Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Troy (the Movie)

OT: Troy is the BOMB!!!!

Greetings,

This movie has fantastic fight choreography that is so original it outclasses Matrix and Gladiator. I give it 12 stars out of ten.

Brad Pitt played the part of Achilles well.

mickey

Re: OT: Troy is the BOMB!!!!

Originally posted by mickey
    Greetings,

This movie has fantastic fight choreography that is so original it outclasses Matrix and Gladiator. I give it 12 stars out of ten.

Brad Pitt played the part of Achilles well.

mickey
    Should be good with Wolgang Petersen of movies like (Das Boot, The neverending Story, Enemy Mine, Outbreak, etc) as director,

Still some time till it comes to the Cinemas here.

My problems with the movie:

----spoiler alert----

1. No mention was made of Achilles' heel. So at the end of the movie, people who don't know the story will be like wtf?

2. The move that he uses to kill that big guy at the beginning; he uses it like 4 or 5 times throughout the movie. I thought that was kind of excessive.

3. In a few places the dialogue was a bit cheesy.

----spoiler over----

Other than that, it was cool, tho.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

IF - Kinda how like muay thai guys keep using that tricky shin kick to the thigh - why do they keep doing that?

I myself thing the movie was highly racist!
    Be nice to your enemy is to be cruel to yourself. - Master Wang (Combat Shuai Chiao) from the EmptyFlower forums.

To locate, close with, and destroy the enemy by
    fire and maneuver, or repel the enemy's assault by fire and close combat. ~ Mission of the Marine Rifle Company

What is best in life? To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women!

In addition to being racist against Tom Cruise, I am also racist against Brad Pitt, except when he is directed by David Fincher (Se7en, Fight Club.)

I've copied this summary of several reviews from IMDB, which portrays response as pretty mixed.

The question is: Can all the soldiers in Troy withstand the onslaught of just about all the movie critics in America? Noting that the film is based on Homer's The Iliad, Roger Ebert in the Chicago Sun-Times writes, "Homer's estate should sue. The movie sidesteps the existence of the Greek gods, turns its heroes into action movie clichés and demonstrates that we're getting tired of computer-generated armies." Ty Burr in the Boston Globe minces few words as he lays into "this surprisingly lumbering $200-million disappointment." John Anderson in Newsday describes it as "a big slab of cheese." But what most of the critics particularly object to are the performances of the three male leads. "The worst casting in recent Hollywood history," comments Jonathan Foreman in the New York Post. Michael Sragow in the Baltimore Sun describes the casting as going "woefully awry." Indeed, the only real praise being dished out by the critics in their reviews goes to Peter O'Toole, who plays Priam. His performance, writes Carrie Rickey in the Philadelphia Inquirer, "should earn O'Toole the competitive Oscar he has thus far been denied." Philip Wuntch in the Dallas Morning News comments that "it is Mr. O'Toole's heartbroken Priam whom you'll remember most vividly." Several critics, strangely, appear to take a neutral stance towards the film. Kenneth Turan in the Los Angeles Times, for example, gives it "a split decision." A. O. Scott in the New York Times comments that "for what it is -- a big, expensive, occasionally campy action movie full of well-known actors speaking in well-rounded accents -- Troy is not bad." In fact, Michael Wilmington of the Chicago Tribune is among the handful of critics who found it to be quite good. Troy, he writes: "is a huge, all-star sword-and-sandals epic, but it has all kinds of compensating rewards: flair and sweep, raging excitement, intriguing characters, visual grandeur--and a scenic force and dramatic intelligence." And Claudia Puig in USA Today calls the movie "entertainingly epic eye candy ... a gripping, well-told adaptation of one of the oldest human dramas."
    I'd forgotten it has Peter O'Toole, whom I am NOT racist against. Still, I ain't going out of my way to see Troy, although I am about 60% through Ulysses.

mmm...James Joyce...
    Last edited by Chang Style Novice; 05-16-2004 at 08:06 PM.
    All my fight strategy is based on deliberately injuring my opponents. -
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

First you get good, then you get fast, then you get good and fast.

im not interested in it. van helsing looks better. not by much.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

Van Helsing is racist, too
    Be nice to your enemy is to be cruel to yourself. - Master Wang (Combat Shuai Chiao) from the EmptyFlower forums.

To locate, close with, and destroy the enemy by
    fire and maneuver, or repel the enemy's assault by fire and close combat. ~ Mission of the Marine Rifle Company

What is best in life? To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women!

This thread is racist.
    I will crush my enemies, see them driven before me, then hit their wimminz with a Tony Danza. - Vash

I'll cut to the chase...

YOU ARE RACIST!!!!!
    CPA's current P4P List:
    -Bas Rutten
    -Captain Jack Sparrow
    -Cindy Lauper
    -Lester Moonvest

Van Helsing was entertaining but had a few holes in the story. Still enjoyed it.
    cxxx[]:::::::::::>
    Behold, I see my father and mother.
    I see all my dead relatives seated.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.
    He calls me. Take me to him.

Van Helsing was entertaining but had a few holes in the story

Not the story...ITS SOUL! BECAUSE ITS RACIST!!!!
    CPA's current P4P List:
    -Bas Rutten
    -Captain Jack Sparrow
    -Cindy Lauper
    -Lester Moonvest

I saw Troy and quite enjoyed it. It did leave me with two burning questions, however:

1. How come all the Greek heroes were smoothly hair free and pale skinned? I mean, come on, they're Greek! (Is that racist?)

2. Will Orlando Bloom ever be cast in a film where he doesn't have to use a long bow at some point?
    "i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    ---------------------------------------------
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer
    How do you think monks/strippers got started before the internet? - Gene Ching
    Find your peace in practice. - Gene Ching

i don't remember will turner ever using a longbow. closest i remember him coming to a bow in pirates of ze carribean was the bowsprit.
    " i wonder how many people take their post bone marrow transplant antibiotics with amberbock" -- GDA

I noticed that Troy not only has Legolas cast in it, it also has Boromir!
    cxxx[]:::::::::::>
    Behold, I see my father and mother.
    I see all my dead relatives seated.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.
    He calls me. Take me to him.

Originally posted by rubthebuddha
    i don't remember will turner ever using a longbow. closest i remember him coming to a bow in pirates of ze carribean was the bowsprit.
    Hairy muff. I haven't seen Pirates...
    "i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer
    How do you think monks/strippers got started before the internet? - Gene Ching
    Find your peace in practice. - Gene Ching