Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ninja 'Documentary' on Discovery channel last night

Is that George Carlin's brother?
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread

I don't have to prove it I know it. People who know me, know it. That is good enough for me.

His technique was very valid. The "special forces" people relied solely on their numbers and their rapid fire guns.
    LOL!! You're suggesting that the Seals do not have highly advanced tactics and skills. hysterical..

How many special forces guys ended up on their ass? SF casualties - 0%, ninja casualties - 100%
    Fairfax Jiu-Jitsu

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Muay Thai, Capoeira & Mixed Martial Arts

He didn't even use any smoke bombs. lolo

Who cares about him going in dressed as a stage hand. The audience wanted to see his mystical ninja skills. Not a stage hand getting pushed into a bath tub. lolo

Funny you should mention stage hand, as he was a theatre major in college, I think.

Wow, I was soooo into ninjas in the 80's! Including all the garb and gear, I had several of Hayes' books, was a member of The Shadows of Iga, (his ninja newsletter)very desperately wantd to get down to Kettering to train, and we even pranked Larry "Bud" Malmstrom on the phone (immature kids ordering climbing claws). Sweet!

Exclamation Look what i started

Originally posted by ShaolinTiger00

SF casualties - 0%, ninja casualties - 100%

ahhahaaaa...

NP george carlin's brother....that's the 1st thing i thought of when i was watchin it last night

..."okay..what you wanna do to neutralize your F()*&@%G enemy is GRAB HIm by the B@LLS and slice em off with you ninja sword!!"

LOL

guys i don't doubt he has some skills...but if he really does, they were seriously lacking on the documentary...did you SEE HIM? was he still supposed to be the bumbling ninja when he so deftly made the move for the hat? is that a special style akin to drunken fist?

gimme a break
    In mildness is the strength of steel

Originally posted by mortal
    He didn't even use any smoke bombs. lolo

Who cares about him going in dressed as a stage hand. The audience wanted to see his mystical ninja skills. Not a stage hand getting pushed into a bath tub. lolo

AHHAHAHAHHAAAAAAAA

how did i miss this post?

is that a special style akin to drunken fist?
    No just the reaction of the typical TMA "master" who has little experience with a fully resisting opponent.
    Fairfax Jiu-Jitsu

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Muay Thai, Capoeira & Mixed Martial Arts

..."okay..what you wanna do to neutralize your F()*&@%G enemy is GRAB HIm by the B@LLS and slice em off with you ninja sword!!"

That made me crack up and I'm still at work.

Seemed fairly straightforward until they started talking about clarivoyance as a real thing.

I was even more disappointed to find that Hayes himself thinks it's real.

It had promise, it just didn't deliver. Hayes was disappointing, I couldn't figure out if he sucked or was just going slow for the camera. Maybe age. I don't get what's so good about taking four hours to do the mission and then getting "killed" in the process. It would have been interesting to see how one SEAL would have done the mission.

The clarivoyance thing was sad.

Any MASTER would never let 2 guys take him out in a small room like that. My wing chun teacher is untouchable. Never mind getting thrown in a bath tub on his back! That should never happen to any master or sifu. If it has happened you should find a real teacher.
    Yes, MASTERs and to a lesser extent sifu, are all experts at CQB and counter assasination techiques.
    Last edited by rogue; 06-03-2004 at 06:44 PM.
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

I thought it was awesome how he accomplished the mission! He was all by himself and didn't use any weapons...there was nothing in the rules about not ending up on your back in the bathtub...I would like to see how you guys that are giving him a hard time would accomplish this task...and he seemed like a cool guy to me when I met him about 12 years ago, and still seems like one...my bro has a pic with him...he was my first sensei's instructor...but go ahead and talk trash about him on here, I'm sure he doesn't know or care...

anyway I thought the show was awesome and his method of getting the guys hat off was great...reminded me of "The Count of Monte Cristo" or "Silence of the Lambs"...pure genius, IMO...
    Veni Vidi Vici

XMA, now this. I haven't seen it yet. Problem is considering Discovery Channel's current MA track record I don't know if I want to. Wasted a good two hours I could have used training instead of watching XMA. Will this be the same?

So... was this better, worse, or equal to XMA?

-Will

"Any MASTER would never let 2 guys take him out in a small room like that. My wing chun teacher is untouchable. Never mind getting thrown in a bath tub on his back! That should never happen to any master or sifu. If it has happened you should find a real teacher."

Have you ever seen your WC master fight with two strangers who want to beat him at the same time? I'm putting good money on "no".

Have you ever personally seen your teacher fight someone who was not a student or friend, a complete stranger who wanted to rip his head off?

After we see the answer to this, then we can discuss how very difficult it is to bring out 90% of ones skill in a high stress situation, ect. But first I'm cursious if you have any evidence to suggest that your teacher could take two resisting apponants in a single, closed space.

Post Just to clarify

i'm not hating on dude...i give him credit for getting as far as he did, & pullin the hat off.....'hats off to you, sensei hayes' (jokes)

like i said he's obviously pretty knowledgable & seems like a likeable person....

however

he still went headlong into the tub as he went for the hat. he didn't 'get past' the guard. the guard pushed him into the tub as he went for the hat & he landed on his arse.

yo fellas, at that point, ain't no 'tub fighting' kata gettin you out that. he woulda been 'dead-doggy'.

i guess to summerize, the bumbling stage hand act worked well but the bumbling ninja didn't.