Thread: Reaction?

Celestial Amiboshi Guest

Reaction?

This question is for any current instructors/sifus out there:

How would you respond to and handle a student who feels that he doesn't deserve his current rank? This student was recently tested by both the chief instructor as well as the headmaster of our school and passed.

MonkeySlap Too Guest
    Ask him why he feels that way. Often these sorts of feelings are tied to the students perceptions of how things should be. Identifying this can help you point the student into a productive path in thier studies.

Or

You might be a rank mill, and he didn't really do the work and he knows it. His perception of how things should be is conflicting with how they are.
    No offense intended, just this is a common possibility, I am not sayoing this is so in YOUR case.

I don't deal in rank, I only get involved in that stuff when I'm forced to, so maybe I am not the best to repond...

I am a big beleiver in luck. The more I work, the more luck I have.

Robinf Guest
    I've had that feeling in the past that I didn't deserve the rank I earned at my test. In fact, I did fail a test once--I failed a very small part, but it was still failing. My instructor called me up and told me that I failed that part and I "should" fail the test, then handed me my next rank, bowed, and was silent. I buckled down so hard after that, I earned that rank every night I was there. I changed from that moment. I earn every rank I've had and will have, every night. He was banking on the thought that that would light a fire under me, and it did. He'd seen me in class and new I could do the curriculum, there was just one thing that had fallen out of practice in me. Now, nothing goes unpracticed.

That's a personal feeling, though. And that's not something that any teacher can change with words. The teacher saw that you, or whoever, did in fact EARN the rank somehow. If you feel you don't deserve it, then you need to prove to yourself every night that you do deserve it. In other words, DO BETTER; earn that rank every night.

Robin

Surrender yourself to nature and be all that you are.

Celestial Amiboshi Guest
    Thank you.

I sat down and did some thinking just a few moments ago. I don't like to assume things about other people, but, I feel that this student has perfectionist and low confidence issues. What would be the best way to approach him without chasing him off?

Shaolindynasty Guest
    Did he really pass? Or was he just given the rank so as not to hurt his feelings? If he passed all the requirments then explain to him that he deserves the rank if not well.......Anyway did this person say somthing to you? If not I say let it go until he does after all assumption is the mother of all Fuk ups.

New classes New online Catalog
    www.shaolindynasty.cjb.net

JWTAYLOR Guest
    Let a student know that the "test" is what he does every day at class and at home. And that you've seen that all of that work, and that you are a better, more credible judge for who should get a rank than lowly he.

JWT

If you pr!ck us, do we not bleed? If you poison us, do we not die? And if you wrong us, shall we not revenge? If we are like you in the rest, we will resemble you in that the villany you teach me, I will execute, and it shall go hard but I will better the instruction. MOV

Robinf Guest
    That's something he's going to have to learn to get over/deal with on his own. You can't spoon feed him what to think. He has to trust that his sifu knows what he's doing in his teaching, testing and ranking.

Robin

Surrender yourself to nature and be all that you are.

gazza99 Guest

Encouragement

It definatley sounds like a low confidence problem, unless of course his fellow students of the same rank are much better than he is, then its simply a comparison issue.
    Just keep reassuring him he is doing well, but dont BS him when hes not. Assure him that nobody is given prefferential treatment.
    Gary

"Of course thats just my opinion, I could be wrong"-Dennis Miller
    www.pressurepointfighting.com

nospam Guest
    Tell the student that if s/he didn't deserve it, I wouldn't have passed them. Establishing goals is good, but setting too high of a goal or asking too much of oneself is a quick road to burnout and failure.

nospam.

joedoe Guest
    I personally like what every British SAS soldier is told when they pass selection - "It's harder to keep than it was to earn". Given the gruelling nature of the selection process I'm sure it is a humbling experience. I believe this also applies to the rank situation in a MA school.

Maybe he also has to learn to trust the judgement of his seniors. They have judged his performance in his grading and I am sure have taken his general performance into account before awarding him his rank.

cxxx[]:::::::::::>
    You're fu(king up my chi