Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why Wing Chun?

That brought back images of John Ritter (In three's company!) when he was participating in a all women cardio class!... Chrissy was something in those days!
    (Only guys my age can remember that!)

Back to topic.....

Why the h*ll the Karate class before I teach is full of women and I have only a few in my Wing Chun class?... Is it the "Tae Bo" factor?... Sometimes ,I think getting a nice bu*t is more important than learning something valuable for a majority of women.
    Maybe because it is their major weapon against us guys!...

Originally posted by Phenix

IE: Yee Chuan never believe in Grapping. WXZ prove again and again even toward the Olympic Judoka. They cannot grap him. He bounce them away at the point of touching WXZ.
    He died in 1963. Judo wasn't an Olympic sport until 1964.

LOL.

American judoka Mark Tripp tells a story about working out with Chen Man-Ching on a visit to Taiwan. Chen was boosted big time by Robert W Smith, among others, as having almost superhuman powers.

Tripp worked out with Chen and uprooted him fairly drastically. On looking around, it appeared that Chen's obvious failure hadn't even REGISTERED with the large audience, caught in their own cognitive dissonance and hero worship.

Dare I say that at least SOME of the accounts of past KF warriors may be heavily embellished? Perhaps that is why such feats do not continue into the age of video and a more informed and critical audience?

Did everyone see that clip on bullshido of the fatboy "Dim Mak master" and Dillman protege, who could supposedly knock his own students unconscious with and without touching them, but could not duplicate the feats with either the female anchor or even ONE student in a neighbouring Brazilian Jiu Jitsu school?

Check it out, it would be funny if it weren't so tragic.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

many questions about the "all roundness" of wck,but that
    bong sao is amazing and i used it after being shown it only
    once.and the mighty Fung Siu Ching.[script still available,folks].

r

Originally posted by Edmund

And the record from Yee Chuan recorded:

1940, 6th Dan Judoka , 八田一_? who had represented Japan to participate in the 11th Olympic international wrestling competition in 1936; He challenged WXZ . He graps WXZ's wrist to attack. however, at the instant of contact, he was shocked elivated over ground and bounce toward the wall behind him, then fall to the ground.

Someone wants to check the record of Japanese 1936 olympic paticipant to verify this account? It will be great to find out if WXZ's people lying.
    Last edited by Phenix; 06-02-2004 at 09:56 AM.

Originally posted by PaulH
    Could you provide some WCK kuits or whatever past evidences that further support this view?
    Regards,
    PH

There are plenty of WCK Kiuts being post in this forum before. you can check into them.

and since you are from GM YM's line.
    You can check with GM TST to see how his capability even at his old age support the WCK view.

With regards to the Judo fighter and Wang!

To spread the newly- emerging routine far and wide, Wang recruited a large number of youngsters and gave them lessons personally. His aim was very clear and that was to help boost the morale of the Chinese people and counter foreign pugilism. He issued a statement in a local newspaper and declared that he was ready to take on any rivals including those coming from foreign countries. Wang's remark angered Kenichi Sawai, a Japanese martial artist then living in Beijing. Sawai was good at karate, swordplay and judo. In his eyes, Chinese wushu was only something like gymnastics, having little value in actual fights. So, one day, he went to call at Wang's in the hope of showing off his prowess. When he saw Wang Xiangzhai, he found that the Chinese shadow boxer, a man of middle stature clad in long gown, looked very gentle and suave. He was very happy to meet with such a weakling, thinking that he would win without fail. After introducing himself and explaining why he had come, he produced a newspaper which carried Wang's statement and tossed it on a table. "You are ready to have a dual fight, aren't you?" asked the Japanese karate practitioner, his face wreathed in contemptuous smiles. "Yes, I am," retorted sneeringly my instructor. "I always mean what I have said. I would never refuse anyone who wants to compete with me. Foreign martial artists are especially welcome." Hearing that, Sawai went out of the drawing room and stood in the courtyard waiting for a duel. Without any hesitation, Wang came out with hands placed behind his back. Directing his strength to both hands through concentration, Sawai assumed a horse-riding stance and launched a sudden attack on Wang's face with hands. Seeing this, my instructor, his left hand remaining still, extended his right forearm to parry Sawai's hands. Then, with a slight exertion of strength, Wang threw the Japanese muscle man 10 feet away. Before realizing what had happened, Sawai was already Lying on the ground on his back. Not admitting defeat, Sawai wanted to have a swordplay contest with Wang because he was so skilled at it that he could cut an apple on the head of a man into two without hurting the head. Considering that Sawai should get an idea of what Chinese swordplay was, Wang agreed to have another contest. With a sword held overhead in his hands, Sawai delivered a hard blow at Wang's head. Wang stepped a bit to the right and wielded his sword to block the opposing sword. As the two swords clanked, Sawai was also thrown several feet away and flattened with his palms benumbed. (According to the son of Sawai, they did not fight with swords but with sticks.) Irreconciled, Sawai rose to his feet and pounced upon Wang with his sword towards the throat. This skill is very famous in Japanese swordplay, with which one can catch his rival off guard. However, Wang was so good at Chinese swordplay that it seemed as if he did not make use of eyes but sense only in a fight. Wang turned his body to the right slightly, leaving Sawai's attack wide of the mark. In another instant, Wang pressed his sword against his opponent's. Sawai tried hard to draw his sword back, only to no avail, since it was "pasted" fast to Wang's at the guard of the hilt. When Wang mustered up his strength, Sawai was flung out and slammed against a nearby door which caved in as a result. Later on, Sawai engaged Wang in a qinna-something like judo- contest. By then, he was already a 5 - dan judoka in Japan. However, he could never get hold of Wang by the sleeve or the front in competition, no matter how hard he tried. Instead, he was grasped by Wang as soon as they came to grips.
    Jim

