Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What I hate about tournaments is......

Blog Entries

Arrow What I hate about tournaments is......

1) Tinfoil swords that go "ka chang"

2) Caucasian people dressed in traditional Chinese clothing

3) Judges who aren't qualified

4) Ambiguous/subjective sparring rules

5) Politics/Drama

6) the entire Creative/Musical division

7) Staffs that would work great as pool cues

8) Traditional forms performed with "Wushu flair"

9) That song from the Wong Fei Hung soundtrack

10) Cheesy techno music (please see Creative/Musical division)

11) Annoying MC's

12) Crappy unhealthy and overpriced food

13) The fact that you are instantly awarded extra points for forms if you:
    a) are Asian
    b)Dressed in a "snappy" outfit
    c)Make a lot of noise
    d)Make facial expressions like you are straining to take
    a sh)t.
    e) under 5'5"

14) Point sparring

15) Karate guys with mullets and more patches on their uniforms than a TGIF Fridays employee.

16) Waiting around all day for your 15 min of competition

Please feel free to expand on my list.....

Last edited by Fu-Pow; 08-23-2004 at 02:41 PM.

LOLOLO That was rich!

Then why do you enter?

I feel your pain though. The above was why I stopped. However, admittedly, I own a uniform that exposes my arm and most of my chest on one side... I think it's a swordsman uniform, or something... someone on kfm referred to it as that once - but It looks really cool, so I would do my forms in it, attempting to get extra points for appearance.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Blog Entries
    Originally posted by SevenStar
    Then why do you enter?
    To remind myself why I don't go to tournaments...haha.

Anyone remember Jeff Bolt's sparring idea? Spar for a few minutes and then get a judge's score like a forms competiton

They scored you on "how you moved", your "Chinese martial art flavor" and other totally intangible things

"how'd you do in your fight"

"I must have done bad, I only got a 7.3"

Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

the other guy got a broken nose, dislocated shoulder and three bruised ribs, but he got an 8.3, so he musta won the fight.
    " i wonder how many people take their post bone marrow transplant antibiotics with amberbock" -- GDA

What I hate about tournaments is......

b!tches that complain about the politics of tournaments.

jus teasin

sort of

What I hate about tournaments is......

Running into the same people competing in the beginners division year after year.

Spotting the lady who taught kickboxing at your old kwoon competing in beginners sparring.

Schools which bring a dozen competitors and they compete using the same form.

Pink or orange Wushu outfits.

Hugely overweight or underweight competitors.

Sifus who walk right up to the judges during the competition and demand better scores for their competitors.

Schools that do poorly, bring up "Honor" and demand their money back.

Overpriced water.

Fighting on the Internet and competing in the Special Olympics have a lot in common. They are both exclusively for the Retarded. Anon

Among the many proud moments of my life was having my discipleship posted on Mantis Cave and one of the funniest was when I saw how they mis-spelled it. Moi

Anyone remember Jeff Bolt's sparring idea? Spar for a few minutes and then get a judge's score like a forms competiton

They scored you on "how you moved", your "Chinese martial art flavor" and other totally intangible things
    Doesn't sound too bad... it's basically like most forms competitions, but you get to hit somebody People getting random scores while hitting each other vs. People getting random scores for doing 3 minutes of bad taiji... hmm...

That horrible noise they play during Muay Thai fights.

Kids from the local TKD school doing glowing numchunk demos.

Watching the MT guys limping out to their cars with their legs wrapped in giant ice packs. Ouch!
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

Re: What I hate about tournaments is......

Originally posted by Fu-Pow
    9) That song from the Wong Fei Hung soundtrack
    I feel your pain. And its always the non chinese that try to be more chinese then the chinese

i dont see anything wrong with wearing frog button shirts, its traditional, sorta. not like im wearing it all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

...Obnoxious wushu people saying "Haaooo" every 10 seconds!!!

PLEASE SHUT UP WUSHU PEOPLE!!! YOU SOUND LIKE THE SEAGULLS IN FINDING NEMO!!!!!

Also, judges for forms divisions who clearly aren't interested in what's going on in front of them, and sparring rules that make it **** near impossible to use Chinese martial arts in the competition ring.

sandbaggin...how long have they been in intermediate now?

instructors who judge their own students higher than what it is obviously supposed to be. kinda compromises the judge's integrity all the way around.

wushu people who compete in traditional that claim their form is traditional but it just has that wushu flare.

sleepy judges who only wake up when they see a butterfly kick and useless tumbling and score high for it in the traditional events..

but for the flip side, i get to travel and meet new people!
    jowgakungfu.com
    shaolinroundtable.com

Originally posted by rogue
    That horrible noise they play during Muay Thai fights.

that "noise" is art. Maybe it's an acquired taste, but I like it.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

.........being there...........