Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: rowing machines do ya any good?

GunnedDownAtrocity Guest

rowing machines do ya any good?

just wondering cause i am picking up an old one from my girl friends family for the hell of it ...

where's my beer?

Kung Lek Guest
    rowing is great for the back muscles and lats.

if the seat's on a sliding rail, you can get good leg exercise out of it too.

real rowing is also good, but to buy a sculling boat is very expensive.

peace

Kung Lek

Martial Arts Links

GunnedDownAtrocity Guest
    is it a good cardio workout though?

where's my beer?

IronFist Guest
    if you do it for a while, yeah.

5 rows = not a cardio workout

20 minutes = good cardio workout

Don't expect any huge strength gains tho, it's not like doing weighted pullups or anything :p

Iron

GunnedDownAtrocity Guest
    i was actually thinking of using it strictly for the cardio.

something constant that i might actually do.

i wont run, i wont jump rope, i wont do taibo, and when i hit the bag it's just too easy to not catch your breath for just a second between combos.

i just want something menial and repetative that i can zone out and do 3 or 4 times a week to build my wind.

where's my beer?

Stranger Guest
    A good rowing machine is a great piece of equipment to have. The kind with the chain and flywheel assembly are great.

LEARN HOW TO ROW PROPERLY OR YOU WILL HURT YOURSELF.

I don't get mad.
    I get stabby.

Stranger Guest
    Kung Lek,

You can enter rowing clubs without buying your own shell. It is a great activity to become involved in. Crewbies are very well conditioned athletes.

I don't get mad.
    I get stabby.

Lost_Disciple Guest
    Man, today, i tried rowing without using my legs- kinda like a high rep bent row...dayumn... didn't last five minutes; of course that was trying to maintain a high pace after I'd just finished 45 min on another machine....but still...

Strangely enough I noticed the front part of my shoulders burning the most.

Just some thoughts from an ignoramus.

does anyone here know about rowing machines?

I'm trying to come up with a good plan for cardio when the weather is sour and I can't swim. I've pretty much decided on getting a rowing machine. They're less expensive than elipticals and steppers, are a no-impact workout (good for the knees), and give a good cardio workout. I'm up to the figuring out which type/machine to go for. I'm trying to decide on whether to get one that uses air resistance or pistons (the ones that use water resistance are too expensive). I've used both at one point or another, and don't necessarily have a preference. I thought the piston machines have more resistance, while the air machines have a smoother feel. My main priorities are an effective cardio workout, and a durable machine. Anywhos, I'm open to all advice and information about rowing machines that anyone would have. Thanks.

The world-wide standard for rowing machines is the Concept II. They're also one of the most expensive, but IMHO well worth it. I don't have one, but there are 4 at my gym. It's an air resistance machine, but you won't find it's lacking in resistance. At the max setting, you'll be able to get right up near your max heart rate.

They are definitely durable. The ones at my gym have been there for at least 5 years and take a beating but I've never seen them out of service, unlike some other pieces of equipment. If you were getting one for personal use, I doubt you'd ever break it.

I haven't used other machines to compare it since the Concept II is everywhere, but the features are nice. Adjustable resistance from 1 to 10 (although I always just use 10). Obviously you can adjust your strokes per minute to increase the workout too. Display has a few screens as well as HR monitor capability. I usually leave it on the screen that displays time taken to row 2000m and try to keep it under a certain time. It adjusts every stroke you take, so you always know how much effort you're putting in.

Overall, 10/10 for the Concept II. The only problem is the price.

http://www.concept2.co.uk/rower/

Hope that helps.

First, I thought the C2 used water resistance? It doesn't really matter though.

As much as I know how great the C2 is, it's also a bit more than I was willing to spend. I'm not a pro-style rower or anything, I'm just looking for a good cardio workout to complement my MA training. I think $900 is a little much to spend on that. Has anyone had good experience with something in the less expensive range?

Oh how I love my rowing machine (apol. to Ford)

Well, it was my (wife's ) b'day last week, so I got (her ) a 2ndhand Concept 2 Model C from my old high school. Mmm, Concept 2. I'm gunna do my HIIT on this over winter so I can avoid the rain and dark nights. I only did HIIT sprints once at night and it wasn't easy in the dark. It has built in interval counting so I don't need to use my HRM for timekeeping. I can watch TV as I go. Oh, man, it's sweet. Nice all over workout feel, too. Like doing multiple lightweight deadlifts. I haven't used one for a few years and had forgotten how good they are.

On the down side, the 5 yr old ergo that has seen many puking school kids cost me more than a new Model D costs in the U.S. On the down side part 2 I did a session with bare feet the other day. I felt the pain as I was going, but I didn't want to stop my intervals. After I stopped I was almost scared to look down at the dime-sized raw circle on my left heel. WC class sucked last night - my shoe rubbed right on the sore spot. Also, last night was lots of footwork. My squats this cycle are being done with thongs until it heals.

Agreed, good bit of kit,C2s are the stardard and vitually bullet proof.Sorry to hear you didn't get a 2 hand for a reasonable price,they are regular features at a low prices in the trading posts over this side.(God bless are those short lived fittness fanatics)
    I am pondering why you did a row session bare foot?
    A Problem is only a Problem if you think it is a Problem and every Problem has a solution

Don't worry about losing lass,I've been wrestling wolves since you were suckling on your mama's titt
    Groundskeeper Willy

You're truly a hopeless romantic.

Originally posted by Ka
    Agreed, good bit of kit,C2s are the stardard and vitually bullet proof.Sorry to hear you didn't get a 2 hand for a reasonable price,they are regular features at a low prices in the trading posts over this side.(God bless are those short lived fittness fanatics)
    I am pondering why you did a row session bare foot?
    It cost me $1200. That's the norm for others I've seen here. I looked on the internet and saw Model D's for US$850. Sykes' price for D's in Oz is $2400ish .

I rowed barefoot because I used to often row barefoot or with socks on (in shells). I should've put socks on . It didn't hurt through the whole 8min warmup or until the 3rd or 4th interval and I didn't want to stop then. Guess I'm stupid like that.

Ford, I also got (her ) some sweet leather focus pads a few weeks back. She loves them when she gets to hit. Not so much when I get to hit. I also got her a double end bag after Iron's glowing review but I haven't put it up yet. Funny, OTOH she thinks I'm stupid to want to buy a bunch of chains. I rang a few specialty rigging stores to get prices and she didn't understand why I didn't just go to the hardware store. I didn't have the heart to tell her I want $100+ of chains and I can save and get quality from a rigging shop.