Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Someone tried to break into my home last night

I don't think I could. I could fug the boy up pretty good, though. Peeps can't sue if they in a coma.
    BreakProof BackŪ Back Health & Athletic Performance
    https://sellfy.com/p/BoZg/

"Who dies first," he mumbled through smashed and bloody lips.

100% correcto MST - the 21 feels nothing like the old 1911 when you fire it, but I still like the 1911 and it's look - but if I HAD to choose one, I'd still go with the Glock.

If you get the chance, I think you'd be even more surprised by the Baby Glock .45 (Glock 30). All that firepower, excellent recoil, and STILL fits in a jacket pocket - simply unbelieveable....

NB -I have heard of many lawsuits where a perp was injured by the homeowner and sued them for being hurt. - True - I've heard of those cases too, fortunately the state I live in you don't have that problem...Prime example of this is when a perp tried to break into my friends house next door, he scared them away before he had a chance to use his firearm - the cop said: "Too bad you didn't get a chance to shoot him, we think it's the same guy doing all these burglaries in this neighborhood." LOL

So if someone breaks in to your home should you shoot to kill? - Uh yeah, he may have a weapon and may want to kill you.

Bottom line is if a total stranger is in your house and you are not aware of it then I'd guess he was there to do more than bring you cookies.
    Be nice to your enemy is to be cruel to yourself. - Master Wang (Combat Shuai Chiao) from the EmptyFlower forums.

To locate, close with, and destroy the enemy by
    fire and maneuver, or repel the enemy's assault by fire and close combat. ~ Mission of the Marine Rifle Company

What is best in life? To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women!

I have a friend who lives in Indiana and he recently invested in a 9mm handgun for home protection. His wife (after being trained in how to handle the handgun) asked him what she should do if there is an intruder. His answer - "Give him the whole clip. Tell the cops that he was moving to attack you and you feared for your life. A dead man can't tell his side of the story".
    cxxx[]:::::::::::>
    Behold, I see my father and mother.
    I see all my dead relatives seated.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.
    He calls me. Take me to him.

Joedoe - That's some of the best martial arts advice I've seen here in a LONG time
    Be nice to your enemy is to be cruel to yourself. - Master Wang (Combat Shuai Chiao) from the EmptyFlower forums.

To locate, close with, and destroy the enemy by
    fire and maneuver, or repel the enemy's assault by fire and close combat. ~ Mission of the Marine Rifle Company

What is best in life? To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women!

Re: Someone tried to break into my home last night

Originally posted by GeneChing
    I was watching the Simpsons, decompressing after practice, at around 10:30 last night. My wife and kid had gone to bed when I heard this banging in the kitchen. At the time, I thought my wife had got up to get a snack and was openning and closing the refrigerator door. In reality, it was someone trying to pry the screen off of our window. It's funny how your perceptions can mold a stimuli to fit into what your mind thinks should be happening. But it was too loud and incessant - my wife is really quiet and sneaks up on me all the time - so I got up to investigate. Again, my mind was thinking that maybe my wife was mad or something, and that's why she was slamming the refrigerator door, even though that would be so unlikely for her - more like something I would do. As soon as I got up, I knew something was wrong since the bedrooms were undisturbed. I turned on a light, and that alerted the perpetrator, who fled. I saw a shadow cross the window. I dashed back to my room, crossing paths with my wife in the hall, who asked what was going on. I told her to I thought someone was out there and to stay with our child. I got to my weapons rack.

Now as an aside, one of my shixiong, Robert Daniels, from a long time ago stopped a home intruder. I think Robert may be teaching in Seattle, so if anyone knows him, say 'hi' for me. Anyway, there had been a series of mid-day break-ins at his apartment complex. He was home in the afternoon and his room was right over the door. He heard a noise, looked out the window and saw someone working the door with a screwdriver. He ran to his weapons rack. Now, this is why I bring this up - he couldn't decide quickly. When he did decide, his chose a wushu broadsword, which probably wasn't the best choice, practically speaking. But he managed to be coming downstairs right when the guy got in the door. Imagine, you break into a house to see this big dude charging you with a broadsword. He turned tail and ran. Later, the cops commented after seeing the broadsword "too bad you didn't catch him".

For many years, I keep the equivalent of a pillow sword by my bedside. My wife always commented that it was a "guy thing." Perhaps it is. After Robert's experience, I had given it a lot of thought and figured that a bokken was the best home defense weapon for me. I specialized in sword for years, CMA, fencing and kendo, so a bokken is very versatile for me. For a long time, I kept a bokken by my bed, however, in the last few years, I lost the affectation.

