

First option is to create ( so you are just out of punching range ) more room so that the other guy has to step forwards to punch you.......then you can defend your self right from his step in.

The second and slightly less ideal option is to stand to close to the other guy so that he has no room to punch you.....other things come into play here such as head position to make butts harder and covering his arms so he can hot punch/draw a knife etc.
    LOL.. really, what else did you hear?.. did you hear that he was voted Man of the Year by Kung-Fu Magizine?

I don't think this guy expected to get popped though. He just walked into the bar, and started arguing with the guy that had already been there. It seemed like a heated dissagreement. They were in argument distance.

In my case, when I argue like that, being a hot headed Dago, my hands are naturally up, and in motion as I tend talk with them like a steriotypical Italian. I think I would have felt it comming before it was visably noticable and jammed it wile he was chambering. This guys hands were down. He wasn't expecting it to get physical, dispite the fact he initiated the argument.

Hindsite is 20/20 though. In the Bar lastnight, I didn't see it comming till he was getting hit, and I was standing like 8 feet from the fight.
    Last edited by Royal Dragon; 05-08-2004 at 08:40 AM.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Hit first? If its about winning the fight, thats prolly the best idea

Reply]
    I'm talking about situations where you're arguing with someone, but it's an argument that really shouldn't escalate into a physical fight. 90% of arguments (my guestimate), DON'T end up in physical confrontations. Then suddenly, the person your arguing with decides to take it someplace it shouldn't even go, out of no where. If you go your way, you are going to be popping people every time you have a heated discussion.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Iron Jaw training! That's the thing for a situation like that!

Re: Saw a bar fight tonight

Originally posted by Royal Dragon
    Question for all, how do we as martial artists prepare for something as sudden, and unpredictable as that?
    That you should look for martial training that gives you ingrained position and posture reflexes that will be active 24/7. And that you should look into awareness training on top of that.

If that didn't convince you, wait until you see the same thing with a knife.

Iron Jaw would not have helped, he hit the guy square in the eye.

As for the knife, yeah I know your right about that. This guy was on the ground so fast, people who SAW it happen, didn't see it happen.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Well IRON EYEBALL then!!!!

Wear a football helmet.

LOL!!!

Well gents, I'm off to the bar!!!

For the Women:

+ = & a