Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Closed door students

Brief rant follows........

Bah - closed door, schmosed door.
    To me this concept only has negative connotations on soo many levels.

It speaks badly for the teacher, badly for the student and is the source of so much bullsh*t.

Excuse my interruption, please continue your pointless discussion.

"Bah - closed door, schmosed door.
    To me this concept only has negative connotations on soo many levels.

It speaks badly for the teacher, badly for the student and is the source of so much bullsh*t.

Excuse my interruption, please continue your pointless discussion."

I can't dissagree.
    Truth is, people have used this as a marketing tool and obviously to some misguided students it means something (otherwise they wouldn't use it as a marketing tool).
    My guess is Ip Man probably pulled aside the four top (or what he believed to be the most likly candidates) students of his, in order to make sure what they knew and were teaching was to his satisfaction before passing on leadership of the VTMAA so he could retire. That is not to say that others were not as good, they just were not the ones he chose for whatever reason (could be they had better business sense or ???). Also this was over 25 years ago, there are many excellent instructors who have developed in that time alone.

Pointless discussion? Yeah, but it satisfied my curiosity, so it wasn't completly pointless for me.
    Sapere aude, Justin.

The map is not the Terrain.

"Wheather you believe you can, or you believe you can't...You're right." - Henry Ford

"Riding a Dead Horse"

The tribal wisdom of the Dekota Indians passed on from generation to generation says that when you discover that you are riding a "Dead Horse" the best strategy is to dismount.