Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just some thoughts on "Formal" training, ect..

Just some thoughts on "Formal" training, ect..

Just thought i'd throw this in. Everyone has condridictions, everyones a hypocritic. Weither or not they admit it or not is the difference between honesty(truth) and deception(untruth) of ones self. Honestly expressing yourself is the key. Weither the expression is hypocriticaly of what your originally speaking on or not doesnt matter. Controdictions(hypocriticism) is apart of the growth of a human as truth is reviled the falsehoods left behind will be what we call controdictions, i call growth from puberity to maturity in MA. I have come to a point in MA formal training where i have nothing left i feel to learn from them(this is for fighting and self defense purposes, now id love to go to China or somewhere to train in the old ways but not for self defense or fighting) Ive found truth in religion and mylife im finding it in the martial arts. Seems like all the instructors ive seen on TV and in person want a mimic of themselves. They dont want you to do the techniques in a confortable manner, they want it done text book fashion. I dont see the probably in doing a "untext book" technique if it is effective for the purpose your using it for. Why would you want to put yourself in a position you dont feel comfortable with from the get go, apply the technique, and hope that someday with enough repetition, you'll be comfortable. Why not just make a slight variation and do it "your way" the most comfortable yet efficient way you can? Hope this makes sense. I dont mean to offend anyone. You all have some thoughts?

"unless human being have 3 arms and 4 legs we will have a different style of fighting."-Bruce Lee

remember "le style, c'est l'homme" (the style is the man) the man makes the style, the style doesnt make the man.
    "Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight."-Psalms 144:1

"I Am The Punishment Of God, If You Had Not Committed Great Sins, God Would Not Have Sent A Punishment Like Me Upon You"-Genghis Khan

"The light of the eyes is a comet, And ones' activity is as lightning, The sword that kills the man; is the sword that saves the man"

que?

. . . what?
    BreakProof BackŪ Back Health & Athletic Performance
    https://sellfy.com/p/BoZg/

"Who dies first," he mumbled through smashed and bloody lips.

Re: Just some thoughts on "Formal" training, ect..

Originally posted by Katsu Jin Ken
    They dont want you to do the techniques in a confortable manner, they want it done text book fashion.
    Why would you want to put yourself in a position you dont feel comfortable with from the get go, apply the technique, and hope that someday with enough repetition, you'll be comfortable. Why not just make a slight variation and do it "your way" the most comfortable yet efficient way you can?
    Goodness, we wouldn't want our training to be uncomfortable.
    Cut the tiny testicles off of both of these rich, out-of-touch sumbiches, crush kill and destroy the Electoral College, wipe clean from the Earth the stain of our corrupt politicians, and elect me as the new president. --Vash

huh

^ do you all not understand or what?
    "Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight."-Psalms 144:1

"I Am The Punishment Of God, If You Had Not Committed Great Sins, God Would Not Have Sent A Punishment Like Me Upon You"-Genghis Khan

"The light of the eyes is a comet, And ones' activity is as lightning, The sword that kills the man; is the sword that saves the man"

Re: Just some thoughts on "Formal" training, ect..

Originally posted by Katsu Jin Ken
    Just thought i'd throw this in. Everyone has condridictions, everyones a hypocritic. Weither or not they admit it or not is the difference between honesty(truth) and deception(untruth) of ones self. Honestly expressing yourself is the key. Weither the expression is hypocriticaly of what your originally speaking on or not doesnt matter. Controdictions(hypocriticism) is apart of the growth of a human as truth is reviled the falsehoods left behind will be what we call controdictions, i call growth from puberity to maturity in MA.

was there any real point to any of that?

I have come to a point in MA formal training where i have nothing left i feel to learn from them(this is for fighting and self defense purposes, now id love to go to China or somewhere to train in the old ways but not for self defense or fighting)

I've found that it's generally people who say things like that who have the most to learn and don't even realize it.

Ive found truth in religion and mylife im finding it in the martial arts. Seems like all the instructors ive seen on TV and in person want a mimic of themselves. They dont want you to do the techniques in a confortable manner, they want it done text book fashion.

names? who are you referring to?

I dont see the probably in doing a "untext book" technique if it is effective for the purpose your using it for. Why would you want to put yourself in a position you dont feel comfortable with from the get go, apply the technique, and hope that someday with enough repetition, you'll be comfortable. Why not just make a slight variation and do it "your way" the most comfortable yet efficient way you can?

It's called a learning process. If I teach you harai goshi the text book way, then you know it and become familiar with it. Once you are familiar with it enough to make the changes necessary to be more effective for you, THEN you make them, not before. you can't modify a technique that you do not know.

Also, from a teaching perspective, it clouds things. If I teach you one way to do it, vash another way, tak one way, and I myself do it a different way, then which way is the correct way to teach it? The textbook version will give you a reference point for teaching. once you know the techniques, you modify them and make them your own.

