Thread: Greetings from Charlotte, NC.....

Greetings from Charlotte, NC.....

doing a lil bit of a vaction..... haven't found anything in the way of people to beat up on.... but the Y downtown is OFF DA HOOK....
    "pain is not my enemy; it is my call to greatness. " - Henry Rollins

Baltimore San Shou

WWW.NLPF.NET

“The only undefeated fighters are those who do not compete.” – Coach Sonnon, MMA.tv

Oso be down that way.
    Hey Oso, help this foo out. :-D

In the meantime, all I have to say is.....

This one's for North Carolina! C'mon and raise up
    Take your shirt off, and twist is 'round yo head
    Spin it like a helicopter
    South Carolina! C'mon and raise up
    This one's for you, uh-uh
    This one's for who? Us, us, us! it's uhh..
    Ooh, Hot Atlanta! C'mon and raise up
    Stand up Virginia! C'mon and raise up
    This one's for who? Us, us, us!

[Petey Pablo]
    Who am I? Petey Pab mother****er
    I'm The First puttin' it down for North Carolina
    But guess what? (what) it's been worth it
    I'm a superstar, bought me a big ol' car
    Four point Six (see the car?)
    Black fifty four, from the front to the back
    Got a button in the middle that makes a trunk go, eh eh
    But it ain't bout that, it's about gettin' what you get and drivin all back here
    Big Fellas (six fellas)
    Half of me, and Carolina niggaz dont have enough time together
    Polk, Bladen, Marshall, Hoke, Green County, Timbaland (****!)
    Transfer, Sandy Ridge, browns over here (greens over here)
    Pasqoutank, down on the Odom East (let me think)
    Johnson County, Franklin, Burgaw, Newport, Warren, Shelby, Kenansville
    Man Catantwa Tarboro, Triangle, Goldsboro, Halifax, Statesville
    And all my niggaz doin' life behind the walls
    This right here, right here, right here, this one's for

[Chorus 2]
    New York City! C'mon and raise up
    Ah, Jersey To Philly! C'mon and raise up
    Ay, D.C. To Maryland! C'mon and raise up
    Houston to Dallas! C'mon and raise up

[Petey Pablo]
    Beat it, Beat it
    You remember them days y'all, we use to play y'all
    The radio and put our own lil part in the song y'all
    We use to (rep our city! rep our city!)
    Runnin' through the school halls
    Just before our basketball pep rally jumped off
    My house, my home, my hood
    My brother my sister my cous
    My nigga that was there from the beginning
    Been wit me, even before I even been wit the world
    Y'all niggaz just glanced at it, then we got y'all starin at it
    But it's been the same old North Carolina that's been there
    Y'all niggaz is gettin it, oh it's a shame isn't it?
    Oh you thought we said we were comin' with a whole lot of songs
    We were bullshh!

[Chorus 3]
    New Orleans! C'mon and raise up
    Ah St. Louis! C'mon and raise up
    Man, M-I-A! C'mon and raise up
    All the way to L.A.! C'mon and raise up

[Petey Pablo]
    Man I had to do it
    Just incase you were one of the ones that wanted to come and ask somethin' stupid!
    (Whatchu think you doin') What it look like? Puttin it down for my niggaz on the south side
    North Carolina, South Carolina, and all my little bitty, hooks and cape towns
    We gon' hit y'all ass, it's nothin' but a T.D. blast, that we got comin' at ya
    (Beat) slammin', (first) classic, go for this, what's after platinum?
    (Baby you'll walk the ball) and I don't mean to scare y'all but I'ma bout to bring it home
    Blow these fellas, these hills, these things and N.C. out the water
    How's it feel to lose a mother****er that's real
    Tell 'em (I TOLD EM!)

[Chorus 4]
    This one's for Chi-Town Playas! C'mon and raise up
    sp
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

Someone has WAY too much time on their hands....

SunTzu...

I have TWO potential opponents lined up for you on June 10th. Both weight 160lbs. One has 2 fights, the other either 2 or 3 fights. I need to talk to you early next week to confirm if you will be able to make it and participate!

(I'm heading out of town for the holiday, so I'll need to touch base with you either tomorrow during the day via email, or early next week)

Brooks

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    suntzu, how long are you going to be in charlotte?

I am unfortunately leaving to go to Nashville to train this weekend but will be back late sunday w/ no real plans for monday.

The only place I've gone to down there to train was Scott Sheilds BJJ/Kali school.

http://www.scottshieldsma.com/

there was a $10 fee to visit his bjj class but I don't know if they have free mat time or open sparring.

i'll pm you w/ my cel #

give me a shout if you are still going to be around Monday.

So, is the June event going to be worth going to?

I went to the CACMA sponsered event in March and was really disappointed in the turn out and haven't planned on attending.

KKC are you bringing any heavys?

You guys know that there can't be a Lei Tai Tourney in NC don't you? In March they matched us up by wieght and we only had one bout though all of us were willing to run a bracket.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

You guys know that there can't be a Lei Tai Tourney in NC don't you? In March they matched us up by wieght and we only had one bout though all of us were willing to run a bracket.
    OK thanks for clearing that up...I remember you saying something about this after you fought and I have been telling eerybody at my school that wants to go down there that it won't be a tourney but they insist that it is...
    I probably will not come I'm training for the one in maryland in July and I'm feeling pretty good now so I don't want to take any risks before that one since it is the most important tourney for me...

