Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Kung Fu and the UFC, which is more reality based?

when grappling how do you know you can break an arm if your not breaking all of your peers arms in practice.
    We have seen arms broken in NHB tournaments.

Just like a good hook will KO someone because we have seen it in boxing and other contact sports (prob in your school if you practice with contact)

Exactly - my views are aligned with dark night and seven star.

Grapplers have a natural advantage because they can go all out, even in training and get into a position, under full pressure, where they can then apply a lock or choke. To go further and break an arm, I assume, is incredibly easy.

Plenty of people have been choked out in UFC matches, as have arms been broken etc. I have never trained in any grappling style but I can see the distinction, and also why they guys can make their stuff work when it counts.

A very intelligent/experienced MMA guy (TOI) on another forum made an interesting comment, when he remarked that you should judge systems by their weakest students. This seems pretty spot on, because in MMA you are tested to see if you can fight, in kung-fu it is mostly left up to the individual to find their own path and make it work for themselves - which possibly ends with the incredible kung-fu fighters being in the minority, while MMA gaining a better average for good fighters.

I think there is logic in there somewhere

The old MMA double standard

Grapplers have a natural advantage because they can go all out, even in training and get into a position, under full pressure, where they can then apply a lock or choke. To go further and break an arm, I assume, is incredibly easy.
    I know when I grabbed my opponents windpipe if I pulled hard enough, I could have ripped it out or crushed it. Fu&*%^ common sense. Grapplers don't go all out if they're not killing people. Others styles go just as hard. I have had a concussion bruised ribs and inflicted my share of pain as well. Grapplers don't possess a monopoly on full contact.

The fact that I have gotten the best of MMA practioners in past, suggest that all so called traditional CMA are not as weak and useless as you would like to believe.

Ok. I don't practice breaking people's arms. I don't claim that as a special skill. I have, however, broken people's arms in actual confrontations. I don't assume that I can break someone's arm at will in any given situation, and I sure as hell don't offer it as an all-purpose hope/excuse.
    Well according to your confession and past comments on this thread you just practice theory.
    Using the example of the tiger claw:
    If I practice boxing skills, defenssive skills and can see oppenings or weakness in my opponents, just as easily as I can throw a jab, a hook, or any other boxing technique, I can rake your face. If my hands are conditioned, you will lose flesh and possibly an eye. I dont need to see it done simply because I have seen how conditioned hands have gone through harder substances than flesh and its application is executed through boxing skill.

I don't center my fighting around this technique or any other. This was just an example.
    Last edited by reemul; 08-02-2004 at 04:40 PM.

Do aho

Originally posted by reemul
    I know when I grabbed my opponents windpipe if I pulled hard enough, I could have ripped it out or crushed it.

hahahahahahahahaaahahahahaa

Oh, of course!

perhaps your right

his windpipe may have been made of steel

Re: The old MMA double standard

I know when I grabbed my opponents windpipe if I pulled hard enough, I could have ripped it out or crushed it. Fu&*%^ common sense.
    And then you could finally overthrow the rich bad guy who has been bullying the town, leave your job as bouncer at the Roadhouse, and ride off into the sunset with the blond doctor lady.

Re: perhaps your right

his windpipe may have been made of steel

The only thing made of steel is your imagination.

But maybe I misjudge. Tell me, how many windpipes have you ripped out of people's throats?

Re: The old MMA double standard

I can rake your face. If my hands are conditioned, you will lose flesh and possibly an eye. I dont need to see it done simply because I have....

Because you have imagined it so very, very well. And Danny Dojo at the strip mall assures you that it will work because "back in the day" pretty much everyone in Chinatown did this a few times a week.

7*............ ...that's the one ........add an otter twist and knee to base of spine and you have one head deatched from body........

for those who don't think they're capable, soldier on and see you when you get there

Originally posted by blooming lotus
    7*............ ...that's the one ........add an otter twist and knee to base of spine and you have one head deatched from body........

for those who don't think they're capable, soldier on and see you when you get there

Who could argue with such an expert? You already have a mind detached from a brain.

okay...live in your "it's not real " fantasy despite logic,........

lucky I'm such a nice chick

the earth must be flat

Because you have imagined it so very, very well. And Danny Dojo at the strip mall assures you that it will work because "back in the day" pretty much everyone in Chinatown did this a few times a week.
    reasons where stated, learn to read.

you're so sweet ...............

and to be perfectly honest, as a teacher ..........they drive me crazy trying to find a methodof explaination everyone understands..............insults aside....I'll be seriously f*ked if I know how else to elaborate..........................

Originally posted by blooming idiot
    okay...live in your "it's not real " fantasy despite logic,........

lucky I'm such a nice chick

"despite logic"

Uh, sure. Whatever you say.

Re: the earth must be flat

reasons where stated, learn to read.

Tell me, how many windpipes have you ripped out of people's throats?