Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is It REALLY Chinese?

Unhappy Is It REALLY Chinese?

So,

This afternoon, I worked out the soup dumpling recipe from Joe's Shanghai.

I discovered the right dough recipe in a Dim Sum book written by a chinese woman.

I discovered the right FILLING mixture in a book I have by Eileen Yin Fei Lo.

I made them this afternoon, served them with *****iang Vinegar and Sliced Ginger.

They were perfect.

So, my question is, is this really Chinese food or is it "American Chinese," since I am as white as they come?

I'm confused about this, because there was a big thread awhile back that claimed two things:

1. That a chinese art taught by a non-chinese person isn't really authentic,

2. Chinese food cooked by a mexican line cook wouldn't really be Chinese. It would be "Chinacan."

Please help.

Thanks.
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

What were you wearing when you cooked it?
    Did you stir with the arms, or did you employ whole body power?
    Does Eileen Yin Fei Lo have an unbroken lineage directly to Yin Fu?
    Cut the tiny testicles off of both of these rich, out-of-touch sumbiches, crush kill and destroy the Electoral College, wipe clean from the Earth the stain of our corrupt politicians, and elect me as the new president. --Vash

No, it has no whole fried fish, or noodles.
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread

Obviously, there's no way to tell just from a written description. I'll have to get first-hand experience to make a determination like that.

A couple dozen should be plenty for my testing.

e-gram me for the address to send them to.

All my fight strategy is based on deliberately injuring my opponents. -
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

First you get good, then you get fast, then you get good and fast.

Are all roman catholics roman?

Is a dutchy dutch?

The recipe is Chinese, what you made was just plain tasty...probably, I don't know, you didn't send any along.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

It really depends. I do a lot of cooking and you can't really go by WHO wrote the recipe.

For me the deciding factor is if the taste/flavour and ingredients were adjusted to what is locally available for easier preparation.

Having eaten plenty of food in a variety of countries I know that "ethnic" food flavour is quiet often adjusted to the local flavour or even to "ideas" of what it should be.

If you want authentic flavour than there is only one place where you can get it.

Well MP, it is not what you cooked, but how you cooked it that counts. As long as you have covered all flavour ranges and have tested them against a fully resisting food critic then you should be fine
    cxxx[]:::::::::::>
    Behold, I see my father and mother.
    I see all my dead relatives seated.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.
    He calls me. Take me to him.

If it tastes good, it must be Chinese! =)

How does your meal hold up in the ring against a Gracie? If he gives it his thumbs up, then it's just Kick Boxer Food. If Gracie chokes [on] it, it's Chinese Kung Food!!!
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

It all depends on the lineage. some lineage recognize chinese foods cooked by foreign cooks as chinese, but the more conservative schools won't. But, in the modern china, if you apply for a license from the prc, you can cook whatever you want and call it chinese foods b/c you are licensed.

Last edited by rogue; 06-07-2004 at 07:45 PM.
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

Salivating!

All we need is rice wine or Tsin Dao beer.

If it is not served with wine, it is not Chinese.

I think the real question behind is that if a Chinese art has to be taught by Chinese only otherwise it is not Chinese?

No.

If you can speak some Chinese, you are Chinese. That is it.

If you teach Kung Fu or Chinese cooking, but you speak absolutely nothing in Chinese. It will be hard.

The best Suai Jiao is from Mongolian Chinese.

The best Ba Ji, Tang Twei, Tza Quan are from moslem Chinese.

White Russians live in border towns along the longest border in the world, Sino-russo border. If they speak Chinese, they are white Russian Chinese.

There are many Jewish towns in Shanghai in the 30's. They do business. The speak perfect Chinese and Shanghai dialect. They are Jewish Chinese.

Just a thought.

Have peace.

If you are good at something, you are good. Whether you are Chinese or not, it is not as important.
    Last edited by SPJ; 06-07-2004 at 08:10 PM.

Not only is it chinese, but you are a chinese woman. The question is, are you hot?
    I would use a blue eyed, blond haired Chechnyan to ruin you- Drake on weapons

Originally posted by KC Elbows
    Not only is it chinese, but you are a chinese woman. The question is, are you hot?
    Furthermore, if you are, in fact, hot, when you gonna let me hit dat?
    BreakProof BackŪ Back Health & Athletic Performance
    https://sellfy.com/p/BoZg/

"Who dies first," he mumbled through smashed and bloody lips.