Sun Tzu I didn't know you were going out of town...sounds like fun...
    Veni Vidi Vici

just in case i'm wrong, email this sifu to get the final word

but at the march tourney there was a minor debate about it and his final word was based on NC Boxing Commision rules for full contact bouts which state that 16oz gloves must be worn for any full contact fight. he said that he was skating by the rules a bit by offering the demo situation but so far, no one has told him to stop.

Sifu Anthony Stephenson
    Sil Lum Mountain Kung Fu
    Kings Mountain, NC
    Member Kong Hoi Kung Fu Association USA
    Member Lai Tung Pai Kung Fu Association USA
    President, Carolinas Association of Chinese Martial Arts
    www.mhkungfu.com/SilLumMt/sillummt.html
    www.mhkungfu.com/CACMA/cacma.html

*edit*

here's the flyer from the web page. note 'lei tai demonstration'

on another note, I was looking to buy one of those dang sight impeding headgear and saw in the AWMA catalog that they now offer the same headgear w/ a clear lexan type face guard instead of the grille type. Do you guys know if this new type is approved for use in Lei Tai?

http://www.awma.com/index.cfm/action...ct_id/9598.htm

it seems to be the same headgear w/ just a different face guard.

seems like it would offer better visibility
    Last edited by Oso; 05-28-2004 at 10:04 AM.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

on another note, I was looking to buy one of those dang sight impeding headgear and saw in the AWMA catalog that they now offer the same headgear w/ a clear lexan type face guard instead of the grille type. Do you guys know if this new type is approved for use in Lei Tai?
    Not sure...I saw the new mask that my teacher wants to use for the kuoshu tourney this year in hunt valley maryland...I didn't really like it it was huge! visisbility was slightly worse b/c you had these things jutting out to cover your cheeks but the thing was just so freakin big...and it still had the black bars, not the clear plastic...but I don't know what they would say to a clear face shield...my guess is it wouldn't be allowed b.c I have never seen anyone try it before in four years...then again maybe that headgear with the clear shield is new...
    Veni Vidi Vici

I went to the CACMA sponsered event in March and was really disappointed in the turn out and haven't planned on attending.
    The turn out might not have been great...but I respect what those guys are doing...Rome wasn't built in a day...everyone else in that org. is happy to let there be 1 or 2 kuoshu tourneys a year...I for one would like to see the lei tai fighting style grow but everyone in the org. sits around talking about how great said org. is...I'm going to talk to some of my students and see if they want to go down to NC to compete...I probably won't fight, but I will come down there to coach...
    Veni Vidi Vici

i feel like they are trying to do a good thing as well. wasn't trying to criticise their efforts.

but, with 8 or 9 schools in their organization alone, I would have expected more than 40 or so competitors total. Adult mens empty hand only had 6 competitors and one of those was a woman who had no one else in her division at all. Adult men's was the largest division not counting the tai chi.

I brought 4 people and every one of them had to compete in the next higher division to say they competed at all. A good experience all in all as they got to see how well they fared against peoples w/ twice as much experience.

maybe I am criticising after all...but when there were teachers from the member schools there w/ only 1 or 2 competitors I have to question the enthusiasm for what they are doing. It was just a bit of a disappointment.

I'm going to have to see where things seem to be going before I go back. I'd rather make a bigger trip and be sure of a good turnout and thus good competition for my students.

sorry for the rant...

maybe I am criticising after all...but when there were teachers from the member schools there w/ only 1 or 2 competitors I have to question the enthusiasm for what they are doing. It was just a bit of a disappointment.
    Good point...I'm debating whether or not we should make the trip down to NC...I guess I'll talk to my students about it...on second thought I might even fight if I can...I'd like to support the org. but like you said maybe they aren't trying too hard...
    Veni Vidi Vici

me too. my first thought was "great, the south, w/ the exception of Fla, needs some organization of it's few kung fu schools"

I have a commitment this weekend and the 4th of july weekend. I told Sifu Anthony that I didn't think I could make an event between those two for simple economic reasons (read: I'm broke)

we'll see, please let me know by pm or email if the buzz starts to say that there will be a good turn out and I'll try to make it down.

WOW 160...... hmmmm...... well i have been eating like a mad man........ i'm outta here monday morning.... the Y is cool enough.... thanks for the heads up tho Oso.... shoulda asked b4 i came down........ BMB knows just the right songs
    "pain is not my enemy; it is my call to greatness. " - Henry Rollins

Baltimore San Shou

WWW.NLPF.NET

“The only undefeated fighters are those who do not compete.” – Coach Sonnon, MMA.tv

Originally posted by Oso
    l...but when there were teachers from the member schools there w/ only 1 or 2 competitors I have to question the enthusiasm for what they are doing. It was just a bit of a disappointment.

I'm going to have to see where things seem to be going before I go back. I'd rather make a bigger trip and be sure of a good turnout and thus good competition for my students.

sorry for the rant...
    Heh, some of those teachers only have 3-4 students. Trust me, the enthusiasm is there, at least on the instructors side of it. Those guys really focus on their students and are trying to do a good thing. Its because of slackers like me, some schools didnt have as many representing them.

Ray
    Last edited by Rayfield; 06-21-2004 at 08:30 PM.

What was the turnout in Charlotte like on the 12th?