Thread: Deadlifting much easier with belt.

Deadlifting much easier with belt.

Better, too. It doesn't help me much getting it off the floor, but it saves my back from tiring out in the upper range of the lift. I have more endurance with it. Since I can put up more volume, it is good.

Today was a great workout -

1 rep C&J @ 135
    5 reps deadlift @ 225
    10 reps Bench Press @ 135
    deadlift single @ 315, and 4 singles @ 335
    10 reps BP @ 185
    5 reps pullups
    1 rep OH squat @ 135
    Power cleans: 5 singles @ 185, reps 3 and 4 added a jerk

two comments: 1. 335 is now mine 2. abs feel plenty

Well I'm sure you've probably already heard my anti-belt rant, but here you go again.

Relying on a belt will cause imbalances in muscles. If you can lift 335 with a belt, but only 300 without one (I just made the 300 up), if you ever go to exert that much effort without your belt you may end up getting injured. In other words, it's bad if your legs can lift up a weight that your back can't support.

Also, are you going to have a belt in real life? What's the advantage of being able to lift more with a belt?
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

When squatting against a resisting opponent, how likely are you to be able to put on the belt 'fore contact is initiated?

Seriously though, belts is for puzzies. Are you a puzzie, mr. fa_jing?

Gloves are a completely different story. Proper weightlifting gloves practically ooze masculinity.

And don't forget hand wraps for the heavy bag!

*looks at fugged up insertion point of rectus abdominus and shakes fist with rage, then gets sleepy*
    BreakProof BackŪ Back Health & Athletic Performance
    https://sellfy.com/p/BoZg/

"Who dies first," he mumbled through smashed and bloody lips.

^ Actually, gloves can be bad, too. They restrict some reflex mechanism or something. I don't remember. But Pavel said it in his PTP book, so it's probably true.

I recommend them only as a compliment to the rest of my bright red spandex training suit.

Isn't the purpose of deadlifting to develop whole body strength and mass? Putting a belt on is like taking away the core area that is supposed to be worked. When I do deadlifts i don't wear a belt and I do them to strengthen my back. I know that everything else is used but my focus is on the back.
    I once was doing 300 at a gym and this guys comes over, looking all shocked, and he asks me where my belt was and that I could hurt myself. Mind you I only managed something like three or four singles, the point is, I didn't need a belt nor did I injure myself. Of course that was the same workout when a gym monitor came over and expressed displeasure with my use of chalk and how the little white specks were scattered across the floor.
    You guys ever have that happen?
    A unique snowflake

Nope.

Well I did a few deadlift workouts without a belt, and I pulled 335. However, after trying it with a belt, I like it better. I disagree that your core is worked any less. Per lift, yes, but you can do more lifts with the belt. Your core is going to be the limiting factor in your deadlift, so therefore you will always be able to completely work your core. What the belt allows you to do is work the other muscles harder. Also, it provides resistance against pushing the abs out, and thus allows you to work your abs in a different way. I was suprised how sore my abs were afterwards.

Finally, my form was better, my back didn't round as much, so I think the safety argument is off base. That said, lifting without a belt has it's place.

Bin:

I dont wear a belt and I think it is unneccesary. Plus it will not help you or anyone in the long run. Instead of me telling you why I will offer you two essays by Paul Chek: http://www.chekinstitute.com/articles.cfm?select=16 and http://www.chekinstitute.com/articles.cfm?select=17.

Mr. Chek and much what I learned from Pavel seems to be on da money. $$$
    Last edited by FooFighter; 06-19-2004 at 08:46 PM.
    Bao Tran, Certified CST Coach
    www.cstwarrior.typepad.com
    Your Success is our Success

I don't get the "pushing your abs out against the belt" thing? Do they mean like you literally press them out like you're trying to make yourself look fat? That's f-ing uncomfortable. And what would be the benefit of that? Or is that just a weird way of telling you to tense your abs (not pushing them out or pulling them in, just tensing them)? btw, when I deadlift, squat, or bench, I flex my abs hard.

IronFist,

I also disagree about "pushing your abs out against the belt" or not tensing your core when deadlifting. The risk of developing poor bio-motor skills or the possible injuries such as hernia
    from the constant use of the belt is something we should all think about it. I dont wear belts outside the gym because all my pants are fitted properly and I dont plan wearing a belt in gym because I dont think it is manly to claim I can lift so so weight and because the potential risks. I will leave the belts for the old timers and the Mexican workers.

I think the articles which I presented before explained the many cons of the belt better than me but i will just say that if you wear a belt and push your abs outwhen deadlifting, then you arent training your god given belt which we all should be training diligently. I can even see why belts are necessary? Can anyone here give me a good reason? Besides illegal immigrant slaves using them?

Think about this way anyone who in love with the belt. If the core is the limiting factor in the deadlift which I can totally understand, then why not make the core complex stronger instead of avoiding it? For example, doing any heavy pulling movements such as weighted Chins. The forearm is usually the weak link in these movement. So what is the solution? Some choose to use devices or methods to take out the forearms out so they can lift better (usually the body builders take this medicine). However, power lifters and some old school strong men have another solution. Train the weak link itself, heavy! Using the anti grip device for a long time will not help real world pulling power and likewise using the belt for long periods will not help you develop real world lifts.
    I can understand that if "hyperthrophy" is the main goal then functional strength doesnt matter. So any belt or anti weak link devices may have it benefits in this case. By the way, Bin, if your back round naturally while deadlifting than there are many possible reasons such as core weakness, lack of flexibility, poor form, and but not least the dang weight is too heavy. Maybe addressing these possible problems is a better solution than the belt?
    Last edited by FooFighter; 06-21-2004 at 06:40 AM.

Originally posted by fa_jing
    Your core is going to be the limiting factor in your deadlift, so therefore you will always be able to completely work your core.
    My chicken legs are my limiting factor. I failed at 345 last week and it was my legs that wouldn't lift it. Mind you, my "core" (hate that word) is the best it's ever been.

Congrats on the 335, though. Took me a long while to get that high. You'll be outlifting me easily soon.
    "If trolling is an art then I am your yoda.if spelling counts, go elsewhere.........." - BL

"I don't do much cardio." - Ironfist

"Grip training is everything. I say this with CoC in hand." - abobo

Again, I don't think that using a belt is avoiding the core. I can do more volume and work the core the same as without a belt.

Using the belt is all about more volume, the belt isn't doing work for you, so it is your own muscles putting up more volume. I'm not doing another heavy leg exercise so if I can get more out of my deadlift, it is better. Also, it felt good on the clean and jerk. I will continue to do most exercises without a belt though, such as kettlebell work.

As far as pushing the abs out, it is done with your breath, just like when you are not wearing a belt. For this reason, you are supposed to wear the belt tight.

Bin:

Good luck with your lifting, brother. I gave out my view and supported it with some evidence by an expert. If you feel like it and it works better for you, then do it. Bin, if you ever come to NYC like Inic, please PM me. You are more than welcome to work out with me at NYSC.

Your Friend,
    Mr. Bao