Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ot- chronicles of rid****

Even worse is Mel-Gibson-Syndrome, when an actor feels "his repsonsibility" to make the movie better by writing his own scenes into the movie (ala Payback), or getting a director fired because he cut too many of your scenes and forcing the studio to allow you to edit your own cut of the film (ala Edward Norton).

If you are paid to act, then act. Leave the writing to the people who get paid to do it.
    Last edited by MasterKiller; 05-21-2004 at 09:33 AM.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Well, Mel Gibson just likes to be tortured in his movies. Probably some kind of masochism from his traditionalist Catholic upbringing. I guess in the original Payback script, only like a third of the movie was Gibson being tortured, so it clearly wasn't enough.

I suppose Ed Norton is probably just a d!ck. Good actor though.

I will go as far as to say I don't have a problem with actors changing some of the lines of a character to better fit their vision of the character. Acting is, after all, an art form, so it's more than just rote memorization and regurgitation of lines. Since most hollywood scripts go through several studio writers to punch them up, etc... between when they leave the original screenwriters hands and when the movie is actually made, I just consider a good actor to be one more participant in that process.
    The cinnabun palm is deadly, especially when combined with the tomato kick. - TenTigers

dwid - I actually thought BladeRunner was a "smarter" version of the story. The book sort of lays everything out for you. Everytime I watch BR I get something new out of it. It's my favorite movie ever.

MK - I agree but for the most part you can't expect hollywood, which is designed to make money first, entertain second, to not dumb down something. Along those lines look at PG-13, I hate that rating and feel it's ruined the movie industry for adults. I like action films, I like a little T and A and maybe some gore form time to time. I cringe when I think of what PG-13 has done for some movies that could have been that much better. Just think of Conan the Barbarian if PG13 were around at that time!

dwid - I actually thought BladeRunner was a "smarter" version of the story. The book sort of lays everything out for you. Everytime I watch BR I get something new out of it. It's my favorite movie ever.
    It is a smart story. The director's cut is smarter than the theatrical cut, though. The voice overs in the original cut were annoying.

I like that Ridley Scott confined himself to just one main aspect of the story. For example, the book is loaded with stuff about Mercerism, the religion that actually comes up in a lot of PKD's work, and that would have just been too much to fit into the movie and really doesn't serve the central storyline. All in all, I agree with you that there's a lot to pick up from multiple viewings. I love Rutger Hauer's death speech, so dramatic it's almost worthy of Shakespeare.
    The cinnabun palm is deadly, especially when combined with the tomato kick. - TenTigers

I'm pretty sure I'm the only guy on the face of this planet who liked the original. The voice overs gave it a noirish feel, something Scott was looking for anyway. Those narrations are classic detective stuff.

I'm scared they're going to take Jeters work and turn it into a movie. I'm insulted by his crappy follow up books. Like Zahn with Star Wars, it's almost like Jeter didn't bother to watch the movie, but sort of skimmed over it then wrote a "sequel". Here scott took the underlying commentaries on humanity, intelligence and life, and turned it into a fine dam movie, and Jeters follows through with mindless action.

Actually Jeter was a close friend of PKD. He's definitely his own writer, though, not an imitator.
    All my fight strategy is based on deliberately injuring my opponents. -
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

First you get good, then you get fast, then you get good and fast.

Originally posted by red5angel
    I'm pretty sure I'm the only guy on the face of this planet who liked the original. The voice overs gave it a noirish feel, something Scott was looking for anyway. Those narrations are classic detective stuff..
    I liked the original, but I loved the director's cut. The original had the feel of a sci-fi Chinatown and really harkened back to that genre, but the D.C. was such much more cereberal and let the images convey the emotions. Plus the ambigiousness ending coupled with the deleated dream sequence changed the story from the original.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Back to Riddck, the best thing I can say about 'Pitch Black' is that it was not worse than prison rape. Probably. I've never experienced prison rape, so I don't want to stick my neck too far out here.
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

Originally posted by Chang Style Novice
    I've never experienced prison rape.
    This from the dude with a Catbus as an avatar.
    BreakProof Back® Back Health & Athletic Performance
    https://sellfy.com/p/BoZg/

"Who dies first," he mumbled through smashed and bloody lips.

Catbus would totally prison rape Akuma.
    Crippled Avenger

Originally posted by Chang Style Novice
    Catbus would totally prison rape Akuma.
    Nah, it'd be a mutual thing.
    BreakProof Back® Back Health & Athletic Performance
    https://sellfy.com/p/BoZg/

"Who dies first," he mumbled through smashed and bloody lips.

Originally posted by MasterKiller
    [writer rant]

Nothing I hate more than some coked-up Hollywood producer and director conspiring to make the source material "more accessible" so the vast majority of stupid Americans won't feel dumb while watching the movie version.

[/writer rant]

Beautifully put. I agree 100 %
    Someone mentioned I.Robot earlier. I think the original story might be hard to transfer into the big screen. BUT. I remembered the book to be quite violent and since Will "wicky-wow-wow" Smith is innit I can't imagine it to be ANNYTHING like the source. I smell a Disney adventure on this one. Sadly..
    All right now, son, I want you to get a good night's rest. And remember, I could murder you while you sleep.
    Hey son, I bought you a puppy today after work. But then I killed it and ate it! Hahah, I´m just kidding. I would never buy you a puppy.

"Three witches watch three Swatch watches. Which witch watch which Swatch watch?"

"Three switched witches watch three Swatch watch switches. Which switched witch watch which Swatch watch switch?."

I'm scared they're going to take Jeters work and turn it into a movie.
    I'm confused. Who is this Jeter fellow and what movie are they making based on his work?

Originally posted by Vash

Who's Warhammer?

www.gamesworkshop.com

edit

http://store.us.games-workshop.com/s...=DoRace&game=8

thats necormunda.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

Jeter wrote a couple of godawful sequels to BladeRunner. Truly sacriligeous to the greatest movie of all time.

"If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes!"

Brilliant!
    "i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    ---------------------------------------------
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer
    How do you think monks/strippers got started before the internet? - Gene Ching
    Find your peace in practice. - Gene Ching