Thread: Northern and Southern, (where is there common link)

Northern and Southern, (where is there common link)

My teacher said that Northern kungfu expresses the elongated version of southern, and that southern kungfu is just a shorten version he seems to favor the southern rages, and fighting, but says northern kungfu teaches you where that movement comes from, and south is just more practical and deadly since it deals with killing range?

anyone have any take on this??

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    I beg to differ, there are some real close in Northern forms, such as Ba Ji Ch'uan, Northern Praying Mantis has real southern attitude when it comes to hands-Hsing-Yi is in your face, as is Ba-Kua, but I also heard it was originally Southern that emigrated North. Long arm doesn't mean long range. In Hung-Ga, we use full long arm techniques, but we are knee to knee when we use them. Some said that after the burning of the Northern Temple, they fled South and refined their technique. Well, that's great for all us Southern guys, but I also heard that the Northern Temple was never burned down, the Southern was. So that is that.?

The TRUE link between Northern and Southern styles is "Ego_Extrodinaire". He does Northern Kung Fu (rather, he CLAIMS to) but he really wishes someone would teach him Southern style since it's so much more effective.
    Time
    Slips through fingers
    Like this world of dust

i see more kicking and more elongation in northern , the southern i have seen is more compact. is that better in a fight? maybe, might nto work for you. the art is only as good at the practitioner
    Last edited by Shaolinlueb; 06-21-2004 at 07:18 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.