Thread: The correct way to do crunches/sit ups and push-ups!?!?

The correct way to do crunches/sit ups and push-ups!?!?

Can someone please tell me or give me a link to a site that has illistrations of doing correct crunches/ sit-ups and correct push-ups?

What's the difference from a sit-up and a crunch?

What different ways can I do push-ups? (like arm placement)

How many sit-ups and home many push-ups should I do a DAY to get that ripped look? I'm not looking to get much bigger. I want to use what I have, but flatten it out and tone a bit. Thanks

Re: The correct way to do crunches/sit ups and push-ups!?!?

"Can someone please tell me or give me a link to a site that has illistrations of doing correct crunches/ sit-ups and correct push-ups?" Sorry cant help you here.

"What's the difference from a sit-up and a crunch?"

Traditional Sit Up and not Dr Janda Sit Ups, work the hip flexor whereas traditional crunches do not.

What different ways can I do push-ups? There are many variations based on the wrist or fist postions. Here are some classics: single arms push ups, hindu push ups, and standard. I would highly recommend "Naked Warrior" book.

"How many sit-ups and home many push-ups should I do a DAY to get that ripped look?"

LOL
    Bao Tran, Certified CST Coach
    www.cstwarrior.typepad.com
    Your Success is our Success

Re: The correct way to do crunches/sit ups and push-ups!?!?

Originally posted by mossman
    Can someone please tell me or give me a link to a site that has illistrations of doing correct crunches/ sit-ups and correct push-ups?
    Actually I don't have one but someone else probably does.

What's the difference from a sit-up and a crunch?
    In a situp you go up all the way. In a crunch you only go up part of the way.

What different ways can I do push-ups? (like arm placement)
    Diamond pushup - hands together with index finger and thumb touching. It's called "diamond" pushups because your index finger and thumb are spread open and it makes a diamond in the middle. These work your triceps a lot.

Regular pushups - hands shoulder width apart.

Wide pushups - hands a little wider than shoulder width. Don't go too wide, tho.

Handstand pushups - works your shoulders and triceps a lot and not your chest very much. Most people do them against a wall. A very advanced type of pushup.

How many sit-ups and home many push-ups should I do a DAY to get that ripped look? I'm not looking to get much bigger. I want to use what I have, but flatten it out and tone a bit. Thanks
    The ONLY way to get "ripped" or develop more definition is to lower your bodyfat. Things like pushups and weight lifting will not do this. You need to do things like cardio that burn a lot of calories in order to lower your bodyfat.

Once again, say it with me. The only way to get more definition is to lower your bodyfat precentage. Anyone who tells you otherwise is wrong.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

When you say ripped do you mean look really skinny but when you tense up your muscle bulges out heaps? For eg. Bruce Lee?

If so I think your bodyweight exercises can help you achieve this. The sit ups can help you get ripped abs, chin ups and hand stand pushups could probably make little bulges on your back to add to the 'ripped effect'. And maybe diamond pushups for your pecs? I don't know if these bodyweight exercises will make a slightly overweight person ripped but it would for a skinny person like me.

Originally posted by dodger87
    If so I think your bodyweight exercises can help you achieve this. The sit ups can help you get ripped abs, chin ups and hand stand pushups could probably make little bulges on your back to add to the 'ripped effect'. And maybe diamond pushups for your pecs? I don't know if these bodyweight exercises will make a slightly overweight person ripped but it would for a skinny person like me.
    Maybe you missed this part:

Originally posted by IronFist
    The ONLY way to get "ripped" or develop more definition is to lower your bodyfat. Things like pushups and weight lifting will not do this. You need to do things like cardio that burn a lot of calories in order to lower your bodyfat.

Once again, say it with me. The only way to get more definition is to lower your bodyfat precentage. Anyone who tells you otherwise is wrong.
    Well, let me add one thing. If you're already really skinny and have low bodyfat (ie. an ectomorph who has never worked out), then adding some muscle will make you bigger, and that muscle will by definition be "ripped" because of the already low levels of bodyfat, but adding that muscle won't do anything to change the bodyfat levels, so technically it's not making you "ripped."
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

To be quite honest, doing tons of push ups or sit ups will not by itself change your body composition. It is hard to get lean by using this method.
    Bao Tran, Certified CST Coach
    www.cstwarrior.typepad.com
    Your Success is our Success

Do two hours on the Ab-doer every day. Non-stop. This will be a great cardio exercise and help you lose fat and get really strong.

Dodger87 - diamond pushups will work your triceps way more than your pectorals. A rule of thumb is the closer your arms, the more your triceps are worked, the further apart, the more your pecs are worked. Also, handstand pushups will work your shoulders, but not your back so much.
    "If trolling is an art then I am your yoda.if spelling counts, go elsewhere.........." - BL

"I don't do much cardio." - Ironfist

"Grip training is everything. I say this with CoC in hand." - abobo

Gigi Hadid Does Sit Ups Through Interview with Trainer

It's impossible to search 'sit ups' on our forum. Our search engine doesn't recognize 3 letter words.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Slightly OT

This would be the INCORRECT way to do sit ups.

1 day ago
    Woman says she was paralyzed after doing a sit-up at the gym
    By Melanie Dadourian | Fox News

This fitness fanatic was told she may never walk, but after surgery and physical therapy, the 23-year old is back at the gym with full mobility. ( © SWNS.com)

A fitness fanatic was temporarily paralyzed from the neck down after a gym accident.

Marcelle Mancuso, a 23-year-old from Brazil, was doing an inverted sit-up at her gym in Rio when the strap holding her legs onto the elevated bench came loose and she slipped and fell head-first onto the floor.

The strip that attached the 23-year old bodybuilder to the piece of gym equipment broke and caused the accident. ( © SWNS.com)

An inverted sit-up involves performing an abdominal crunch on a gym bench which is raised on one end.

"I lost all the movements from the neck down when I hit my head on the floor," she told SWNS. "I could move my eyes. I had to keep calm and began to pray," she recalled.

After months of intense physical therapy, Marchelle Mancuso was able to take her first steps. ( © SWNS.com)

The law graduate broke the fifth vertebrae in her neck, knocked another one out of place and squashed a third, compressing her spinal cord. Doctors had to graft bone to her smashed vertebrae and fit a metal plate and screws in her spine.

Her physicians warned she may be a quadriplegic.

(An x-ray shows how doctors put in a plate and screws to help repair the 5th vertebrae.)

"The doctors did not know if I would walk again or if I would stay on a bed forever,” Marcelle recounted to SWNS. "I was afraid, but my faith always spoke louder and I thanked God for being alive.”

It took three months after surgery for Marcelle to take her first steps on her own. "After six months I managed to walk and my legs did not sway any more," she said.

She's now back at the gym and said she's more active than ever.

"It sometimes feels like it was a nightmare I have woken up from," she said.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart