Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: fa_jing workout thread

cool. I'm sure your heavy singles w/BB had alot to do with the improvement in KBs.

So watchyu putting up these days in the Oly lifts? Are you back up to your old maxes? Or if you haven't maxed out recently, what's a typical work set? Don't be afraid to brag.... Are you still weighing in @175?

That's the thing. I haven't done any real heavy stuff lately. Most of it has been in the 6-10 rep range. Weird.

My lifts are nothing to brag about. Right now, I'm concentrating on getting the full squat variations of the lifts down. I'm power snatching 165, but I can only do about 105-115 when going into a full squat catch. I figure that if I want to make prolonged progress I'll have to get the full squat version down. Once I do I should be able to pull a decent amount more than 165 too. Especially considering my DL is over 450....

I can power clean 205 and jerk 235. A 235 clean and jerk is decent for my experience and weight class, and I think I could manage that if I can get the full squat clean down.

Luckily I did some searching and I found a good coach about 3.5 miles from my appartment. Never knew this guy was here and his gym isn't listed anywhere else but the American Weightlifting website. After a few more months of working on the full squat versions, I'll head there to clean up my technique.

Ford, what's your height and weight? I forgot.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

sorry I know its been asked before, but I cant find it now - is there a place to go to find out exactly what it is you mean when u mention the types of exercise you do.....
    Visit the Site -
    www.buddha-fist.com

Iron,

6' 175 lbs... tall and lanky

Souljah,

Oly clips... Check out SNatch and Clean&Jerk http://www.olympiclifting.citymax.co...ge/1057631.htm

Originally posted by Ford Prefect
    Iron,

6' 175 lbs... tall and lanky
    my DL is over 450

5-23-04

Great workout today at the KB club. Warmed up by taking the kids to the park and running around. I hit a bunch of PRs, however, to be fair, most of the stuff I had never really attempted before.

Went to the gym, did
    9 reps LC C&J with 2 x 32kgs KBs (PR) Rested in the rack only.
    2 L/R dead snatches and 3 L/R hang snatches with the 32kg KB (PR)
    8 reps Front Squat (full) with 2 x 32 Kgs KB (PR)
    1 rep OH full squat with 2 x 32 Kgs KB

Went upstairs to try my first ever deadlifts from the floor:
    1 x 315lbs. (strong) (PR - of course)
    1 x missed x 365lbs
    1 x 315lbs. (tough, but felt good)

Finished up with
    1 x 20reps x 135lbs. Bench Press
    1 x 5 pullups
    1 x 10 reps x 135lbs. Bench Press
    1x 3 pullups
    did a few leg raises.
    All work was done w/out a belt.

Comment: RAwrrr! I love heavy singles of anything. I gave up fast on the 365lb. deadlift, I think it's good to know when to quit. Happily, this enabled be to hit 315 again.
    6'1" 180lbs.

Ford, question for ya. In the full clean and jerk, after the clean, do you want to stand all the way up, then dip again and do the jerk? Or is it better to do the jerk right off of the clean? I've been doing it mostly the second way, and it seems better for me.

You're doing it the right way. It's pretty much impossible to do it that first way once the weight starts getting real heavy. Well, it's possible, but you'll miss a lot more than if you came up, paused, then jerked. Good workout, btw. I had a decent one this morning. It was brief, but I beat my power snatch and deadlift PR's by 10 lbs each. The snatch seemed easy but the DL was a struggle.

Iron,

I've always been a good puller for some reason. My bench and squat are way off what you'd think they'd be going by my dl.

Ford, my DL is a lot higher than my bench and squat, too. If you take my 1RMs in all three (they were never this high at the same time), my squat is about 80% of my DL and my bench is about 77% of my DL 1RM, altho recently I just hit a new 4RM on box squats that would compute my 1RM to be about 84% of my DL 1RM. And yes, I realize my bench is high compared to my squat.

My point was, you have a big DL for your weight! Mine is less than 75% of yours.

That's what I mean. I've just always been a natural puller. My percentages are even lower than yours with my other power lifts compared to my DL. Even when I was a skinny little puke touching weights for my first time, I was pulling 225. I guess I'm just built better for it than for any other lifts.

Originally posted by Ford Prefect
    You're doing it the right way. It's pretty much impossible to do it that first way once the weight starts getting real heavy. Well, it's possible, but you'll miss a lot more than if you came up, paused, then jerked.
    Wait, are you saying that you should pause before you jerk? I was saying that I do not.

Oh. Heh. Looks like I need a refresher in reading comprehension. Yup, you should definately pause. Clean, come of the squat, pause to position yourself and gather energy, then dip and jerk. Do whatever feels better for you, but I'd be willing to bet that you'll eventually start pausing. Same thing can be said about push jerks and split jerks. Some people feel "natural" push jerking, but once the weight starts getting heavy, everybody usually heads over to the split.

Also, my DL doesn't go down nearly as fast as my other lifts when I take time off.

Workout 5/25/04 - Steve Maxwell Challenge (untimed) w/53lb
    comment: a little easier and quicker than the last time.