Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anything can be viewed Rascist

Christopher M

Greetings..

If we kept the labor and products in this country.. no one could afford the products, the labor would be too expensive as would the products..

Truly free trade would balance the world's wealth.. (great idea)..

Yes, it is beneficial to the out-sourced laborers.. but, due to the protectionist policies, counter-productive to a functioning global economy..

But, the point is that the US holds double standards.. one for its citizens (and favored partners) and another for others..

Be well..
    TaiChiBob.. "the teacher that is not also a student is neither"

yin yang dagger

Look at Gene Ching for example. A devout Shaolin practitioner that works here at KFM. Sure, they have articles on Wudang kung fu, but what about the uniforms? You can buy different color SHAOLIN uniforms - they even include a Monk bag - but what about Wudang uniforms? Nope, not one! Wudang folks have to SUFFER!
    wow, that's wacky. FWIW, we're working on some other robes more akin to what a wudang practictioner might wear but wudang doesn't really have a distinct general style of robe, so it's harder to characterize.

Not that this has anthing to do with this now, it's just that Yin Yang Dagger mentioned in on a shaolin thread. Carry on.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Thanks Willow Sword. I was buying into your Jewish Chinese post and you caught me off guard. I laughed out-loud at work, and looked like an idiot! Very good story. Is that really true?

Chris M, and TaiChi Bob -

Regarding protectionist policies - Reality dictates that even though in the purness of economics, pure free trade is the goal, the rest of the global economy and governments must play be the same rules. If the USA were to suddenly release all protectionist policy and subsidy, our farmers would go broke, and America's manufacturing and everything else would be bled dry by those countries who do subsidise and keep big tarrifs.

Bob - regarding whether or not the government holds immigrants down economically. You know I hear what you are implying, which I believe is a 'systemic' attemt to hold them down via governmental policies. I don't buy the whole farm there. The reality of the situation is that there LAWS, that prohibit discrimination against people for buying homes.

That means, that any immigrant that has the means, can buy into into any home or neighborhood that they so choose. Like I said, not every immigrant that comes here is poor. I work with a lot of immigrants that have a lot of money. Germans, Indians, British, Mexican, Chinese, Korean, Croatian, Russian, and more. And yes, I work with someone from each of those nationalities that makes more than average for an American household. You know what these folks have? Education and skills. They sell on the open market like any other product. I think you are focusing only on unskilled immigrant laborors. That is not the whole picture. We have white folks all accross our country that are unskilled, and poor. Same problem, no education, no skills, no money.

I think that discrimination is magnified when looking at the lowest paid unskilled labor in our nation. It is not absent, just magnified.

Re: Christopher M

Originally posted by TaiChiBob
    But, the point is that the US holds double standards
    Indeed they do. But their double standard concerns protectionist policy, which is the opposite of what you seemed to critique.

Speaking of Rascism..................

Did anyone see the Chris Rock special on HBO?!? You know, with that kind of stuff, I don't know how we are ever going to rid ourselves of rascism and discrimination. He used the N word mercilessly. In fact, the only time I heard that word, is on these kinds of specials. Unreal.

I thought it was funny, but it is just so divisive. It just keeps the embers burning.

Originally Quoted by CDLEE
    Thanks Willow Sword. I was buying into your Jewish Chinese post and you caught me off guard. I laughed out-loud at work, and looked like an idiot! Very good story. Is that really true?
    No actually it is a variation of an old joke that Gabe kaplan(of welcome back Kotter) told on his show. he would always open with some corny joke like that. hehehe glad it made your day.
    my mission is accomplished,,,hope it does for others here.

PEACE,,,TWS
    It makes me mad when people say I turned and ran like a scared rabbit. Maybe it was like an angry rabbit, who was going to fight in another fight, away from the first fight.

Greetings..

i suppose that my point is that governments seldom act globally, they (like the US) are expected to protect "their" citizens.. however, in most cases, the governments protect the governments interests.. the original intent, was to illustrate that national or cultural pride is just one more devisive mechanism used by government whose function is enhanced by maintaining separatist policies.. When governments begin to actually function in an inter-related global concept, free trade would flow naturally from it..

Be well..
    TaiChiBob.. "the teacher that is not also a student is neither"

Originally posted by TaiChiBob
    When governments begin to actually function in an inter-related global concept, free trade would flow naturally from it.
    My concern is that this may not be the case. Particularly if the state can control the popular opinion, it seems they can prevent what, I agree, would otherwise be a naturally-produced system. Certainly, we seem to be in an era of increased globalization now - yet the free trade cause is worse off now, not better off. And it's being done precisely in this manner: both culture (states) and counter-culture (activism) oppose free trade (with merely a false discourse erected to create the semblance of counter-culture opposing culture). This can be seen clearly at the latest WTO conference: the developing countries went in asking for free trade, America went in opposing it, and the protesters went in opposing it. The conference collapsed, the protesters felt victorious, America put in a new round of tariffs and subsidies, and the Doha Agreement (perhaps the most important single step towards global wealth in the entire trade movement) fell to pieces.

Something has to be done here. Unfortunately, we can't change the state: because both Republicans and Democrats oppose free trade. This means we're going to have to change the minds of the people.

