Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: buddhist way

jfbrown Guest

buddhist way

Has any experienced wing chunner out there viewed the videos offered by the Buddhist way of Wing Chun people?(http://home.clara.net/buddhistwingchun/), also what's the scoop on their organization?

Sihing73 Guest

Unable to give a vialbe answer

Hello,

I remember this group popping up some time in the past. I do not recall hearing anything other than negative things but all of my information is second-hand so that gives an idea of what its worth ;)

As to the idea of "teaching Wing Chun" in accordance with the original Buddhist precepts, I would have to say this is going out on a limb. What exactly are the "Buddhist" precepts of an art designed to kill and maim the opponenet with the least amount of effort? Sorry but I never thought Martial Arts and Religion were a good mix. Whiloe the culture and sometimes religous attitude may have contributed to the formation of some aspects of an art, an art designed for COMBAT is almost always seperate from religous views, no matter the prevailing beliefs.

Just my opinion nothing more, nothing less.

Peace,

Dave

Sam Guest

Fut Sao Wing Chun Kuen

Hi Dave. My teacher taught me that we are to preserve life and find the "way" through martial practice. Siu Lin Tao, little transmutation is an inward development of mind, body, spirit. Chum Que, deppressing the bridge between the other side and us. Bil Gee, Thrusting fingers, the finger of God moves us to righteousness. The Angel Michael slew the wicked for God. It is not the instrument that is evil but the intent of the wielder.

kungfu cowboy Guest
    nevermind!

jfbrown Guest
    what happened to your first reply cowboy? Why all the anger?

jfbrown Guest
    how would someone go about retracting their replies?

kungfu cowboy Guest
    I just went back and deleted what I wrote (edit or delete: bottom right). I was already in a foul mood prior to posting, and decided that that affected my reply, so I erased it. I wasn't angry; just annoyed.

"Ninja!...NINJA!"-Christopher George, from "Enter the Ninja"

[This message was edited by kungfu cowboy on 05-16-01 at 10:12 PM.]

jfbrown Guest
    all wing chun students (whether they realize it or not) are being taught buddhist principles, if not with words, then with direct physical transmission.

kungfu cowboy Guest
    Buddhist principles should be held in high regard. But when I learn a martial art, all I am learning is how to fight.

However, if you mean in addition to the physical movements there is also philosophy verbally taught, I see your point.

You sure ain't learning buddhist principles just from physical motion!

kungfu cowboy Guest
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> all wing chun students (whether they realize it or not) are being taught buddhist principles, if not with words, then with direct physical transmission.
    [/quote]

Ok, I'm curious as to what this means. Are you saying that if someone with no prior knowledge of buddhism learns wing chun from a non-buddhist mute,(say for experimental control purposes) could after learning wing chun, through the means of "direct physical transmission" suddenly write or converse about buddhism and buddhist principles?

jfbrown Guest
    i respectfully disagree, cowboy, with your statement that the physical part of wing chun does not teach buddhist ideas. let's try and see the principles in action.
    chi sao- the principle of non duality is taught through the continually joined harmonious contact with your partner. The illusion of an opponet disappears to reveal unity.
    the idea of detachment can be seen as we are taught to let our parts (feet, hands, elbows, etc. ) operate independently of each other.(the way our structure works)
    Non resistance is another. The list keeps going. The point is that even if we dont understand these ideas intelectually we can learn them directly through physical means(experience is the best teacher) and we start applying these lessons in other areas of life.

jfbrown Guest
    No, the hypothetical student may not be able to write or converse about the buddhism he learned from the deaf-mute-non-buddhist teacher, but never the less he may have experienced more buddhism than a monk who only experienced buddhism through intellectual abstractions. Buddhism was meant to be experienced, not pondered.

kungfu cowboy Guest
    Ok, I understand what you are saying, but it takes an intellect using language to make those connections. So, its not direct in the sense of "wow, I do the wu sao, and I done gots step 1 of enlightenment" magically implanted into your psyche. It requires an interpretation along the lines of the subject. I could just as easily interpret it as directly transmitting taoist principles or how a piston works.

jfbrown Guest
    When we start to interpret, we stop being here and now! Truth may take many models, but it is still truth. Be it the way a piston works or the teachings of some 2500 year old guy, the model we make of our experience is not the experience. The experience is the experience. The truth of the lesson is still transmitted, unless all of our catergorizing and model making gets in the way.

"don't think, feeeeeeel" - some cheesy kung fu flick.

kungfu cowboy Guest
    Fair enough! I think I tend to over-analyze things! :)