Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Someone tried to break into my home last night

Originally posted by Vash
    That's some scary $hit. Glad everyone is all right, Gene.

You raise a good point about traditional weaponry. We might not use it in the "street," but we probably could find some use for it in home security.

Again, glad everyone's all right.
    true...and ditto, but almost everynight when I get home ( seeing as how my front door wont lock and I'm a chick)..I do a security check when I arrive........that'as the idea of self defence right......weapons shouldn't per sae be neccessary......besides scare tactics ..what are you planning to chop the dudes arm off?????

crazy at best.........

The muzzle blast of a 7.62 x 54 bolt action Moisin Nagant from WWII would send anyone in their right mind running for their life if not paralzed with shock..

MAN! That's a BAD A$$ rifle dude. I had a friend in college that had one of them, and we used to shoot it on the weekends.

Anyway, you should have told the guy to rake your yard or you were going to beat his a$$ LOL. And while he was at it, the gas for the lawn mower was in the garage.
    Be nice to your enemy is to be cruel to yourself. - Master Wang (Combat Shuai Chiao) from the EmptyFlower forums.

To locate, close with, and destroy the enemy by
    fire and maneuver, or repel the enemy's assault by fire and close combat. ~ Mission of the Marine Rifle Company

What is best in life? To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women!

dont they have gun laws in your country???

Gene,
    Glad to hear your OK. Ever since I had that battle Terri's stalker, I've kept the house well armed. Before she moved, she kept a sawed off in the bed room, allways loaded. I have several 2-3 foot lengths of 1-3/4 diamater scedual 80, sprayed with flat/satin black automotive trim paint in easy reach through out the house.

It's nice, and heavy. Gentile swings down low would effortlessly take out an attackers knees. I used to practice and number of simple swings, jabs and two handed strikes with it from all sorts of possible break in attacks. The flat/satin black color hides it, both in the home, and in motion in the dark. With the lights off, "I" can't really see it, even when I am the one weilding it.

Since I was VERY worried about him having a gun, I used to do ambush type drills, where I would attack with suprise. I have excellent night vision, I prefer to fight it out in the dark.

I also have a short Katanna (Whatever it's called) that is razor sharp in a decrotive, but strategic spot. This may be another choice as it is lighter, quicker to wield, and is so sharp it leaves heavy notches in 2 X 4 with almost no effort. Even if I used it just to block and jamb, the intruder is done for. If it does to the human leg, what it does to a 2X4, one slice, and the intruder is going down.

Another, more reacent, and maybe beter option, is pepper foam. we have several of those little canisters laying around the house as well. I think they wold be just as effective, and quite a bit more liability free than my other more cavemanish choices.
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

dont they have gun laws in your country???

Yes we do, too many of them, as a matter-of-fact. (Oh Lord - I can HEAR it coming).
    Be nice to your enemy is to be cruel to yourself. - Master Wang (Combat Shuai Chiao) from the EmptyFlower forums.

To locate, close with, and destroy the enemy by
    fire and maneuver, or repel the enemy's assault by fire and close combat. ~ Mission of the Marine Rifle Company

What is best in life? To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women!

Re: You'll have to share some of those Vietnamese swear words with us...

Originally posted by GeneChing
    On the toilet, eh? Talk about getting caught with your pants down!

So, I'm a little confused. You had someone repeated unscrew/steal light bulbs, prior to this?
    Well some of the Vietnamese swear words consist of (I was born and raised in Australia so my Vietnamese spelling and pronounciation is really bad) du ma (I think that roughly translates to f*ck your mother), con cac (cac is d*ck and con is son, I dunno what the two words together is suppose to mean) and thats all I really know and remember from the night.

Well we have this little security light in my backyard connected just outside my room. And I think you're confused because these aren't JUST light bulbs, they're security lights that turn on whenever someone is near.

Well about a few days before the actual attempted break in, my parents had came home and found the actual light unscrewed and just left there on the lawn. So my dad screwed it back in and tested if it still works. Second time around we found the light was missing from the socket (I think thats what you call it). So we just assumed they stole it as we couldn't find it anywhere else around the yard.

Best Advice Yet!

Get a dog.

Unless its personal (and thus, the perp will not care...), its impossible to get the drop on a house with a dog. Unless you have doggie treats...
    "If you and I agree all the time, then one of us is unnecessary."

It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument.
    - William G. McAdoo

Against stupidity, even the Gods contend in vain...

Home defense

Glad to hear your ok Gene, interesting story.

For home protection I have 2 main methods of defense.

-The first is my 130 pound Akita (japenese police and hunting dogs), just his mere size, deep voice, and "at attention" like posture will scare away even people that are guests and have been told he wont bite if your invited in.

-the second is my 9mm pistol, if the dog barks, you can bet there is a hollow point round chambered and ready for anyone who is attempting to enter the house.

My martial arts skill comes into play when I dont have the luxury of being home with my locked doors, huge dog, and gun.

regards,

Gary
    www.flowingcombat.com

My 50LB Shar pei might cute them to death.

nah, but he has a deep bark and any noise that isnt normal he barks at, I guess thats good and bad
    Arhat of Fury

"con cac" good one dodger87!

I wish I had checked in on this thread before dinner last night. I went out to dinner with a vietnamese student and it would have been a good one to drop on him.

We've been thinking about a dog, but a puppy. My kid wants a puppy. It'll be good for home defense in about four or five years.

I completely understand about the gun thing with a lot of you. I'm still not at the point that I'm going to buy one. Too much trouble. Actually, the swords are too much trouble. I was reassessing what I would lose if someone stole stuff in my home and there's really not much more than the swords. We have a really cheap TV and computer. I have a lot of Shaolin collectibles, but it's stuff that only Shaolin people would appreciate. The swords would be worth something, but that would be so hard to carry off. I had to give a talk on Chinese weapons at Stanford a few weeks back and it was such a bother having to transport all those weapons, and I have some good cases to carry them in. It would be really troublesome for a burglar, not to mention trying to explain running down the street with an armful of swords. Most of my weapons are of sentimental value - not very expensive. Of course, I'm not saying that it wouldn't be a major bum out to get robbed, of course, but I really don't have too much to steal anymore.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Our newest web article

Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart