Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: The first step

Yep Bob, great description. Our Sifu had us go to the mall (told us to in good faith) and watch folks walk to see the various methods. I gotta say, around 80% at least are 'fallers'. They just fall onto that other leg over and over.

What I like are the side to side 'leaners'. They are usually overweight a good bit, and wadle or lean significantly to the side every single step. Plus the head bobs up and down.

I used to march in marching bands when younger, and we had to, of neccessity, learn a stepping method from the older students that would allow your head to remain positively level at all times, so you didn't bust up your lips on your instrument.

LOL at the western walk. When I began my studies my shoulders were around my ears, legs stiff and back tight. This has changed and now I have a loose balanced relaxed lope. I'm usually in pretty good structure and everything moves together.

I was explaining to a new student last week that one of the benefits of IMA is what I like to think of as "energy conservation". I'm not fighting gravity anymore, hence all these little subsystems one unconciously uses when engaging in "bad postural" habits are erased through proper alignments in motion and stillness.
    I am no longer wasting the "energy" through the unconcious effort to remain upright and moving.

So many folks use muscles that really shouldn't be involved in these processes IMO. Why tense up your shoulder and crane your neck forward? They don't aid in the process of walking just as locking your knees out when standing?The good strong core muscles as developed by solid IMA practice are all the ones you need for basic living tasks.

Once that energy drain is no longer a part of psycho-physical
    conditioning or nuero-muscular tension? You'll naturally have extra energy. At least I find that to be my situation.
    I've become a much more efficient organism.

But then I waste it on too much Fa...

But that is another tale.

BH - Yes, I checked my waist and hips with my fingers as guides, and I have been using my hips all along. Whew! You guys scared me for a minute. At the end of any movement using the hips, then the hips can coil a little further as I think you said. I love these coiling movements, as for me, they make my back feel great.

As far as the intention in the leg we are shifting away from. Something I think you guys may have heard before that is really nice, is thinking of the other or 'yin' foot as a suction cup, sucking onto the ground. It keep the other leg alive with intention without muscular stress.

Are we really discussing good stuff on KFO forum? Well if you guys will, I will. Usually, to be very honest, I am here for fun only. But hey, every once in a while, you see good stuff, or you can help with a comment here and there.

Great thread Buddy, et al.
    The more one sweats in times of peace, the less one bleeds in times of war.

So from here we want to involve the arms. This is where it really gets tough not to involve the waist. The first thing I suggest is that you hold the arms out parallel, and just there is no mistake here i mean the same distance between the wrists and elbows, with the shoulder blades spread, elbows about a fist distance in front of the body. Maybe with the palms facing like Taiji ruler. Don't move them just keep them this way while you shift and turn.

Ok Buddy, been doing this one. Very nice drill. Ready for the next step...

I see that you have taken the waist and spine twisting out by keeping the arms/palms at equal distance during the movement.

Alright lets switch gears. Since we're going to bring the arms into it, let address that. Most of you have done the "tree hugging stance" So what's that mean? Well, a lot that I cant get into right now. Suffice to say you want to get a lot of room inside the body and the first step is to get it between the shoulder blades. Pete and Leo?
    So we almost always want to keep a constant angle in the body. This is 45%. So what if the limb is streched out? About 125% or so. Truly this is the best angle to keep structure. So starting with hand at about dantien level at the side (trouser seam) and just drill (chuan) upward keeping that shape of the arm. Do it just in a hirse stance. Then just use one arm in the shift and turn. Then one arm in the shifting and turning. Then in a horse stance do both arms. The lowering arm bring the rising arm up. Then combine. This should take a couple of months. I guaren****tee you if it doesn't you are doing it wrong. The waist CANNOT move in this exercise. If it does you're doing it wrong. Read Bruce Frantzis' book on Opening the Energy Gates and I will explain it to you.
    Buddy

WOW! Sorry, I can't say that I understand much of what is being said but I had to mention that this is the most eloquent that I have ever seen Bai He post. It was beautiful...(not making any comments on his intelligence or anything it just came out of the blue). It's like that movie Old School, where Will Ferrell debates that guy from Crossfire.

Ok, you can go on with your discussion.

Paul

I have my moments...

"Suffice to say you want to get a lot of room inside the body and the first step is to get it between the shoulder blades."

- Developing space in your body is very important. Lots of people keep tension in their bodies, particularly in their shoulders and back. What's a good way to feel the shoulder blades separate is to just stand, with your arms down. Have someone put their hands on your shoulder blades and push out (not in, just out). That way you can feel how the blades separate. Keep in mind like anything else, you don't want to force this. Over time and practice it will fall naturally into place.

"...just drill (chuan) upward keeping that shape of the arm. Do it just in a hirse stance. Then just use one arm in the shift and turn. Then one arm in the shifting and turning. Then in a horse stance do both arms. The lowering arm bring the rising arm up. Then combine."

- Keep your frame. Don't use the waist as Buddy has mentioned. This is all hip motion, as with the first part of this thread. Also another thing to keep in mind is that the drilling hand does not cross the centerline. Also do this slowly. You get 1000 times more benefit doing it slowly than quickly.

"This should take a couple of months. I guaren****tee you if it doesn't you are doing it wrong. The waist CANNOT move in this exercise. If it does you're doing it wrong. Read Bruce Frantzis' book on Opening the Energy Gates and I will explain it to you."

- Yep, none of this stuff is magic. It is work. Do it everyday.