Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ain't that just cute!

Angry Ain't that just cute!

One of my co-workers set me up on a blind date with one of his buddies who was into martial arts and had complained about not being able to find women who understood his love of them and were also into that sort of thing. Come to find out, his problem wasn't that he couldn't find one. He didn't actually want to find one.

The whole time (thankfully only lunch) he told me how cute I was for trying to be like him. But I was going to get bruised up if I didn't stop playing at this whole "fighting thing".

I had no idea that after almost 10 years of study, several joint dislocations, a broken ankle and gosh-only-knows how many broken noses that I was just playing.

Have any of you gone out with a person (what ever gender) who seemed into your hobby only to put you down for it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

Wooiee...

Yeah, this sounds like a guy thing, Becca. It's common but not universal. There *are guys who love women who love martial arts. I've lived with my kung fu babe for 27 years now, and we have a kung fu daughter and ...well, no, my cat doesn't train very diligently.

I dunno. Sounds like he's afraid of strong women - many guys can't feel strong unless they compare themselves to someone who is clearly weak. <shrug> I can only guess why he *said that he was interested in them.

Someone once said that "machismo" was Latin for insecurity. Heh.

Freehand
    The lyfe so short, the craft so long to lerne.
    - Chaucer

The more I think about it the more I'm conviced he's looking for a bimbo to hang on him like the little blond girl did to Ralph Maccio in "Karate Kid". She knew the rules or the "sport", wasn't afried to stand by the ring while he faught and yet was completely ussless.
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

My gal & I have explained to our daughter that any guy who dates her (more than once) will be pretty strong. Not necessarily physically; he may not train in the arts or even work out much, but he'll be secure enuf that he won't care if she can kick his butt.

Kermit
    The lyfe so short, the craft so long to lerne.
    - Chaucer

He probably just trying to ****y/funny.

That is one tactic to get women.

but why is this in street/reality fighting?
    A"recovered" crack addict. "That came from being one of the Reagan-era kids when I was in middle school as part of that whole Just Say No thing. They would have people who were recovering addicts come to talk to us at school. One guy in particular came to talk to us about drugs. But it didn't sound like he thought they were that bad. He sounded more like a commercial for drugs than a warning."
    -Dave Chappelle on Tyrone Biggums

"A good male hostage negotiator can talk the pants off a nun. And a good female negotiator could be caught in bed with another man by her husband and the next moment would be standing up, putting her clothes on, acting like it was a big joke, convincing the husband that nothing happened. And after a while, maybe he wouldn't believe it, he's not stupid, but it would put some doubts in his head..."
    -CPD hostage negotiator

I put this here after realizing I was not going to get an answer to the last line in my post at the general forrum, and figured I might in this one. I'll try to rephrase my question better.

My question: Have any of you gone out with someone who seemed interested in you, but constantly berated you for being covered with bruises and/or having other misc. small injuries? Object to you sometimes smelling like jow?

Originally posted by Becca
    I put this here after realizing I was not going to get an answer to the last line in my post at the general forrum, and figured I might in this one. I'll try to rephrase my question better.

My question: Have any of you gone out with someone who seemed interested in you, but constantly berated you for being covered with bruises and/or having other misc. small injuries? Object to you sometimes smelling like jow?
    No...I don't really use Jow.
    Smell too much like syrup. And I heard it could be cancerious.

Now answer my question.

The reason why this is in Street/Reality fighting?
    A"recovered" crack addict. "That came from being one of the Reagan-era kids when I was in middle school as part of that whole Just Say No thing. They would have people who were recovering addicts come to talk to us at school. One guy in particular came to talk to us about drugs. But it didn't sound like he thought they were that bad. He sounded more like a commercial for drugs than a warning."

"A good male hostage negotiator can talk the pants off a nun. And a good female negotiator could be caught in bed with another man by her husband and the next moment would be standing up, putting her clothes on, acting like it was a big joke, convincing the husband that nothing happened. And after a while, maybe he wouldn't believe it, he's not stupid, but it would put some doubts in his head..."
    -CPD hostage negotiator

In the past I've had girls (note, not women) who were attracted to me and though it was "cool" that I surfed but gave me a hard time when I was surfing instead of going to the mall or showing up a little late for functiones because the waves were good.

