Thread: Food for recovery.

Food for recovery.

I'm injured. Have been largely for two weeks, and tho I can feel myself healing, this injury is linked to the site of an old and partially recurring one.

It's largely muscle damage. I don't know if they are ripped, or if they are bruised (can you even bruise a muscle?) or what, but they are very very painful and restricting my movement physically (not just through pain). Maybe some tendons/ligaments/nerves scraping against somewhere they shouldn't. There may also be some joint damage (vertebrae/cartilage between vertebrae).

It's taking its time to heal, so I'm going to go and get an xray to assess the extent of the damage to my vertebrae, and some shiatsu for general realignment.

My question is, is there anything I can eat that will improve the strengthening process? Preferably something that's going to lay down the foundations for stronger muscle connections so there's less chance of recurrance.

I'm thinking lots of protein, iron, other minerals, and vitamins... same as for my training diet... is there anything I should know or am forgetting?

Cheers.

BTW, don't wanna **** on anyone's bonfire, but I'm inclined to stay away from Chinese medicine, cos I can't translate the Chinese into Japanese, and I don't have time to go searching for the ingredients or a good Chinese quack.
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

I dunno dude, but make sure you're getting all your vitamins.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

try adding gelatin to your drinks. Other than that, I can only suggest what I always do: Cod Liver Oil! Stuff seems to fix anything. Take spoonful a day. 2 spoonfuls for first week.

And why can't you translate chinese -> japanese? They both use kanji writing system...

Originally posted by inic
    Other than that, I can only suggest what I always do: Cod Liver Oil! Stuff seems to fix anything. Take spoonful a day. 2 spoonfuls for first week.
    Tell me more about this.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

jeez man, I've been saying cod liver oil for like the past 6 months on here.
    http://www.westonaprice.org/nutritio...dliveroil.html

There's plenty of info if you do a search on the web.
    I've noticed help in my knee since taking it. Not to mention its colon cleansing abilities. (Don't plan on leaving the house about 1 hour after taking CLO)

Re: Food for recovery.

Mat

I hope these products will help you. Please keep an open mind to Holistic health and I understand some of it overrated. However, I have heard good things about Amazon Herbs from some martial artists who recovered from their injuries. I hope you'll recover soon and if you decide to try these products please give me your feedback. I am quite healthy and injury free (Thank God) and dont need such products yet. However I am curious and if I ever get seriously injuried (God forbid), I would sincerely consider using these products. Until, then all the best. http://www.amazon-herb-company.info/...OVMTC=standard .
    Last edited by FooFighter; 06-20-2004 at 02:33 PM.
    Bao Tran, Certified CST Coach
    www.cstwarrior.typepad.com
    Your Success is our Success

w
    t
    f
    ?

Half the stuff on that page has an effect of "enhancing the libido."
    I'm 20. I get any more "enhanced" and I'm never gonna have a clean pair of pants.
    BreakProof BackŪ Back Health & Athletic Performance
    https://sellfy.com/p/BoZg/

"Who dies first," he mumbled through smashed and bloody lips.

LOL at Vash. Sounds like fun, cheers Foo, I've got nothing against holistics: I'll check it out later.

Inic, I'll look into clo too, but your question is easy to answer. I can't read Chinese because Japanese and Chinese are different languages!

I mean French uses the same letters as English, but how's your French?! Japanese uses two syllabic alphabets apart from the Chinese characters. Plus some of the kanji in Japanese have been simplified from the Chinese, some of them have been simplified in Chinese in a different way (or two), and some of the older Chinese words, esp like those for herbs and things just aren't used and/or never have been in Japanese.
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Vash: Trust me, there aint no limit when it comes to your mojo! As you get older the mojo needs a kick sometimes. Depending on your gong lik. (LOL) By the way, a healthy sex drive is my fountain of youth and why I always have a date. <wink>
    Bao Tran, Certified CST Coach
    www.cstwarrior.typepad.com
    Your Success is our Success

I'm no doctor, but I suggest looking into Vitamin B12...

http://www.google.com/search?q=vitam...n&lr=&ie=UTF-8

thats weird cause all the Japanese I know here always go into chinese food stores and write down what they want in kanji and give it to a worker. Then the worker takes them to whatever the items are.

What about glucosamine and chondroitin?
    "If trolling is an art then I am your yoda.if spelling counts, go elsewhere.........." - BL

"I don't do much cardio." - Ironfist

"Grip training is everything. I say this with CoC in hand." - abobo

Dunno Toby... I was talking more about food/medicine, not supps, but what are they anyway?

It's not that strange Inic, you're talking about foods not medicines. Foods are not as obscure as some of the medicines. A lot of the old Chinese medicines still use old kanji which the Japanese don't have (esp for the medicinal roots/herbs etc that don't grow here!). Plus, of course there are some kanji which I can understand in either language, but the compounds of two or more kanji will often have different meanings, or the Chinese will have a different meaning in modern Japanese to its origin. Some of the words have retained some essence of the original meanings and some have changed a lot; some have become more general and some more specific.

If your computer can read kanji in a Japanese script and you're interested I can PM or start another thread or something with some examples if you like. One example is on a thread about the meaning of wushu on the main forum form this year sometime where I was corrected about using modern Japanese, or even a Japanese meaning for 'wu' from the 6th century by which time it'd already changed somewhat from the contemporary Chinese.

Plus, on top of all that, Japanese has far fewer kanji and not very many original ones so the chances of a Chinese person understanding some written Japanese kanji are higher than a Japanese person really understanding written Chinese. Some things are easy for the japanese of course, like the words for bank etc, which are the same in both... myself and my friends who've been to HK or Taiwan have generally had no problem getting aout using the street signs but that's a different story to medicine!!

Originally posted by Mat
    Dunno Toby... I was talking more about food/medicine, not supps, but what are they anyway?
    Well, they're not for muscle injuries, they're for bone/cartilage repair. Here's a good skeptical site that still IMO says it might be worthwhile taking. I thought it might help your vertebrae stay healthy i.e. the spongy crap between the vertebrae (I know nothing about the spine). I'm no glucosamine/chondroitin expert. Just thought it might warrant investigation. Mostly I see them sold in combined tablet form and marketed towards old people because of the supposed benefits for osteoarthritis sufferers.

BTW, I'd agree with inic on the fish oil. I take fish oil for a shoulder injury. Supposed benefits of fish oil are (amongst others) anti-inflammatory properties so that would help with your muscle injury.
    "If trolling is an art then I am your yoda.if spelling counts, go elsewhere.........." - BL

"I don't do much cardio." - Ironfist

"Grip training is everything. I say this with CoC in hand." - abobo

glucosamine/chondroiton is the STUFF. Great for cartilage wear 'n' tear.
    BreakProof BackŪ Back Health & Athletic Performance
    https://sellfy.com/p/BoZg/

"Who dies first," he mumbled through smashed and bloody lips.