Thread: Lin Wan Charp Choy

Lin Wan Charp Choy

I have encountered this famous technique of Buk Sing Choy Lay Fut in many texts, but I haven't been able to conceptualise how it looks like - neither have I seen it in action. So, it would be cool to have someone describe the Lin Wan Charp Choy (Continuous Stabbing Strike) even on a superficial level. The Charp Choy techniques of the Buk Sing branch have always intrigued me, because many of them are unique products of Tarm Sarm and his descendants.
    "Extra inch, extra power." -Tarm Sarm

Well let's see..it is continuous...it is executed in a stabbing manner...it is a strike that continuously stabs.

As I have been taught and trained, it is quite deceptive. I often tell people where I am going to hit them and 8.9 x out of 10 I will hit them. And this is merely one tsap choi.

The technique is a quick stab that is fueled by the hips..of course. The use is forward, rapid, and non-stop. Of course this is all predicated on dynamic reaction. So I might start with 1 or 2 tsap choi's but transition into sau choi, upper cut or fu jow! So many variables. I might add, it is a technique that is crammed down one's throat..practitioner and opponent

Done properly (that is to say not as a boxing jab), it quickly disorients your opponent and ends the encounter 1-2-3.

nospam.

from what i know, the cool thing about charp choi is that its not a heavy technique. i kinda think of it like hitting w/ a sledgehammer(like ur sao choy) to hitting with an arrow. IMO, the strength of charp choi hand formation is that it's thin and light, though tightly compact on contact, in comparison to the heavier gwa,sao,kup, etc... this makes it easier to manuever, leak, and penetrate through an opponents defenses and the continuity and versatility of the strikes truly makes it devastating to an opponent. although, i personally feel its harder to develop the charp choi properly and mor care must be taken not to injure urself if ur not properly trained and conditioned.
    "Pride builds walls between people; Humility builds bridges."- R. Warren

Thanks nospam for clearing it out, although I'm still not totally clear about it. I'll have to see it in action someday.

I agree with you, Mysteri. The charp choy is a very intricate technique that involves a lot of conditioning and proper mechanics, but when executed well it is very agile, taking the quality (or form) of a supple panther, while gwa, sow and cup are done more like an elephant swinging its trunk.

The charp choy techniques of Choy Lay Fut are truly fascinating and I have taken special interest in them. It's always interesting to see new perspectives and variations on the charp choy.

By the way, nospam.. any new video clips coming up?

Ah, me videos. They were training videos but good enuff to show a little of what and how we do. If golf wasn't getting in my way, I'd update the site!

Seeing that the tsap choi is a signature move, it is trained a lot. I have always likened this technique to that of a snake's strike in terms of execution, power and ferocity. And of course extension is key. Hand conditioning is a must! Otherwise don't use it. But..hey..we all know and understand that relationship now don't we.

I doubt you will get anyone going too much into detail of the technique. I do enjoy showing it though. Might gung fun

nospam.