Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Someone tried to break into my home last night

I could offer hundreds of stories where using or just having a firearm saved lives. Statistically speaking, the chances of an innocent being shot is lower than the percentage drowning in swimming pools, or choking to death on food. I think someone already mentioned the fear criminals have of firearms in the hands of their intended victims.

Gene, I'm very glad you and your family are ok. The police responded in 5 minutes!
    I've NEVER had an officer respond in under 45 minutes...which is why those of us not in the city are (in the main) pro-gun types I guess.
    Keep it simple, stupid.

Thanks for all the good wishes, everyone!

Now, two days after the episode, it all seems pretty surreal. Of course, I'm grateful that everything is safe and sound, but I always try to be grateful for that. The break-in attempt was a wake-up call for gratitude, so in a weird zen way, I'm grateful that the would-be burglar served as my alarm clock. It's given me a lot to reflect on over the last couple of days, and will certainly give me more grist for the mill in days to come.

Some odd reflections - my wife had some funny premonitions (she does that a lot, it's a bit disturbing, but more irritating that she can't have premonitions about the stock market ). The break-in was attempted in what was once a Yoga room where my wife held classes, so it has a door to shut off the rest of the house. For some odd reason, my wife closed that door just prior to the incident. She also brought up the subject of swapping our kid's room with her study, putting our kid's room in the center of the house, the safest of rooms. Also, the day before, she was cleaning the windows, and was trying to remove one of the screens - we couldn't figure out how to do it quickly, so we gave up. We installed new double-pane windows last year, for insulation and sound reduction (since we live one house down from the freeway soundwall). Well, now I know how to get those screens off. What's more, if that perpetrator had chosen another window, it would have been open.

I think both my wife and I are trippin' harder on our mutual misperception of what was happening at the moment. We both heard warning sounds and our minds transformed them into what would have been normal. We both got up - not to ward off the burglar - but to find out why the other was slamming the refridgerator door. Refridgerator doors have a distinct sound, nothing like prying off a screen window. And neither of us would slam the fridge door repeatedly when our child was sleeping. In retrospect, the entire episode wasn't as scary as it was just plain disturbing.

A lot of you have commented on guns. I totally respect the right of Americans to bear guns, and even went through a gun phase when I was in college. A lot of my friends were into guns and we went out to the range often. I hung out with a few cops back then. I also used to work gun shows, selling swords. But I've never owned a gun and I don't plan to invest in one now. That's just my personal choice, and the more I think about it, it's based on my own personal quirkiness. I have a lot of swords and such. Even if you don't know me personally, I'm sure you can imagine why I have so many. In fact, I got into martial arts because I like swords. In a weird way, and to be perfactly honest with all of you, I relish the opportunity to grab something out of my weapons rack and use it for real. Of course, protecting my family is important, and if the perp had a gun, well, that would suck. But I'm pretty confident with a short weapon. Hell, I've been practicing with them for years. Even if the perp had a club, I feel I would have the advantage, and that wouldn't just be 'home court'. Besides, I think my swords would be jealous if I got a gun. And I'm a crappy shot.

FWIW, I do have chemical mace somewhere in the house, which I had to use once years ago. It's probably expired now.

What I find really interesting about how this thread is developing is how many of you prefer boken. That would have been my choice too, but now I'm starting to rethink my choice of 'pillow sword'. I'm starting to lean towards something more rapier-like for my right hand. And I'm sticking with my maglite for my left (although now I'm thinking I'll invest in one of the longer C-cell models). I think I'd be far more accurate with a pointy sharp in my right and more punishing with a blunt rod in my left - that would give me the most confidence, were this to happen again. But I'm still reflecting on it.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Thumbs up

Gene-

Glad to hear everything worked out and your outlook is still positive

Last summer I saw a knife fight right in front of my house. I was litterally 30 feet away. There was lots of blood all over the curb of the street and an ambulance and police came and everything. However, no one got hurt w/ a knife it was disarmed early on in the fight.

It also kind of opened my eyes to the fact that anyone could be carrying a weapon. I live in the city. I also do not like to have guns in my house. My firearms are at my parents house for now. I still walk everywhere in the city for exercise and to save money on gas. I just know after watching that knife fight, and having a knife pulled on me before I just avoid certain situations.

Avoiding the situation has been my best deterent system ever. If I feel something is shady or not safe I avoid it. Sometimes you can't avoid certain things, but I think it has definately kept me out of a lot of bad situations.
    Last edited by Gangsterfist; 05-26-2004 at 11:43 AM.
    http://www.wingchunusa.com

Sao gerk seung siu, mo jit jiu - Hands and feet defend accordingly, there are no secret or unstoppable maneuvers.
    -Yip Man

Mag Lights are overrated - I busted one on a perp when I was doing construction site security (between jobs as a kid). They just can't handle the impact.
    "Never interrupt your enemy when they are making a mistake."
    --- Napoleon

"MonkeySlap is a brutal b@stard." -- SevenStar
    "Forgive them Lord, they know not what MS2 can do." -- MasterKiller
    "You're not gonna win a debate (or a fight) with MST. Resistance is futile." - Seven Star

gotta stay positive!

Yeah, avoidence is definately the way, but when someone breaks into your house, what can you do? There's that certain element of violation, for sure. I think living in the city previously has made both me and my wife less prone to paranoia here. When I was in the city, I had to deal with some sort of confrontation or break-in (to my car) about once every three months.

