Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hey Australians, what the hell happened?

Question Hey Australians, what the hell happened?

Japanese Team wins International Australian Football Tournament

The all-Japanese team, the Samurais, have become the first Japanese-based team to win an international Australian Rules Football tournament. In front of an awestruck international gathering, they showed silky smooth skills and overcame a tough draw to remain undefeated in the face of competition from Indonesia, Australia, Ireland and even their local rivals the Tokyo Goannas.

Held at the Radisson Hotel Narita Airport and sponsored by Fosters and Hardy's Wines, the Narita Cup is an annual event showcasing Australian Football and is fast becoming the Australian Football equivalent of the Hong Kong Sevens. Since the Narita Cup became an international event it has never been won by a local side. For that matter, a Japanese team has never won ANY international Aussie Footy event.

Over many years the Japan AFL has successfully organized a league and a number of major events. This effort was always destined to translate into on-field success and the Samurais' victory will ring out loud in international circles.

At the beginning of the tournament no-one dared dream that a Japanese team could win. Even when the Samurais were undefeated on day one and had beaten the Indonesian favorites, few thought they could go on with the job on day two. On day two they overwhelmed all opposition and proved that they were true champions. This result will be heard back in Australia. The professional Australian Football League sent representation to this year's event and they were privileged to witness some remarkable footballers plying their trade here in Japan.

http://mdn.mainichi.co.jp/japano/eve...ml#aussierules
    Last edited by unkokusai; 06-21-2004 at 01:05 PM.

I don't think the Australian team consisted of professional players, or if they were they were not the first grade players.
    cxxx[]:::::::::::>
    Behold, I see my father and mother.
    I see all my dead relatives seated.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.
    He calls me. Take me to him.

or the japanese jsut whooped thier asses!!!!!! LOL hmmm if they're anything like british football people im scared.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

Re: Hey Australians, what the hell happened?

Lol! I heard about Japanese AFL a few months back on the radio. It's mainly a bunch of ex-pats that popularised it and some locals took it up. I looked at the photos and trust me, there aren't any Australian professional players or ex-players that I recognise in there. Besides, here's the clue:
    Originally posted by unkokusai
    ... sponsored by Fosters ...
    No self-respecting Australian in their right mind would play at an event sponsored by Fosters .
    "If trolling is an art then I am your yoda.if spelling counts, go elsewhere.........." - BL

"I don't do much cardio." - Ironfist

"Grip training is everything. I say this with CoC in hand." - abobo

I met an Aussie who was double fisting Shiner Bock in a bar in Austin. I did the stereotypical thing, "Do you drink Fosters...Australian for Beer?"

His reply shocked me and made me laugh, "Fosters?!? Hell no, we give that **** water to you Americans...we hate it"
    CPA's current P4P List:
    -Bas Rutten
    -Captain Jack Sparrow
    -Cindy Lauper
    -Lester Moonvest

Originally posted by Shaolinlueb
    or the japanese jsut whooped thier asses!!!!!! LOL hmmm if they're anything like british football people im scared.
    Toby is correct. Trust me, it will be a long time before anyone can challenge Australia at its own football code.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.

Originally posted by CaptinPickAxe
    I met an Aussie who was double fisting Shiner Bock in a bar in Austin. I did the stereotypical thing, "Do you drink Fosters...Australian for Beer?"

His reply shocked me and made me laugh, "Fosters?!? Hell no, we give that **** water to you Americans...we hate it"
    Fosters is not beer.

Dunno Shiner Bock. But I've said before that I don't know a single Aussie who drinks Fosters. I'm surprised that they've got so much money really. I mean, they sponsor lots of major sporting events worldwide.
    "If trolling is an art then I am your yoda.if spelling counts, go elsewhere.........." - BL

Originally posted by joedoe

Toby is correct. Trust me, it will be a long time before anyone can challenge Australia at its own football code.
    Looks like you have three things:

1) The result

2) Excuses

3) Beer in really big cans that you don't like

And it looks like you only got one thing - no idea

Re: Hey Australians, what the hell happened?

Firstly,
    Held at the Radisson Hotel Narita Airport and sponsored by Fosters and Hardy's Wines, the Narita Cup is an annual event showcasing Australian Football and is fast becoming the Australian Football equivalent of the Hong Kong Sevens.
    The equivalent of the HK 7's? Riiight.

Secondly,
    The professional Australian Football League sent representation to this year's event and they were privileged to witness some remarkable footballers plying their trade here in Japan.
    This says to me not that professional AFL players played and lost to the Japanese team, but that at least two AFL reps were there to watch the games on a paid holiday. They didn't venture an opinion, so the journalist decided to venture his, that they were "privileged to witness ... remarkable football". Yeah, remarkable in its badness.

unkokusai, the team who's won the AFL premiership for the last 3 years is the Brisbane Lions. Even though they're not as dominant this year, I'd bet my house, car and all my worldly possessions against them losing to the Japanese Samurais. I'd probably bet that your average Australian under 18's team would beat the Samurais, although I wouldn't put the same wager forward .

The grapes.

They are sour.

Nice trolling attempt, I've gotta admit. I was just trying to tell it like it is, but if you don't wanna listen ...

Tobes, don't worry about it. He is just having a dig. Fair enough. We lost. Oh well.

Let me know how Japan goes in the rugby

Hrmmm... Till now, I've thought that AFL only existed in Australia. Who the hell was representing Australia? And unkokusai, your not Australian are you?