In asnwer to the questoin, "Since when is a religion a race:

Originally posted by T'ai Ji Monkey

It can be if a religious group forbids marrying outside their religion:
    Examples:
    jews are forbidden to marry non-jews, etc.
    Is wrong. I challenge you to come up with a commandment against intemarriage. Not only is it not contained within any of the 613 commandments fo Jewish law, there are numerous examples of it in the Torah, (the Hebrew part of the Bible for those of you not up on religious terminology) The old custom displayed in our very own scriptures is simply that the wife adopt the customs of the husband ie convert. The prohibition against intermarriage is a modern one no stronger than the prohibition most Catholic parents would have given their children against marrying Lutherans, Protestants or even non Italians if they were Italian in America more than 50 years ago.

Jew = Race is not truly accurate any more. There is a blood line and that has actually been documented from time to time through genetic studies. But it is very thin. Black Ethiopian Jews have been linked to white Jews in New York but only the ones of the "Cohenic" line.

There is an ancient caste system in Judaism that divides all Jews into 3 groups. The Cohen, the Levites and the Israelite. Basically, the high priests, the caretakers of the temple and the common people respectively. The religion is inherited matraliniarly and so is Cohenic status. So a genetic link can be made.....but it's really small.

The idea of "Jew" as a race partly stems from 2 facts. The first is that it is an ancient religion with it's roots in the tribalism of the middle east. It was the religion of a certain particular tribe or cluster of tribes of people. The second is that there is no doctrine of evangalism. There has never been any encouragement to convert people. This is possibly why so many people think intermarriage is forbidden.

ok back to your discussion on racism.

oh btw,
    There have been as far back as the Song dynasty large Chinese Jewish populations but they seem to have been thouroughly assimilated. There used to be synagogues in Kaifeng dating back that far and there are some interesting artifacts here and there with Hebrew writing on them. These would have been Persian Jews most likely who traveled along the silk road which passed through their way on it's western end.

omarthefish.

All I can talk is from PERSONAL experience.

1.) My Father Roman Catholic and my Mother Lutherian Protestant never got a church wedding as one would have had to convert to the other faith, not a real problem as my country does not accept religious weddings as legal anyway.

2.) My Aunt(Ex-Jewish) had to denounce her faith before she could marry my Uncle who was catholic.

I have many friends of many denominations and there are MANY Faiths that require the spouse to change their faith so that they can be married by their priests.

Non-Jews I think got a 2-year study requirement of the faith, will need to check for details with a friend who is an orthodox rabbi.
    Last edited by T'ai Ji Monkey; 05-13-2004 at 04:23 PM.

Judaism’s opposition to Jews marrying non-Jews is based on the explicit prohibition in the Torah (Deuteronomy 7:3): “Do not intermarry with them. Do not give your daughter to his son and do not take his daughter for your son.” The Torah continues with the reason (Verse 4): “[If you do], they will lead your son away from Me, causing him to worship other gods…”
    According to the Talmud (Yevamot 23a), this verse also teaches that a Jew is one who is born from a Jewish mother. The basis for this inference is the terminology “…they [i.e., the non-Jewish husband and his family] will lead your SON away from Me.” Why doesn’t it say, “…they will lead your DAUGHTER away from Me”? Because it’s referring to your grandson. In other words, the son of your daughter is considered to be “your son” [i.e. Jewish], whereas the son of your son is not considered to be “your son,” but “her son”: not Jewish.
    Our concern about mixed marriages is twofold: If a Jewish guy marries a non-Jewish woman, the children she bears will not be Jews, and if a Jewish woman marries a non-Jew man, the children she bears are likely to not have a Jewish upbringing, and end up abandoning Judaism altogether.
    http://www.askmoses.com/qa_list.html?h=539

http://ohr.edu/ask_db/ask_main.php/191/Q1/
    Last edited by T'ai Ji Monkey; 05-13-2004 at 04:29 PM.

My Father Roman Catholic and my Mother Lutherian Protestant never got a church wedding as one would have had to convert to the other faith
    Well, of course... Lutherans are a bunch of dirty heathens.

omarthefish.

All I can talk is from PERSONAL experience.

1.) My Father Roman Catholic and my Mother Lutherian Protestant never got a church wedding as one would have had to convert to the other faith, not a real problem as my country does not accept religious weddings as legal anyway.

What country would that be?

2.) My Aunt(Ex-Jewish) had to denounce her faith before she could marry my Uncle who was catholic.

That's odd. My brother (Catholic) married a Jewish woman and nobody denounced anything.

Well, they both denounced me when I got stinking drunk at their wedding, but that's another story.

i'm marrying a catholic next april and the church at which we'll be wed is fine with it -- they just need to know i'm not some drug-dealing, black-market-baby-selling, giraffe-molesting pimp.

i gave that lifestyle up when i proposed to my fiancée, so i'm safe.

regardless, all that diocese needs from me is really an affidavit that says i'm not already married, and to know that i've been baptised in some sort of christian faith.
    " i wonder how many people take their post bone marrow transplant antibiotics with amberbock" -- GDA