Thread: Is This Your Definition of a Life-long Traditionalist Here?

Universal Stance Guest

Is This Your Definition of a Life-long Traditionalist Here?

My definition of a traditionalist MA:

A person who decided in life to pursue a system of martial arts that would change them as a person on the whole. It's not about only fighting or fame. It's about personal, mental and possibly spiritual development that can help enhance the practitioner's life, health, and relationships. It's a life-long commitment that is never truly satisfied and constantly seeks personal growth. It is a person who devotes their life to their chosen style(s) and system(s) with no reason to leave less a total inability to reach their goals with that(those) style(s) or system(s)(this doesn't include financial or relocation because you can still be devoted to the personal development the system promotes).

This defines me. Anyone else here feel the same w/wo some minor differences?

I take a Universal Stance regarding the Martial Arts.

"**** it's cold out here to be practicing."

Kung Lek Guest
    "Tradition" by definition is doing things as they were shown to be done and within the famework of the subject.

A traditional martial artist teaches in the way he/she was taught.

Everything that is handed down to the next generation and adhered to by that generation is a traditional path and observance.

Of course, that can mean a lot of different things to a lot of different people. So many divisions of this and that, so many differences and so on.

So, traditional martial arts are considered to be those arts that were codified a long time ago and that are correct in principle and application, and that are taught in the same way, systematcally since they were first codified.

Your definition sounds more like a personal testimony to the feelings you have towards your practice and how they inspire you.

peace

Kung Lek

Martial Arts Links

Universal Stance Guest

I agree but...

Many traditional MA promote that you get what I'm testifying about out of the system. My system has many parts that are derived from Shaolin who did promote such things not only from Buddhism but also from their fighting systems.

My definition is accurate from a certain point of view. If a traditional art is practiced similiarly (every generation contributes something) from teacher to student, then the core values and concepts should also be there, thus my definition.

I take a Universal Stance regarding the Martial Arts.

"**** it's cold out here to be practicing."