Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Kung Fu and the UFC, which is more reality based?

Common Sense

Go back and read.

Originally posted by blooming lotus

lucky I'm such a nice chick

What a relief.

Re: Common Sense

Originally posted by reemul
    Go back and read.

Tell me, how many windpipes have you ripped out of people's throats?

You're a hypocrite

Thats all there is to it.

MMA practice techniques up to a point without doing perminant damage. So do other systems.

But when it comes to other systems, particularly those you know nothing about, they have go beyond what you accept of your own art.

As for ripping out windpipes the answer is none. But I have wrapped my fingers around a few, touching my thumb and fingers together behind it. This is the equivalent of you putting someone in an armbar and applying pressure, but not breaking the arm.
    Last edited by reemul; 08-03-2004 at 10:08 AM.

Re: The old MMA double standard

I know when I grabbed my opponents windpipe if I pulled hard enough, I could have ripped it out or crushed it. Fu&*%^ common sense. Grapplers don't go all out if they're not killing people.

No, we don't. But, I've seen more broken bones in grappling tournies, mma etc. than any tma tourney I've seen. As stated though, the actual break isn't the point. It's getting the position and doing the break. the actual break is already there. It's a given if I have the technique and position.

Others styles go just as hard. I have had a concussion bruised ribs and inflicted my share of pain as well. Grapplers don't possess a monopoly on full contact.

I did some hard contact in my cma days as well. much more in my JMA days though. None of that changes what I said above. The contact issue lends itself to a completely different discussion - learning to take a hit, dealing with fears/adrenaline dump, etc.

The fact that I have gotten the best of MMA practioners in past, suggest that all so called traditional CMA are not as weak and useless as you would like to believe.

not really. the sun even shines on a dog's arse some days. It only proves that you had your day(s). The tma guys that got mauled in mma probably had their days too - but the nights of said fights weren't those days.

however, I'm not saying cma as a whole is weak. I see more advantages with mma is all.

Using the example of the tiger claw:
    If I practice boxing skills, defenssive skills and can see oppenings or weakness in my opponents, just as easily as I can throw a jab, a hook, or any other boxing technique, I can rake your face. If my hands are conditioned, you will lose flesh and possibly an eye. I dont need to see it done simply because I have seen how conditioned hands have gone through harder substances than flesh and its application is executed through boxing skill.[/b]

you competely missed it...again. yes, you threw the jab, yes it connected - that's fine. but you are conditioning yourself to throw the jab. Hence, you will most likely throw the jab in a fight, as that's what you use most of the two. Also, the reach of the jab is slightly longer than that of a tiger claw. If you are at the distance for a jab and don't adjust, then your claw may not connect. train the technique you are going to use.

The way this differs from the arm bar example is that I actually arm bar. I get the position and use that exact same technique. that's what I'm conditioned to use.no distance change, no consciously thinking to switch the technique, etc.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Re: You're living in kungfu movie land

You have built a completely hollow sense of security and ability around techniques you have never done, practiced, or even seen.

Re: You're a hypocrite

But when it comes to other systems, particularly those you know nothing about, they have go beyond what you accept of your own art.

it's not that so much as it is bogus thoughts and claims. the example we had of a nut shot. I can't count how many people I've heard think that it's a fight ender, but the plain and simple fact is that that's not always true. you can't rely on it to be one because of that. If you think that it is always a fight ender, prove it. I can't count how many times I've heard people say they will sink either their weight or their chi and a grappler will not be able to take them down. Pure BS. If you stand by it, prove it. I can't count how many times I've heard people say "hit him in the throat, nuts or gouge his eyes" - I even heard one of my sihing's say it. If you think it's really that easy to get my eyes or throat, prove it. that 's all.

As for ripping out windpipes the answer is none. But I have wrapped my fingers around a few, touching my thumb and fingers together behind it. This is the equivalent of you putting someone in an armbar and applying pressure, but not breaking the arm.

I think his argument there is that you have done it as you say - a few times. And, if you touched thumb and finger behind, I'm guessing you did it fairly slow, meaning that the guy let you do it after you had grabbed him. that differs from how a grappler does it, slightly. He does those locks on a daily basis, not only a few times. The opponent's disadvantages body position stops him from fighting out of the lock, making it easy to perform slowly. If you are both standing and you're grabbing his throat, you may not have that same luxury of extreme positional advantage. If not, then he can fight out - and you may not get a solid hold on his throat because of it.

grappling rule #1 is position before submission. I won't lock your arm until you have been immobilized. Is your opponent fully immobilized when you grab his throat? If not, then that technique may not work the way you want it to...
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Too **** many Assumptions

it's not that so much as it is bogus thoughts and claims. the example we had of a nut shot.
    Never said anything about a nut shot being a fight ender, I too have taken shots and continued fighting.
    I think his argument there is that you have done it as you say - a few times. And, if you touched thumb and finger behind, I'm guessing you did it fairly slow, meaning that the guy let you do it after you had grabbed him.
    Wrong, I use it in a sparring sessions particularly when people start grappling. They usually don't have much of a choice due to position and speed of application. It's not something you generally see coming.

If you are both standing and you're grabbing his throat, you may not have that same luxury of extreme positional advantage. If not, then he can fight out - and you may not get a solid hold on his throat because of it.

It's getting the position and doing the break. the actual break is already there. It's a given if I have the technique and position.
    Same logic I use, we just differ on the techniques.
    I can't count how many times I've heard people say they will sink either their weight or their chi and a grappler will not be able to take them down.
    You didn't hear me say it.
    I think his argument there is that you have done it as you say - a few times.
    figure of speach. I'm very comfortable applying this. However it is not the mainstay of fighting strategy.
    Last edited by reemul; 08-03-2004 at 11:11 AM.

Re: Too **** many Assumptions

Never said anything about a nut shot being a fight ender, I too have taken shots and continued fighting.

way too many assumptions - I didn't say that you said it.

Wrong, I use it in a sparring sessions particularly when people start grappling. They usually don't have much of a choice due to position and speed of application. It's not something you generally see coming.

the choice of dealing with the technique isn't what matters. Do they have the free range of movement to deal with it? If not, what position do you have them in?

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

Re: Too **** many Assumptions

Wrong, I use it in a sparring sessions.

With your friends?

Good God

the choice of dealing with the technique isn't what matters. Do they have the free range of movement to deal with it? If not, what position do you have them in?
    Doesn't really matter, I've done it and It works. Though it may be to your dismay, It is a fight stopper.
    With your friends?
    I can only infer from this that you have pu$$ies for friends. I however don't.

Re: Good God

Doesn't really matter, I've done it and It works.

Oh, so you have ripped out someone's windpipe! I thought you said you hadn't.

Re: Good God

I can only infer from this that you have pu$$ies for friends. I however don't.

I have no doubt that your friends are tough as hell. They are your friends though, right?

Question So...

... they're my friends, what of it?

Re: So...

... they're my friends, what of it?

That's what I thought. Have fun with your play time. Just try not to get in any beefs outside of your 'training' hall.