Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: San Shou, a great thing for stand up fighters!

Originally posted by Sim Koning
    That's a nice proverb, but using Chin Na on a highly trained fighter is a lot harder than you think. Like I said, go try it, have someone who is a good boxer of any style throw a punch at you and you can try to grab it. Yang Jwing Ming warns people of this in his books.
    Yes I know that it is hard to catch a punch of a fast puncher but Yang Jwing Ming also says that the first step of Chin Na is "Opening the door or the way"(causing a distraction or an opening to be able to catch the "punch) then trapping the punch so the opponent is unable to withdrwas, ramaber the punch may go fast and the technique seem slow while written but in action it mybe as quick as the punch.(an example if one is being grab by the wrist and the opponent is ver y strong we wont be able to perform any chin na with out opening the way or causing adistraction like kicking one o his knees to make him lose attention then in those micro seconds one performs the technique. Yang Jwing Ming another grewat master, I love how he teaches chin na.

Originally posted by Sim Koning
    Too bad he doesn’t realize that he lost his grip on something called reality.
    don't diss him because of one thing, this guy is a very good techer and a true kung fu master, just because he says some things that don't seem logical to you, don't underestimate him.

Again, this is something you are going to want to do with a untrained guy you don't want to hurt, because nomrally its much easier and less risky to hit him again after you stunned him with the first strike, then again, and again and again. Once again Yang Jwing Ming says this himself.

No one said that performing Chin Na is hard bt then again what truly doesn't require hard work in the martial arts. It the same is if one doesn't kick fast then ones opponent is likely to grab most(if not ll of our kicks). he may get one in if he feints and fakes but then again its better if one trains the kicks to be fast.

Brad, do you know Lou Diaz? Lou was very good wushu guy
    I know of him, but never met him. He was on the U.S. team just before I started wushu, I think('95?). I didn't really start getting involved with the larger wushu community until around 2000 though.

don't diss him because of one thing, this guy is a very good techer
    His students seem just a nutty. I don't really understand what makes him a great teacher. The videos I've seen of them look pretty darn bad, and they get online talking about things like being able to spontaneously do styles they never learned through their qigong. It's a bizzare little cult over there.

Originally posted by Brad

His students seem just a nutty. I don't really understand what makes him a great teacher. The videos I've seen of them look pretty darn bad, and they get online talking about things like being able to spontaneously do styles they never learned through their qigong. It's a bizzare little cult over there.
    Jajjajajaj those guys beleive exegeratetly in chi. Thats nothing wrong. You also have to consider that the guy holds thousand dollars seminars about chi kung and he says that if an attendee isn't please with the result that he doesn't have to pay a cent. And he has true Shaolin lineage to one of the monks that escaped the temple while it was burned by th manchus. Even if thsy seem shading with their claims about the internall arts(which we can says anything about until one witness it)the way he trains/teach in the externall aspect he is superb.

At least its not as strange as the Chewbacca master of Shaolin-Do.

Forms are just a more complex form of shadow boxing. Just like shadow boxing, you practice set combinations first until they become second nature, then you do it free form, then you get in a ring and punch someone in the head with it, there you go, application.
    Sim, I understand where you're coming from, but I'm going to disagree. There is a very big difference between forms and shadow boxing.

The practicality of shadowboxing (which is used as a warm up drill, hardly the basis of our training like form work to kungfu) is that it is VERY SHORT BURSTS of strikes and then an immediate return to a stance. ex. guard. slip slip 1-2 guard pivot. 1.1.1-2. slip guard. bob. hook-cross hook. guard..

It is mimicing real fighting, not a 5 minute chain of pre arranged movemements. (esp if you're shadowboxing mma style with sprawls, knees and kicks as well)

btw, I have a long history w/ Jow Ga. I started w/ sifu Hoy Lee and later with Mike Barry. from Siu Hung Kune to Teet Geen Chune, I've done the forms.
    Last edited by ShaolinTiger00; 06-26-2004 at 08:28 AM.
    Fairfax Jiu-Jitsu

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Muay Thai, Capoeira & Mixed Martial Arts

i haven't read all of this thread but in summary, san shou = good. right?
    ________
    Upskirt mature
    Last edited by stubbs; 03-18-2011 at 01:30 PM.

San Shou Guru is correct, the first US person to be a "san shou athlete" under the modern format is Jason Yee

Jason Yee also set up the first US program based upon what we now think of as the San Shou program. He is a pioneer in the sport, a champion, a trainer of champions, and a friend of mine!

I have been involved in the modern version of the sport since 1994. But my teacher was a San Shou instructor (ie a CQC instructor) in the PLA since the 1940's. So we always did military San Shou, meaning we always did fighting. And I've been teaching fighting since I started teaching in 1988.
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

3rdrateIMAkilla Guest
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by Brad
    [B]
    . I don't really understand what makes him a great teacher.

Things like this are very subtle, and not easily seen to an average observer, or internet critic. All I know is, try out his qigong methods , or similar methods that are as good, ( not many out there)! Practice consistently, and see if your opinion of what he says doesn't change . You will be energized beyong what you thought possible, but you have to really do it consistently

[QUOTE]Originally posted by 3rdrateIMAkilla
    [B]
    Originally posted by Brad

. I don't really understand what makes him a great teacher.

Things like this are very subtle, and not easily seen to an average observer, or internet critic. All I know is, try out his qigong methods , or similar methods that are as good, ( not many out there)! Practice consistently, and see if your opinion of what he says doesn't change . You will be energized beyong what you thought possible, but you have to really do it consistently
    Yes, You can't say that he is crazy if you haven't tried out what he does and experience it yourself.

LKFMDC

I also used to get into fights with people outside the Temple. We might go to eat outside and people would say bad things about the Temple or my brothers. I would kick them and made my disciples kick them too. And here in America I feel the same; if you want to say something bad about Shaolin Temple or Shi Yan Ming, buy a ticket, go to China or come to New York. You know who I am and where I am. Sometime you have to use different language to teach people, like action language. Buddha said:"There are millions of different doors for millions of different people."- SYM
    Did you even see this??

So you posted some more nonsense by the so called "monk"

Is it any surprise he'd say stuff like that? But when he got into trouble, for crap he himself started, he didn't live up to the hype

He can keep posting about how tough he is, the reality is that he talked crap about us, when confronted with it, he backed down, then threatened to get a restraining order.

But what do you expect from a guy who claims to be a monk, but has an abandoned wife in China, a wife here in the US, drinks, smokes and eats pork?
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....