Anerlich-

Ran into a kung fu brother last night who is actually taking yoga down the street from where I live. He told me its all run by 4 gorgeous girls. I think I might check it out ha ha ha. I got a flyer for their yoga classes on my fridge!
    http://www.wingchunusa.com

Sao gerk seung siu, mo jit jiu - Hands and feet defend accordingly, there are no secret or unstoppable maneuvers.
    -Yip Man

I started this thread just wondering why Wing Chun is the most popular chinese art. I know its effective, just curious if you think its the most popular due to its effectivenss or the Bruce Lee tag? Or it might be its easier to say in English. Im not sure. Just thought Id pick your brains for opinions.

One of my too few female students was in yoga before.She can do the "Trinity scorpion kick"!....My god!... ...........

Oups! sorry!...I was daydreaming!...
    Last edited by old jong; 06-02-2004 at 12:17 PM.

Bruce who?...
    I guess it is popular because it is easier to practice thanKalaripayattu!...

Okay, sorry for hijacking your thread KarmaFire. I just like being a kid sometimes and I am girl crazy, sorry.

I have studied a few martial arts before I ever even knew what wing chun kuen was. A friend of a friend had just gotten certified to teach wing chun and I was interested in getting back into the martial arts. I remember my first day, I was told my shoulders were going to be my biggest deamons (and they still are ha ha ha sometimes).

My first sifu (wing chun) was a very open minded very talented martial artists and knew a lot about lots of systems. He would have open discussion with me before and after class. I would try to compare my okinawan karate training to wing chun all the time and asked him about practical application of techniques with wing chun training.

What attracted me so much was the structure and idea behind wing chun. You are not relying on strength, size, or any other physical attributes. You are fighting smarter than your opponet. However, even though WCK does not rely on such physical attributes it will definately take advantage of them if you got them. So, I am not saying you do not need to be in good physical shape, because I believe if you want to be a good martial artist you will be in good physical shape.

Then comes in the idea behind it, sticking, trapping, pressurizing, forward motions, center line theory.

Now, I train with my sifu's sifu (my sigung) because he had to move. Wing chun is a great martial art, just very few really understand how to fully utilize it I think.
    http://www.wingchunusa.com

Sao gerk seung siu, mo jit jiu - Hands and feet defend accordingly, there are no secret or unstoppable maneuvers.
    -Yip Man

Many years ago a friend of mine looking for a good M.A. school walked into Bucksam Kong's Tiger and Crane kwoon in Hollywood? and asked this Sifu's opinion of WC as a fighting system. The man just laughed and said that it is for women! There you have it - the woman and the enduring myth-like story of a female warrior who beat soundly a brute by sheer KF skills and grace. Whatever you may think of Wing Chun as a real historical figure or not, she will always have her unique place in all beanies' dream against the encrouching bullies of the universe! Ha! Ha!

Just my bean,
    PBS
    Last edited by PaulH; 06-02-2004 at 02:57 PM.

Originally posted by Phenix

And the record from Yee Chuan recorded:

1940, 6th Dan Judoka , 八田一_? who had represented Japan to participate in the 11th Olympic international wrestling competition in 1936; He challenged WXZ . He graps WXZ's wrist to attack. however, at the instant of contact, he was shocked elivated over ground and bounce toward the wall behind him, then fall to the ground.

Someone wants to check the record of Japanese 1936 olympic paticipant to verify this account? It will be great to find out if WXZ's people lying.
    "Mizutani, Mitsuzo" was the only Japanese wrestler in the 1936 games according to the wrestling database.

Can't read that "八田一_?" to see if it seems the same.
    Someone else will have to check that.

Frankly the "elevated over the ground and bounced off a wall" from touching WXZ's wrist sounds like a complete fairytale anyway.
    Last edited by Edmund; 06-02-2004 at 06:39 PM.

Originally posted by Edmund

"Mizutani, Mitsuzo" was the only Japanese wrestler in the 1936 games according to the wrestling database.

Can't read that "八田一_?" to see if it seems the same.
    Someone else will have to check that.

Frankly the "elevated over the ground and bounced off a wall" from touching WXZ's wrist sounds like a complete fairytale anyway.
    ** Hendrik is out of town at the moment, he asks me to post this for him **

Seems that there is only one
    ¤K¥Ð¤@­¦.

The one return to Japan with Ali's challange message too.
    http://pro-wrestling.idv.tw/pulolesu...okivsali1.html

Certainly, one can believe what one wants on Wang's capablity. Wang beat
    the judoka was a fact.

As for the capability of Yi Chuan. Well, let see Who also study Yi Chuan.
    http://www.budovideos.com/shop/custo...ubstring=sawai
    Last edited by yylee; 06-02-2004 at 09:43 PM.