Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I want Xiao Hong Quan

I want Xiao Hong Quan

Can anyone recomend a good video/vcd/dvd that I could purchase on Xiao Hong Quan? Thanks!

One other thing...

Who would be considered(in your opinion) the top teachers of Hong Quan in the world?
    Last edited by Brad; 06-12-2004 at 02:09 PM.

Shi Decheng has a very nice video put out by Fechter Verlag.
    Be aware that there is a "short" version of xiaohong chuan that leaves out some of the movements from the "long" version. To be honest, I haven't seen many videos, etc. of xiaohong chuan, though I know they are out there.
    As to top teacher....????
    Blah, blah, blah...

The Tagou texts have it in the first book.

Also, check out the martialartsmart.com site. I believe there are several versions of it there as well.
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Hey Freedom, you don't know of a website that I could purchase that video from, do you?

Here's what I've found so far:
    Xu Xi Chang vcd: http://www.plumpub.com/images/VCD/vcd101.jpg

Shi Yong Zhi vcd: http://www.plumpub.com/images/VCD2/vcd501.jpg

Another vcd(don't know who this dude is): http://www.plumpub.com/images/VCD2/vcd601.jpg

Shi Guo Lin video: http://store.martialartsmart.net/pr-gs002.html

Anyone seen these who can offer opinions?

I have the Shi Goulin one. It's a good rendition of the basic set, but I don't know how complete it is. Your going to have to ask some of the guys who have Monks for teachers.

For me, in my Tai Tzu studies, I have found that when getting a form via video, it is best to get as many versions as you can. By doing this, you can compare them, and figure out what has been added or subtracted.

Different brances will leave out different things, because they really don't talk to one another. By getting them all, you can scrap together the most complete authentic set short of learning it live as a desciple.
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Well, my teacher knows Hong Quan so I'm not really looking to learn the set from vid... mostly looking for a possible home reference(and getting different perspectives on how the form can be done). I'm more interested in the quality of the performer than the closeness to my teachers version of the form(which I haven't seen yet. Also I'd like to see if it's something I'd like to learn. The internet vids I've seen have me interested, but they're too small and blurry for me to really make out any detail When all is said and done, I probably WILL end up buying all of them anyway

Originally posted by Brad
    I want Xiao Hong Quan
    This begs the question, "is he ready to lift that restraining order?"
    BreakProof BackŪ Back Health & Athletic Performance
    https://sellfy.com/p/BoZg/

"Who dies first," he mumbled through smashed and bloody lips.

LOL!! @ Vash!!

Brad, I am not sure if the Shaolin Xiao Hong is the same as the standard Northern Hong Chuan even. I have a Xiao Hong Chuan in my *Tai Tzu Hong Chuan as well, and it's TOTALLY a different form. I'd be interested to see if it's the same set as yours. The Tai Tzu Hong Chuan is suposed to be very similar to the standard Northern Hong Chuan from what I'm told (I've never seen the two side by side though)

*Tai Tzu Hong Chuan is very closely related to the Tai Tzu Chang Chuan, but technically a different style from the same roots. It has 4 Xiao forms (Yi Lu, Er Lu, San Lu etc..) and 6 Da forms.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Brad: I have only found it on ebay and then very rarely (twice in about 2 years). I believe it was originally in German and the one I have has been dubbed in English. It's part of a three video set that include many of the basics and "early" forms. Dahong Chuan, xiaohong chuan, tongbei chuan, staff, broadsword, spear, straight sword, whip chain (more wushu), a little yin jin jing, 18 basic movements w/ applications and think some other things as well. The videos are very well done and Shi Decheng moves with A LOT of power.
    There is also a French video (videos?) that Shi Decheng did, but I have never seen them. The other problem to watch out for is to make sure the videos aren't in a PAL format. The three I have are VHS.
    Also, I agree with Royal Dragon. Even for reference I'd suggest at least a couple different versions. Everyone presents differently and moves differently. Different focus' may give you different insight.
    I also have the double video of xiaohong chuan and dahong chuan (performed by Liu Cunliang and Diao Shanduo respectively) that is authorized by Abbot Shi Yongxin. It's the first of the Ten Famous Shaolin Boxing series. It is not a good for an intro, but with experience it's not too bad. It's also British English dubbing and a bit hard to understand.
    Blah, blah, blah...

Brad: I have only found it on ebay and then very rarely (twice in about 2 years). I believe it was originally in German and the one I have has been dubbed in English. It's part of a three video set that include many of the basics and "early" forms. Dahong Chuan, xiaohong chuan, tongbei chuan, staff, broadsword, spear, straight sword, whip chain (more wushu), a little yin jin jing, 18 basic movements w/ applications and think some other things as well. The videos are very well done and Shi Decheng moves with A LOT of power.

Are these the ones?: http://www.bacopa.at/tcm/SK05.html

Yes, those look to be the same, except mine are in English and VHS format.
    Blah, blah, blah...

The English Fechter vids...

...that version was only made for the '98 N. America tour, which only did nine shows (for more info on this, see my article Shaolin Monks and Warrior Nuns in ourMay June 2004. At the end of the tour, I personally acquired the remaining stock from Mr. Fechter, which I then sold through my former company, WLE. I'm still in contact with them and trying to acquire more NTSC versions, but we've his some snags. I think they are superior than the French version, plus my master Shi Decheng had some issues with the French version.

Shi Deyang has a new VCD series that I like, but I haven't seen the Xiaohong. See my Shaolin Here and Now article in our 2004 Shaolin special for more on Deyang. I think we discussed his VCD's here on this forum earlier, but I don't have the time to search it right now.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Cool. I found someone selling the German De Cheng videos in NTSC VHS format. I know some German, so it's not too bad :-) The only bad part is that shipping is going to cost alot(they're coming from Austria :-P)