Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ???How much is enough???

actually, my exact words are that "violence is unnaccpetable. If it's unaccepatable, it's unacceptable under any circumstance....gongfu is train your health......if you must defend yourself, use a throw, or othertake down , unless your life is in danger...."she's a good girl, moral and responsible............I trust her judgement, she knows the difference between railroading somebody and saving your life.

cheers

how much is enough

hi guys ob a recent , set of accidents, i was trying to have a beer at a hotel , in melbourne, and a friend of mine dean a disabled person as well , got into a augument with a so called friend , of his i was trying to be good honerst,, this guy was yelling swearing and makeing all diferent stupid claims aganst my
    mate he knows dean is disabled by the way, i told him to be quiet sort it out carlmly. he throws a right hook at myself , and for some reason, i cant understand , why he strangely dropped to the grond apon doing so the he did not get the message, he charged
    at me, i used po pai and footwork and he fell to the ground again
    then he still does not learn , and as he came to me the third , time seems some people are just stupid he fell over backwoods into a table of glasses, and after that he stopped for some reason and picked his bag and ran off sometimes people have to learn the hard way peace russellsherry
    russellsherry

GF,

The tales of many refugees and immigrants still now too achingly painful to listen to even for me. I have heard too many of their tragic stories and seen those haunted eyes too many times. But here I am in America and I would like to live a meaningful life without regrets. I think that must be a reason I like the ending of "Saving Private Ryan" a lot. Life is a gift and one must earn it with dignity, honor, and grace while he still has it. I'm grateful my little story means something to you. Take care, bro! =)

what happened to self-discipline in martial arts?
    Nothing has changed. Implying its lack in someone else remains a great way to put down those who choose not to follow your idea of correct conduct, when arguing on the WWW.

Many say self discipline is an integral part of MA (which it is, but no more so than working towards any worthy and challenging goal), or that MA training will somehow cultivate it better than anything else ... which is not so, it must come from within.

And WTF does Bush have to do with any of this?
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

Originally posted by PaulH
    GF,

The tales of many refugees and immigrants still now too achingly painful to listen to even for me. I have heard too many of their tragic stories and seen those haunted eyes too many times. But here I am in America and I would like to live a meaningful life without regrets. I think that must be a reason I like the ending of "Saving Private Ryan" a lot. Life is a gift and one must earn it with dignity, honor, and grace while he still has it. I'm grateful my little story means something to you. Take care, bro! =)
    Yes, I have also heard some very nasty WWII stories. Its stories like these that make you appreciate what you really have. I may have some problems with america, and what its government does, however I do realize it is a great place to live.

A friends family member was in WWII fighting in the pacific islands against japanese soldiers. They had taken an island from Japan about a week previous. One lone sniper sat in a distant tree for a week to get one shot off, to kill an officer. That officer just happened to be within feet of my friends family member. How does one person stay stranded in a tree knowing nothing but defeat remain to just make one last kill, even though it does not affect the outcome of the previous battle?

As humans we often do things which are wrong. Revenge can drive a man to do a lot. However, I will say as brutal and nasty as it gets, its what makes us human I suppose.

I do not condone violence. Infact, the last fight I ever started was years ago in high school. I saw an ROTC kid spit on a girl and then slap her in the face. I had no idea what the situation was, but I didn't stand for it. I whopped the kid pretty good and felt justified. That was the last time I ever started a fight with anyone (well, besides my brother but he doesn't count).

If the situation presents itself and I see an opportunity where fighting someone is justified I suppose I would take it. Today on the streets it may be different than back in high school, so I can't be 199% sure I would do the same thing today. Once you get a knife pulled on you, you kind of realize your mortality.
    http://www.wingchunusa.com

Sao gerk seung siu, mo jit jiu - Hands and feet defend accordingly, there are no secret or unstoppable maneuvers.
    -Yip Man

can't people here talk without swearing????....anger management all round thx..........

regardless, the point with Bush, is if everyone is running around with a good excuse to use violence.....meaning there are good excuses to be violent.........he not exempt right?

"can't people here talk without swearing????....anger management all round thx.........."

Aheeeeeeeeeeeemmmmm!!!!!!Cough cough!!

Notes from the master

(3rd post dowwn from the top)
    Last edited by Miles Teg; 06-09-2004 at 12:17 AM.

Yaaaaaay!!!!!!! That was my first link thingy. Im so proud of myself.

Victor,

Thanks for the response, I can see where you are coming from with regard to the temperement of Grandmaster Cheung, but I guess we are all on the same path somewhere

Regards,
    Adrian

ps
    If I do make it to NY sometime I will be sure to visit your school and add to my WC/WT

Victor - my respect to you. Given the threat to your school (which would have lost students had this gone unanswered), you had no choice in this - sometimes turning the other cheek just means you get slapped twice.

Paul
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it

noone said anything about turning the other cheek.but you don't have to slap theirs in order to not have yours slapped

When someone walks into your school, challenges you in front of your students (whilst knowing that you cannot accept at that point due to surgery), and then further insults your Sifu - that is a direct threat to business as much as anything else. Students are impressionable - how long do you think that school would survive if no response was made? To me the only valid response was the one given.

I am deliberately removing honour from the equation because that is a seperate justification that is more easily argued - I think if it had been done in private there may not have been any trouble. The insult was made with the express purpose of provocation and the loss of face in front of his students.

I understand that that can be a huge issue.............but I think the secret is to what you're really teaching.and what example do you really want them to follow????.......of course fees become imporant to ensure the longevity of your business....but it's not old day hong kong................the world will not end./no matter what goes down, the world will NOT end!.............sometimes we can aford to take the high ground

Possibly - I view it like this:
    If i spend hours and hours of my time building up my school and the good name of myself and my teacher, then someone who tries to take that away from me should be stopped.

As far as i can make out, all measures were taken to resolve this without violence - but ultimately someone comes and starts a school of the same style 5 feet from your own established school, then comes in and challenges you to fight, and then insults the teacher that has put their time and effort into training you.

To me I would be teaching entirely the right lesson by accepting the challenge (or in this case, due to injury, having my student accept the challenge) - I've been through some pretty unpleasant things myselg and there are people in this world who don't let you do 'the right thing'. Sometimes you have to say "this stops here". I would know in my heart and soul if I had done the right thing - that's the only person that matters when it comes to conscience.

I guess in the real world you're right, but I'm gearing to shaolin and there's nothing "real world" about it...........you remind me of old day hong kong,. but I'll pay it anyway, because you're right.this jazz goes down, people test their testosterone, ..just don't hurt him tooo much ....he didn't realise