Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: San Soo

Hybrid View

ewallace Guest

San Soo

I am looking for San Soo instruction in San Antonio, Tx. If anyone knows of anybody willing to teach/train please drop me a line ewallace@budweiser.com

TIA,
    Eric

Victory goes to he who makes the next-to-last mistake.

MonkeySlap Too Guest
    Hey, that quote - I've heard it too, do you know it's source?

I am a big beleiver in luck. The more I work, the more luck I have.

ewallace Guest

It is actually a modified quote from a Russian Chess player named Savielly Grigorievitch Tartakower. I find it true in many other aspects than just games.

- Eric

MIKSANSOO Guest
    web page

"you can take my life, but not my confidence"
    Jimmy H. Woo

ewallace Guest
    Do you know exactly where he teaches? I live in South Texas (San Antonio). I know there is a school in Dallas headed by Master Dale Lockwood.

TIA,
    Eric

MIKSANSOO Guest
    stay clear of that one

"you can take my life, but not my confidence"
    Jimmy H. Woo

iblis73 Guest

Another san antonian!

I just moved to Austin from SA! I'm not aware of any san soo schools in SA at all....I've been wanting to try the style myself. I can however recomend a good wing tsun instructor. Also, Rangels vale tudo is a pretty decent school from what I've heard. Email me at iblis73@yahoo.com and I can give you more info on the martial arts (esp.CMA) scene in San Antonio.

San Soo Kung Fu - General Discussion

paul clark wrote

Listen here is the whole scoop. Chin SUe Dek came from China to America aka Jimmy
    woo. He taught traditional kung fu for the first ten to twelve years, iron body training,
    How to breathe, tradtional forms etc. Right as Vietnam started things changed from
    what I can figure. It was as I can related to my own experience harder to keep students
    if you teach the way he was taught. Not many people like to come to class in sit in a
    low horse for fifteen minutes at a time and do forms a thousand times. They want fast
    food chop saki self defense. So from what I can gather he and some of his students
    made some teaching manuals which consisted of short thirty movement forms and
    techniques. They are a couple hundred of them in each book. Well here is my dilema.
    You see a thousand articles by a thousand different people wearing karate uniforms all
    telling a different story presenting it as gospel and they look like a karate guy doing a
    take down. They don't move at all like Chin sifu( Jimmy woo) or my sifu. THey don't
    recognize my forms, our iron body evercises or anything. They look at it and say
    THat is classical kung fu we don't do that.
    Lo sifu is dead everyone has a different story and I know all this stuff that I cherish but
    I got huge gaps. So what I am thinking about is simply retaining what I know and just
    finding another sifu. I basically have ten traditonal forms no one recognizes and
    thousands of techniques and exercises and a couple hundred short forms in the teaching
    books. So when I found out the link between us and Choy Li Fut from my Si HIng Denny
    who is from Hong Kong He had been researching for about ten years or so I bought all
    the Doc Fai Wong tapes and read his books. I learned a lot and have a lot of new forms.
    Somebody wrote me, a gentleman from wing Chun and suggested that Hung ga is a
    surname for the Chin Family. I don't know. I am thinking of cross training and learning
    Hung gar. Does anybody know of some Hung gar Sifu in Michigan or Canada who would
    take a student with a letter of recomendation? I really wnat to continue and learn from a
    master who believes that lineage, and history is important. If all these teachers for all
    these years taught and learned and improved upon things why shouldn't we learn and
    retain what they they so dilligently seeked? I don't want to give up but what is CHoy Li
    Ho Fut Hung Ga? WHo am I?

paul clark

------

Please keep any BS posts to the other thread ...

I think that sansoo style is a combination of many shaolin styles with choy lay fut being a small part of it. If the chan or chin siu hung in question was the same as the one of choy lay fut fame then there is a good possibility that there is a choy lay fut link. I feel the thing to remember is that the same chan siu hung was not a blood relitave of chan heung and that his family might have studied a different kind of martial art and had it passed down to jimmy woo. I have heard that chan siu hung has a relative living somewhere in L.A. It might be benificial to try to locate him.

Hello

I recall reading an article about the sansoo community had finally decided on chosing a grandmaster for the system since jimmy woo had passed away for such a long time.

I can't seem to find the article...but perhaps if someone knew what i was talking about can contact the current leader of the system?

Paul Clark,

What you learned was CLF as passed down by Chin Siu Dek or Jimmy Woo in the early days, so if you want to go down the traditional path then you should do CLF as your cross training. Sifu Paul Chan from Canada is your best bet, he has the same lineage as Sifu Chin who studied with Chan Siu-Hung, one of Chan Koon Pak's top disciples before he left China, Chan Siu Hung's son is still alive and lives in Toishan.

If what you said is true, then Sifu Chin have changed his teaching since Vietnam so as to reach a wider audience. The name Choi Li Ho Fut Hung is a little more difficult to explain, do you know when he changed it from Kung Fu San Soo? Hung is definitely not a surname for Chin Family.

Iron-silk,

The grandmastership was passed onto his daughter's son. Sadly his son was not interested in Kung Fu.

Monk-weed,

Chan Siu Hung do not have a relative living in LA, you are probably thinking of Chan Heung, whose great great grandson, Ng Fu-Heng lives and teaches in LA.
    Last edited by extrajoseph; 03-16-2003 at 02:39 AM.

:)

ExtraJoseph

Thanks for your information..

i am not clf or san soo...

i always learn a lot from ur posts...

----

are there any pratitioner from very early days of jimmy woo teaching there more "traditional kung fu" (for lack of a better word :/ )..

Thank you extrajoseph, that's who it was.

the whole grandmaster thing

Jimmy actually told people that to be a grandmaster, your grandchild has to be a black belt. From this statement, certain people have claimed to be "grandmasters". Using this definition, it's perfectly possible to have more than one grandmaster in a system.

By the way, for the person in michigan: www.sansoomichigan.com

In addition, I have read that the Hung character in TLHFH is not the same as the hung character in Hung gar

i haven't found the article yet but I think the leader of the system wasn't chosen by Jimmy but by the members of the style...i think...

Also grandmaster could mean an indivdual whom produced masters? But that is different from a leader?