Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Troy (the Movie)

Originally posted by Kristoffer
    Troy looks so ****ing bad I aint going near that ****. And who the hell said Van Hellsing was good? It was like a Disney-Hollywood-Sell-out version of a wannabe horror movie. 200 million on special effects doesn't make a good movie.

Yea I'm racist!
    I said it was entertaining
    cxxx[]:::::::::::>
    Behold, I see my father and mother.
    I see all my dead relatives seated.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.
    He calls me. Take me to him.

Tit Sa You don't get it do you....Everyone here with the racist comments is taking the pi.ss out of you being so insecure about your own ethnic identity.

Seriously mate lighten up, I could not give a toss if Jet li or whoever played achilles. Its only scared people who get all wound up about things like that.

I enjoyed it..

Realised how long it's been since i read the Iliad...

I thought there were some great performances dished out...

O'tool, Cox, Banna, Bean where surperb.

Missed the lack of Gods & Goddesses but that would have made it a very different movie...

Still, the ODDESSY as a sequel would be wonderful in CGI tribute to Ray Harryhousen!!

I agree that shortening the seige into a month long affair sort of weakened it.

Then there was Achilles's "cousin" Patroclus... nice avoidance.. but hey it's not historcally sound as it is...

Angry

KEEP THE FLAME WARS OUT OF THIS FORUM.

Stacey Guest
    WHO DID THE FIGHT SCENE? WHAT STYLE?

I saw kung fu.

It was Racist Pitt doing the 4 Racist Corner Sword Style...It was straight racist.
    CPA's current P4P List:
    -Bas Rutten
    -Captain Jack Sparrow
    -Cindy Lauper
    -Lester Moonvest

Originally posted by joedoe

I said it was entertaining
    well alrite
    Oh and I might have to change my mind about Troy. One of my friends saw it and said he liked it. This guy has almost the same taste in movies like me so I might see it anyway. Guess you shouldn't judge the book by the cover huh..
    All right now, son, I want you to get a good night's rest. And remember, I could murder you while you sleep.
    Hey son, I bought you a puppy today after work. But then I killed it and ate it! Hahah, I´m just kidding. I would never buy you a puppy.

"Three witches watch three Swatch watches. Which witch watch which Swatch watch?"

"Three switched witches watch three Swatch watch switches. Which switched witch watch which Swatch watch switch?."

Guess you shouldn't judge the book by the cover huh..
    or a trojan by the size of their . . . skirt...

I saw it, here's what I thought :

Acting - ok, not the best but tolerable - not like Von Helsing anyway

Action - pretty good - The fight between Hector and Achilles was pretty freakin cool. It actually got me thinking about the fighting styles back then. I'd always sort of assumed that back in the day they just sort of hacked at each other but as I watched Pitt and Banna fighting with replica weapons from those times (roughly) I thought to myself that maybe the guys back then put more work into learning how to use their weapons then I'm giving them credit for.

Deatils - some of the detail work was actually pretty good. Moslty bronze and not steel used, that was nice to see. A lot of spear and shield work, very cool. Overall while probably not the most accurate I thought they did a fair job of atleast portraying the details, all the little things.

All in all I enjoyed the movie. The acting could have been better but like I said, it wasn't horrible.

1. No mention was made of Achilles' heel. So at the end of the movie, people who don't know the story will be like wtf?
    I think they were trying to give it a more realistic feel. Other then the omens mentioned by one of the kings councilors and maybe one or two more people, there was no magic or fantasy, like there was in the Iliad. Arrows and swords didn't bounce of achilles, he was just a really good fighter, and in the end he was caught in a compromising position and caught a badly aimed arrow ( I can't imagine Paris meant to hit him the heel).

Re: I enjoyed it..

Originally posted by Design Sifu
    O'tool, Cox, Banna, Bean where surperb.
    Bean was fabulous. I feel bad now for writting him off as a generic bad guy in spy movies.

Pitt couldn't deliver his lines, but has soulful looks down pat.

Originally posted by red5angel
    maybe the guys back then put more work into learning how to use their weapons then I'm giving them credit for.
    I think martial artists tend to unfairly treat the sophistication of military tactics; what you want martially as a civilian is far different than what you want as a soldier fighting in formation.

The short swords they used were designed specifically for thrusting (to get the guy to raise his shield) and then chopping the knee - to the fight coordinator's credit (there was a bit of movie kungfu in there), Bana does exactly this in his duel with Pitt.

I'd never really looked into it. I've read a lot of books on Roman warfare and there abouts but they never really get into detail on specifics and I'd always sort of just assumed it was a hack and slash affair.
    I imagine that on the bettlefield fighting might be simplified for obvious reasons, but for many of those who fought as a "career" (I know there weren't any "professional armies" until Rome created it's legions later on, many of these guys still fought more often then not) I would imagine that learning to fight, whether formalized or not, was probably a priority in their lives.If anyone has any good resources on that sort of thing it would be appreciated.

Anyways....enough of everyones flaming...back to the thread.

Originally posted by YinYangDagger
    Van Helsing is racist, too
    I didn't really like that flick...I felt it was too hollywood for my tastes.

But I want to say that this movie is sooo historally incorrect.

Me and my dad was watching a documentary on the History channel (one of the best channels). They said that the Troan Horse could really be a sophistcated battering ram.
    And that myth switched it all around and such.
    A"recovered" crack addict. "That came from being one of the Reagan-era kids when I was in middle school as part of that whole Just Say No thing. They would have people who were recovering addicts come to talk to us at school. One guy in particular came to talk to us about drugs. But it didn't sound like he thought they were that bad. He sounded more like a commercial for drugs than a warning."
    -Dave Chappelle on Tyrone Biggums

"A good male hostage negotiator can talk the pants off a nun. And a good female negotiator could be caught in bed with another man by her husband and the next moment would be standing up, putting her clothes on, acting like it was a big joke, convincing the husband that nothing happened. And after a while, maybe he wouldn't believe it, he's not stupid, but it would put some doubts in his head..."
    -CPD hostage negotiator

They said that the Troan Horse could really be a sophistcated battering ram.
    you mean like the Condom ?. . .

ouch, sorry

Originally posted by Design Sifu

ouch, sorry
    Don't let it happen again.
    A"recovered" crack addict. "That came from being one of the Reagan-era kids when I was in middle school as part of that whole Just Say No thing. They would have people who were recovering addicts come to talk to us at school. One guy in particular came to talk to us about drugs. But it didn't sound like he thought they were that bad. He sounded more like a commercial for drugs than a warning."
    -Dave Chappelle on Tyrone Biggums

"A good male hostage negotiator can talk the pants off a nun. And a good female negotiator could be caught in bed with another man by her husband and the next moment would be standing up, putting her clothes on, acting like it was a big joke, convincing the husband that nothing happened. And after a while, maybe he wouldn't believe it, he's not stupid, but it would put some doubts in his head..."
    -CPD hostage negotiator