Thread: does shanghai have "THE" master??

does shanghai have "THE" master??

I was just wondering if everyone agrees on this claim? I read it on their web page. No mention of Taiwan on the page, wonder what the rest of the practicioners here think...
    "Today, Master Kai Uwe Pel still teaches a select group in Shanghai. He is regarded as a living legend in Northern Praying Mantis Kung Fu circles and IS WITHOUT DOUBT THE MOST KNOWLEDGEABLE PRAYING MANTIS MASTER ALIVE TODAY."
    (capital letters my addition)
    Interesting claim, aye .... Are his teachers all dead , or did he just surpass them all in knowledge?
    Last edited by daohong; 06-09-2004 at 09:04 AM.

He is far from" the most knowledgeable Praying Mantis master alive today"

Dont trust every thing you read.

Skard1
    skarbro -- you're in, brother. your sole responsibility -- mock temple kung fu. -rubthebuddha

Its not what goes in a man that defile's him, its what comes out.

www.torontohiphop.com

any suggestions as to who is? or is this just a question that cannot be answered?
    ________
    Kawasaki zxr250
    Last edited by mantiskilla; 04-22-2011 at 05:54 AM.

Post a thread with his name and ask him. he's a member on these boards. I only peruse these threads occasionally but I think a question similar to this was raised in the past, a search may dig something up.

Never look to what a man or his friends say about him. Look at what his enemies say, & then find out if what they say is true.

Best wishes,
    ~BTL
    How many identities does a Troll need?
    Didn't think I knew did you??
    I know a lot of things.
    You won't like me in person either.
    Confused?? Don't be.
    LOL!

What about Lee Kam Wing?

Maybe someday Kai Uwe Pel can put up some clips for all to enjoy. I am very curious. Pong Lai will be posting clips in the near future.
    I am still a student practicing - Wang Jie Long

"Don`t Taze Me Bro"

Google

Originally posted by Wang Rui Xuan
    A few simple research tips:
    1) Contact him directly.
    2) 'Google' his name and follow up on the leads.
    3) Contact his teachers, kung fu brothers, and students.
    4) As mentioned previously you can also do a search on this forum.

From what I have heard he is a respected traditional teacher.

Regards,
    Wang Rui Xuan
    @ 1) not necessary, he contacts me a lot. I got my picture!
    @ 2) okay, did it. Result:
    Google Research
    @ 3) Yes, did it. I know his first (only true?) teacher very well. What he thinks? PM me. Former students I know also a lot. What they think? No, You donīt want to hear that ...
    @ 4) Not necessary any more, I think.
    If you canīt change the world - change yourself!
    And if you canīt change yourself: change YOUR world!
    ---
    My YouTube Site

Re: does shanghai have "THE" master??

Originally posted by daohong
    "Today, Master Kai Uwe Pel still teaches a select group in Shanghai. He is regarded as a living legend in Northern Praying Mantis Kung Fu circles and IS WITHOUT DOUBT THE MOST KNOWLEDGEABLE PRAYING MANTIS MASTER ALIVE TODAY."
    (capital letters my addition)
    I guess that would depend on which version of Praying Mantis.
    Last edited by mantisben; 06-11-2004 at 09:23 AM.
    ------------------------------
    Ever since I was a lad
    I was an automatic
    mad mantis fanatic.
    I became a man
    manically attached to it...
    Could it be,
    it attached to ME?!?!!
    --------------------------------
    Herminio Alvarez, Jr.

Re: does shanghai have "THE" master??

Originally posted by daohong
    "...WITHOUT DOUBT THE MOST KNOWLEDGEABLE PRAYING MANTIS MASTER ALIVE TODAY."
    What makes a master will always be relative. One man's master is another man's fool. The responses to this post have already proven that there is indeed "doubt" in regards to the bold statement above and, as such, proves the statement to be false on a fundamental level. If one piece of a statement is blatantly untrue then the rest of the statement holds little credibility. The fact that the statement is made false does not, however, make Kai Uwe Pel a fraud. I believe one should make their own judgements on a person after having known them personally for sometime rather than hearsay or rumormill.
    -Mr.Binx

"I think therefore I think I am."

Ha Ha - this is quite funny!!

You know I must admit between this thread and the "Kai Uwe Pel and Lee Kam Wing" thread, I don't know which one is more amusing. As an ubiased bystander I can see why the Kai Uwe Pel camp is offended but I don't think that warrants a "come into shanghai and we consider it a challange" to German bai lung.

I wonder how many people on this thread actually know or have met Master Pel? If you have personal stories good or bad you should share them so that the other side gets a chance to explain. If not you shouldn't comment at all and sit back and watch the fun!! Also remember not to assume anything, as the old saying goes it might make an ***** out of "U" and "ME".

As for myself, I studied traditional Kung Fu for 6 years in North America (very traditional), and I currently live in Shanghai. I have been fortunate to meet Master Pel and train in a few of his classes. He seems to me a true Kung Fu practitioner. He is very approachable and willing to share his thoughts with anybody that asks and his skills in 7 star praying mantis is amazing.

Sure, he likes to stir the **** at times, but this comes out of his love for his style and the search for perfection in all Martial arts.
    I know that he trainded Lee Kam Wing for many years and that they had a falling out. But I also heard he trained with other PM masters (i could be wrong, so if someone is willing to correct me please do). I have also heard that Lee Kam Wing has a reputation of being quite difficult and a bit crazy but these remarks were made from Martial Artists outside of the 7 star PM circle.

What frustrates me about this forum is that alot of people are quick to judge without really knowing people. Kung Fu is as much as learning about oneself as it is about learning to defend yourself.

One thing that I do want to add is that I do find it quite upsetting for Kung Fu clubs issueing challenges to fight. I was always taught to walk away from a fight and to fight in only a life or death matter.

That being said in my short experience with Kai Uwe Pel I believe that he is a Master that really knows his stuff!!!
    Last edited by Hungfutkune; 06-12-2004 at 05:22 AM.

Re: Re: does shanghai have "THE" master??

Originally posted by mantisben

I guess that would depend on which version of Praying Mantis.
    I thought about this post. And in retrospect, I have absolutely NO right or basis to say "...depends on which version of PM." This was totally WRONG by me. I want to apologize to Kai Uwe Pel, and anyone else who read my post.

I am a NOBODY in the PM world, and I am TOTALLY unqualified to say whether he is a PM Master, or not. I don't know enough about PM, and even if I did, it isn't my place to speak on such things.

I was WRONG, and I apologize to Kai Uwe Pel.
    ------------------------------
    Ever since I was a lad
    I was an automatic
    mad mantis fanatic.
    I became a man
    manically attached to it...
    Could it be,
    it attached to ME?!?!!
    --------------------------------
    Herminio Alvarez, Jr.