"unless human being have 3 arms and 4 legs we will have a different style of fighting."-Bruce Lee

I actually disagree with that. we will have similar techniques, yes, but as long as those techniques and principles are applied differently, it is a different style. look at a tkd, karate, etc roundhouse, then look at a thai roundhouse. they are both roundhouses, but the method of applying them, strategies, etc. are different.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Sevenstar has taken the correct and shown it that dry-land swimming exercises improve in-the-water functioning.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    ok, lemmie see if I got this straight: you come into my class, and I teach you proper structure of ping choy, a reverse punch.
    But you feel more comfortable doing it with your elbow out, shoulder foward, hyperextended joint,bouncing around on your toes, and I should let you express yourself naturally rather than teaching you correct structure, rooting,skeletal alignment, etc? Let me go way out on a limb here...you're, what, between 16 and 24 yrs old? You've probably studied at one or two different schools, and achieved the rank of green belt. Possibly black Belt in a franchised kempo school, or worse trained under a guy who had a black belt once....
    But you read alot of books, perhaps bought a few videos, maybe attended a seminar. But now you train alone. Am I close?
    Have you read books or gone to sights on wicca, Golden Dawn, shamanism, or psi? or are you "saved"?Just wondering.
    That being said, there is absolutely nothing wrong with being a seeker of knowledge, martial, esoteric, or otherwise. One man's truth may not be another's. We each have to follow our own path.
    I am hoping that before chosing yours, you research, rather than read. "If a scholar wants to find out how many teeth a horse has, he reads everything he can about horses. If a scientist wants to know, he opens up a horse's mouth and counts teeth. "-Be both scholar and scientist.

Change ......

Rik,
    Good to see you holding down Dinosaur Martial Arts for all of us with fossil fuel pumps in our chests. Don't ever Change!!
    ________
    buy scale
    ________
    Colorado medical marijuana dispensaries
    Last edited by seung ga faat; 04-29-2011 at 01:26 AM.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    yep, Tyranasaurus Riks! (I even wear a fossil watch!)Long Time no hear from! I hope to see you at Wongs!

are any of you even TRYING to understand what katsu posted? granted, it was a bit wordy, but it seems true to the spirit of JKD... and self defense in general.

does a lion need to learn the "right" way to attack its prey? does someone correct it on poor technique. my point is that it's movements come naturally, and comfortably ( i think )

maybe someone can do the techniques in a way that is comfortable for them... and the learning process from there would be finding the right time to apply them during an exchange. maybe... maybe not. but the thought desserves more consideration than you give it ten tigers

Self expression is a right which comes from years of experience.

Besides, how can you express yourself if you have nothing to express?

lol now i get it ... u all are just plain MEAN. ........ i dont know what this person did but it must have been pretty bad if no one will even try to take them seriously

Real CMA is still in China and only now making a few small in-roads to America.

SO not one "master" fled to Taiwan, Hong Kong, San Fran, Seattle, Toronto, London, etc?

Silly-talk.

Bruce didnt say or write anything about CMA being useless or ineffective. He said his way was better. More economical at creating persons who can actually fight.

does a lion need to learn the "right" way to attack its prey? does someone correct it on poor technique. my point is that it's movements come naturally, and comfortably ( i think )

You think that all lions survive into old age out in the wild? Some have poor hunting conditions or environments and they dont adapt or move to better hunting grounds, then they starve, die, and are eaten by the hyenas. Only the instinct to hunt is natural and confortable. The way and how of hunting is learned. Then there are lots of ways and hows that can be successful, then there are other ways and hows that are much more successful, better.

strike!

You put your JKD up against some real good traditional gongfu and you'll find out pretty quickly that you're a shallow well.
    Too much generalisation and non-specifics to have much meaning. Different people train JKD very differently but in general they are MMA's and I'm afraid the prevailing evidence doesnt support your previous statement.

My question to you is what was your personal experience of actually training JKD ? Not reading a book, or jerking off over 'Enter The Dragon', actual training experience.

The general impression I get from your post is that you consider JKD to be a refuge for those not willing to work hard enough to succeed at CMA's. My personal experience doesnt support this at all.

Gongfu = time + work.

If this is the case then why do you imply that the training methods that people put their hard work and time into have to be chinese in origin? By your own definition skill is gained through hard work over a long period of time. Why on other parts of your post do you add the chinese modifier and then forget to modify your formula?

I think you should go spout your chinese method vs all other methods BS somewhere else. You are seriously convinced that only the chinese method produces skillful fighters? Prove it. Japan, Thailand, The Islands, America, and Europe all have amazingly skilled fighters. More silly-talk, coming from you.

I was into the concept of JKD a while back and thought that Bruce was the greatest martial artist of all time.

Bruce Lee has so little to do with what "JKD" is now. You are stuck looking at the finger.

JKD people seem to feel that they can take the best from every art and incorporate it in to a personal style.

You are completly wrong. This is not the JKD attitude or credo. The guys who make up the JKD family today, Dan Inosanto, Larry Hartsell, Rick Faye, Eric Paulson, Matt Thorton, and many others are shining examples of your statement's ignorance.

Wise up please.

strike!