As for maglites, well, I like the fact that it's a light. In my recent scenario, light was really needed. It was night and my yard is big and dark. I used them in security too, back in my college days. Never had to bust a perp with one. You'll have to tell us more about that, MST. I did have to clip someone's wrists to get them off me once, and it worked fine for that.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Ah, it was a shining example of awareness skills. I ended up doing a triple shift at an unfinished contstruction site. I hadn't received my permit to carry, so all I had was my trusty mag lite.

While scoping out the 13th floor, I stepped on the guys hand as he hid behind the steel boxes that held the tools. These were popular to break into or steal...I suppose I should have noticed the guy before I stepped on his hand, and who knows why he didn't move before I did that...but there you go.

Company policy was for me to run and hide and call for help...or help them load the truck and make a report later.

Instead city-boy instinct kicked in and when the guy lunged he ate mag lite. I had him hog tied with bungie cords when the cops came. Just remember when you swing, it's the travel of the tip that matters...

Then I got fired.

As far as i was concerned, I was in danger. But policy is policy I guess.

Nothing heroic or cool. I was just lucky there weren't more of them, or they didn't jump me. A dumb falure of awareness brought on by fatigue. Tiredness builds samsara, eh?
    "Never interrupt your enemy when they are making a mistake."
    --- Napoleon

"MonkeySlap is a brutal b@stard." -- SevenStar
    "Forgive them Lord, they know not what MS2 can do." -- MasterKiller
    "You're not gonna win a debate (or a fight) with MST. Resistance is futile." - Seven Star

Stacey Guest
    Do you think he's trained by shaolin monks? Mabye ninja thieves are after you for not publishing their crappy articles.

just a thought. Glad your safe. I checked up on you last night. You were sleeping peacefully, I was glad to see you were ok. I'll keep a lookout from a distance to make sure that no ninjas are sneaking around your property. If I see them I'll phone you or throw ninja stars into their evil ninja heads.

If you want my friend and I can guard your house. He'll wear a bright red ninja suit and I wear a bright orange one. We'll pace back and forth to fend off intruders.

Or maybe it the guys from NinjaBurger.com! I heard Gene gave out the recipe to the secret sauce!
    CPA's current P4P List:
    -Bas Rutten
    -Captain Jack Sparrow
    -Cindy Lauper
    -Lester Moonvest

Dunno. If my gun wasn't handy, I wouldn't go searching the guy out with a wooden sword... I'd have the old lady call the cops while I waited to ambush him.

lol @ getting shot while holding a toy sword.

Nice try hero.

Life's rough on the mean streets of Fremont

Originally posted by Judge Pen
    In Tennessee (and I would assume most southern states) when someone is advancing into your home then there's a presumption that one has a reasonable beleif that their life or the life of their family is in jeopardy which could justify the use of deadly force in your home. However, that presumption can be rebutted by the circumstances: i.e. you shoot him in the back as he is fleeing your property etc.
    Late comment: A guy here in Colorado got away with killing his neibor by saying he was trying to break into his house. Dead guy came over all irate 'cause his niebor was shooting at his dog with a BB gun. @sshole neibor dicided to pull out a bigger gun and blew him away. The one who got shot never even lifted his hand to touch the door, but there was nothing the cops could do. All @sshole had to do was say he thought his niebor was trying to break in, and his girlfriend backed him up.

Leave the burgalar alone if he/she ain't inside. Just scare them off. You never know what corny law they will use against you for defending you home and/or loved ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

We both heard warning sounds and our minds transformed them into what would have been normal.
    That's real common Gene. Most people "go and see that everything is alright", instead of checking for what's wrong. For homework go and read The Gift of Fear 3 times and write an essay on it by Monday. If possible I don't use a flash light when checking the house, screws up my night vision, creates shadows, causes me to focus too much and lets the perp know where I am.

For weapons I keep various knives and short sticks hidden around. Going to get a new gun this summer.
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

Guns

Lat night I told Master Tony Chen, who I'm currently training under, this story and he said "I'd shoot 'em with my gun" with a smile. I know my previous master, Wing Lam, would probably reply the same. He had a lot of guns. I find that amusing. I'm just not into guns, at least, not enough to want to own one. Given the Monday night scenario, even if I had a gun, it wouldn't have made a difference. By the time I got there with my cane, the perp was gone. And it was much faster for me to draw my cane then it would have been if I had a gun. If I had a gun, it would have been locked up, since I have a kid.

Again, as I reflect on what happened, I'm struck by the strange altered state my mind was in at the time. I'm going to describe it as "terminator vision", like Arnie's eye view in Terminator. As soon as I realized there was a burglar, my perception of my home changed from, well, my home, to tactical field of blind spots. I remember approaching every corner differently, gauging the possible range of attack. I was weird, because just like terminator vision, even my memory of how things looked was different - sort of black and white. I think that's one reason why I had to drink so much whiskey after, just to turn the terminator vision off.

My kid has transformed the concept of 'burglar' to 'goblin'. She told me that next time a goblin comes, I should just ask it to go away. Somehow, that seeems strangely reasonable to me now (but I'll still have something punative in my right hand and my maglite in my left ).
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Gene, Glad your OK.
    With all the home invasions out here I have multiple weapons stashed in every room. From shuriken and throwing knives to swords and wip chains. Being a new dad, cant be too careful.

BTW- Is Koffey still teaching the KB class?

Arhat
    Arhat of Fury

I'd rather have a gun and not need one than need a gun and not have one.