They had a hard time understanding that good waves don't happen all the time, you need swell and favorable winds and tide, ect.

My current girlfriend is a bit of a couch potatoe and I now live at the beach, so she'll take a nap while I surf and so far so good.

As for Kung Fu, most of the girls in my life think it's cool, don't really understand why I would want to go into a ring and fight someone and hate my kung fu movie collection.

What can ya do?

Umm, I can't even get a decent date, let alone someone who is in the martial arts.

I think it would be great to share something like martial arts with my girlfriend, but it has never happened. the only girls I have known to train martial arts are already married, or already have a boy friend that got them into it. Well, I take that back. I did meet a cute TKD girl once, but well we were just way to different for me to even try to take her out.

I think its just a personal thing. Some people get big heads and don't stay humble when they train martial arts. I try to keep humble in my training and when I do something right, I try not to dwell on it too much.

Too bad I don't live in denver anymore becca, I'd take you out ha ha ha ha, but only if we could spar at the end of our date, bare knuckles

I will say that most girls I have dated also hated my kung fu movie collection, and only acted interested to make me happy. Which in return once I find that out kind of irritates me. Just tell me you don't like it - geez

Basically dating is stupid and only cool once you get past all the BS, and decide you can get along with this person, even on your bad days. But perhaps thats why I am also always single heh
    http://www.wingchunusa.com

Sao gerk seung siu, mo jit jiu - Hands and feet defend accordingly, there are no secret or unstoppable maneuvers.
    -Yip Man

So sad.

The guy doesn't even know what he's missing.

Kung fu girls get my instant respect if they are good, because sadly it seems like sincerely dedicated women are in such short supply nowadays.

Originally posted by Gangsterfist
    Umm, I can't even get a decent date, let alone someone who is in the martial arts.
    Same here...

I still try to use my Gung fu to pick up chicks...but it never works. I should really be sticking to the "seldom used, rarely shown" saying but I just love the ladies!
    hahahahahahahaha

Alot of them just make jokes about it.

-CPD hostage negotiator

I generally don't tell people I train when they comment on my bumps and bruises. I just say I bruise easily, which is true.

My forearms usually have bruises on them from training. Old ladies look at me with that "is everything ok at home, honey?" look.

But I've never had a guy be overtly condescending about my training. I've had them make a joke about "well I guess I know not to make YOU mad", or just kind of raise thier eyebrows and go "really? fighting?." Most of them seem to think it's cool, but again, I don't offer a lot of info unless someone specifically asks.

It can be intimidating for some men who train to date a woman who has more MA experience/ability than he does, maybe that was his problem.

I tell ya, Becca, If a guy did that to me on a date, I'd get right up, pay for my meal, say thanks and leave.

Here's on for the ladies: Do you think you have the ability to really take the men you have dated if it ever came to that?

Depending on the situation, yes. I have actually had an ex-boyfriend try that. Usually the kind of person to do that sort of thing is a bully who isn't expecting any real resistance, IMO. The first sign that you aren't a push-over they back off and try to make it out that you attacked them. Of course, cops generally know the difference between a slap mark and a blocking mark.

I have not been in a real fight, well one that I started, in a long time. If I ever saw some guy come after any one of my female friends I would beat the holy **** out of them in a heart beat. I have had to bail a few of my female friends outta bad situations with their ex or w/ some drunkard at a bar who just won't stop harassing them.

Yeah, guys are idiots what can I say.

Women are by no means perfect though, but generally when it comes to violence better than men. However, all the girl fights I have seen are pretty viscious, so when you women do fight you get it on.
    http://www.wingchunusa.com

Sao gerk seung siu, mo jit jiu - Hands and feet defend accordingly, there are no secret or unstoppable maneuvers.
    -Yip Man