Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: U.S. athletes told to cool it at Olympics

Unhappy U.S. athletes told to cool it at Olympics

NEW YORK — American athletes have been warned not to wave the U.S. flag during their medal celebrations at this summer’s Olympic Games in Athens, for fear of provoking crowd hostility and harming the country’s already-battered public image.
    article

This is good, but it doesn’t go far enough. To really repair our wounded reputation, the athletes, when accepting their medals, should also apologize for oppressing their fellow athletes from less-privileged countries by committing the transgression of beating them.
    -Thos. Zinn

"Children, never fuss or fret
    Nor let unreason'd tempers rise
    Your little hands were never meant
    To pluck out one anothers eyes"
    -McGuffey's Reader

“We are at a crossroads. One path leads to despair and the other to total extinction. I pray I have the wisdom to choose wisely.”

ستّة أيّام يا كلب

i hope evil people don't use this opportunity to take advantage of innocent lives.
    the world is such a messed up place. i supppose security must be really beefy for such an event.

security? This olympic will be a case study of chaos management. I read that some facility is still under construction or unfinished. failure to prepare is preparation for ...........

1972 should never happen again.

-Thos. Zinn

-McGuffey's Reader

“We are at a crossroads. One path leads to despair and the other to total extinction. I pray I have the wisdom to choose wisely.”

ستّة أيّام يا كلب

It's incredibly stupid to act as if a minority of the population represents the personality, values, and morals of an entire nation. People are individuals. There is not just one citizen per country.

people have consistently proved themselves/ourselves to be incredibly stupid.
    globally.

Okay. The Mexicans can chant "Osama" throughout the US/Mexico men's soccer game with no consequences. But God forbid we win a medal in the olympics and someone whips out a flag.
    Are those grapes sour enough for you?

PS I was watching the Mexico/US women's soccer game here in Alb. If anyone near me would have started that Osama ****, they would have eaten one of my elbows, at the very least.

I'm taking a good hard look at the rest of the world, and they really have a ways to go before they'll succeed in making me feel asahmed to be an American.

Maybe if Greece can't control an Olympic crowd, they should let another country host it, I'm starting to get the impression they bit off hella more than they could chew. And if they don't like it that we're likely to win their medals away, they can go back to cornholing each other and smashing plates on the floor. Hopah!!!
    Master...Teach me kung fu.

I think it's funny that the American Olympic committee has done this. They think that not chanting or waving flags is gonna help? Try stopping the support for terrorism and the US might regain some respect in the worlds view. Try thinking of other's feelings in their dealings.
    The US has decided to play alone unless it benefits them and for this they are falling behind the rest of the world. Sure, they have progress that money can but, but everything else, they're losing it.
    A unique snowflake

it's easy to say america is this and that right now, but what happens when it becomes islam vs. the rest of the world and not just vs. americans and american supporters...
    think it can't happen???
    ever try to reason with an extremist?
    i don't think that just because spain tucked thier tail between thier legs it makes them safe.

Originally posted by WinterPalm
    Try stopping the support for terrorism and the US might regain some respect in the worlds view.
    I wholeheartedly agree!

First- give the palestinians a state!
    second- declare war on it! Lay waste to it all.
    three- give the land to Israel.
    four- say to the arabs: 'WHAT palestinian problem?'
    -Thos. Zinn

-McGuffey's Reader

ستّة أيّام يا كلب

Dear 'rest of the world,'

You're welcome for all the medicine & life improving technologies we invent. You're welcome for the military help we provide for the weaker countries who don't have the (your word here) to keep their enemies outside their borders. You're even welcome for all the entertainment both intentional & not, we provide.
    So keep coming to us for the latest in science, medicine, art, literature, basically everything, reaching out to accept our material culture with one hand while you give us the bird with the other.

BTW--How are we supporting terrorism? By providing a steady stream of people to abduct? Mmmmkay....

I wonder how it feels to live in a country where, other countries treat you like a b1tch & you don't do anything to stop it...Oh yeah that's right...I'll never have to know that shame If I want to know I'll have to ask someone from another country...like maybe Spain.

Hmmm, might the decisions maybe also be influenced byt the following??

At this summer's Olympic Games in Sydney, Australia, the post-performance demonstration by the US men's 4x100 meter relay team also left an indelible memory. This exhibition, however, was of a quite different character. The gold medal victors in the event—Maurice Greene, Jon Drummond, Brian Lewis and Bernard Williams—created a circus atmosphere after their win that was as crass as it was backward. They preened, flexed their muscles and generally played the fool for the crowd. While Greene was on the podium he continued the clownish act, repeatedly sticking out his tongue for the benefit of the cameras. The general behavior of the sprinters—lording it over their opponents in a taunting and self-congratulatory manner—was the opposite of what the Olympics are supposed to be about: international friendship and solidarity.
    Source:
    http://www.wsws.org/articles/2000/oc...olym-o25.shtml

You're welcome for all the medicine & life improving
    technologies we invent.
    Like what technology? MP3, CD's, DVD's, all the medical and technological advances done in europe and asia from which YOU benefit?
    Seen the discovery channel program on the Harley V-Rod who asked PORSCHE to help them get the engine up and running?

Like the cheaper medication that the US refuses to import to improve YOUR lifes and so on.

Do a bit of research before rehashing prty propaganda.
    The US is falling badly behind in research and science with most of your stuff being done by FOREIGNERS.

Like I said, yr welcome.

What did that takes folks, about ten minutes?

As he watches the Discovery Channel.

I think you missed the point. I'm sure it's not the only one.

PS--I like BMW bikes best. You can go ride the 'rod.

LOL...B_d

Yeah, that was pretty bad behavior, and I am fully confident that the Americans in question are the only ones in Olympic history to ever have acted in such a manner after a win. Really. Honestly.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The general behavior of the sprinters—lording it over their opponents in a taunting and self-congratulatory manner—was the opposite of what the Olympics are supposed to be about : international friendship and solidarity.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wow, I had no idea. I thought it was an international athletic competition held to reward the highest achievements in various track and field events where the top 3 contenders are given medals of differing value consistent with their performance as compared to their competitors. I'll have to write the author of that article a thank-you note for clearing up my apparent confusion.
    "Prepare your mind..." "For a mind explosion!"
    -The Human Giant, Illusionators