So there I was at my weapons rack, with all this is flashing through my mind. It's dark, so I have to feel my way. Over years of neglect, my bokken is buried under a bunch of stuff - I couldn't find it anyway. So I grab my heavy dragon-head cane, the one I competed with for years; I even took it to China when I was on the US AAU national team. I also grab my 4-D maglite. I worked my way through college at a sleazy discount movie theater and we all got really proficient with maglites. Of course, by the time I've retreived all of this, the perpetrator is gone.

The cops were there in about five minutes. They said that they had a similar break-in in the neighborhood a few minutes earlier. They sent a CSI guy out to take prints. The would-be intruder had unscrewed the yard lights so they wouldn't turn on. Given the smudges left on my broken screen and the window, the CSI cop thought the intruder was wearing gloves.

It was all over in an hour. My wife and I moved our kid to our bed to sleep between us. We watched Letterman to unwind a bit. I finished off a bottle of Jack Daniels, then broke into a bottle of Talisker.

Now, the morning after, I'm still buzzing from the experience. This weekend will be devoted to installing some more motion detector lights outside and re-evaluating my home defense weapons. Martially speaking, it has my reflecting on my practice. I've let my weapons practice slide a bit in the last year or so - that needs to be remedied. Also, I've gained new respect for the kung fu uniform. When people ask me how to get to a local CMA tournament, I often reply, "look for a bunch of people in their pajamas". Standing in my yard with my cane, maglite and pajamas, I'm more appreciative of our practice garb.
    LOL at the pajama comment...Glad you and your family is safe Gene, and may karma drop something heavy on that *******

Hehe Living in what is now the #1 crime capital in the world, Dallas, I have, on a few occasions, got stuck deciding on the weapon of choice. Invariably I go for the steak knife. Broadsword is good but I am afraid of them getting within the swing radius if it ever came down to it. Then its just as dangerous to me. Gene, get yourself a nice shotgun and practice with it. Threat factor is high and makes people head for the hills. Plus, you dont need to be accurate... just make sure your loved ones are on one side of you, and the bad guy on the other.
    "If you and I agree all the time, then one of us is unnecessary."

It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument.
    - William G. McAdoo

Against stupidity, even the Gods contend in vain...

BTW Northernboxer, as much as you prolly want to kill them... it is said, "A dead body speaks louder than a live person". Alot of peeps are prone to feel pity for a dead guy and take his side, as opposed to the living, breathing crackhead trash he really is. Aim low, maybe a nice nut shot for the sake of Darwinism and let it be.
    "If you and I agree all the time, then one of us is unnecessary."

It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument.
    - William G. McAdoo

Against stupidity, even the Gods contend in vain...

I've got a Kali stick by the bed.
    "The man who stands for nothing is likely to fall for anything"
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk

There's six dogs in my house. No-one sneaks in.
    All my fight strategy is based on deliberately injuring my opponents. -
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

First you get good, then you get fast, then you get good and fast.

YYD - The Baby Glock was on the list. Amazing fun - practiced drawing from the jacket. A riot...my buddy is the gun-fu master, he had me doing crazy drills that made sense, really. Both Glocks did well for me. After such a long lay-off, I was lucky to place anything much less group shots. Something about those Glocks made it easy.
    "Never interrupt your enemy when they are making a mistake."
    --- Napoleon

"MonkeySlap is a brutal b@stard." -- SevenStar
    "Forgive them Lord, they know not what MS2 can do." -- MasterKiller
    "You're not gonna win a debate (or a fight) with MST. Resistance is futile." - Seven Star

gasher -- i'm glad you brought it up. if you're going for non-projectile weapons, i think the filipinos have it best, as a basic kali/escrima rattan is much easier to manage in tight spaces like a hallway or bedroom. that, and since it's so light, it can be wielded quickly while still ****ing up anything it hits.
    " i wonder how many people take their post bone marrow transplant antibiotics with amberbock" -- GDA

Yeah, that's kind of the idea. I think with a dao I'd keep taking chunks out of the walls. Also of course, the stick offers you more control. With it you can kill, but you can also restrain and disarm.
    "The man who stands for nothing is likely to fall for anything"
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk

Dogs are man's best friend. A nice, big, well-trained German Shepard is great companionship and will totally disregard it's own safety to protect it's "pack" (you and your loved ones). You treat 'em right and they'll be there for you.

Also, I've seen people yelling, talking smack & throwing stones at cops armed with guns but who will run like you've never seen when faced with a snarling dog.

The problem with guns is that you just might regret using them:

Ex-Springbok charged with murder

I finished off a bottle of Jack Daniels, then broke into a bottle of Talisker.

Now, the morning after, I'm still buzzing from the experience.
    he neglected the Buzz part of the story in the office . . . Hmmmm

I've got 2 BIG BLACK dogs that are generally very friendly but each have a bark that works better than any car alarm...